Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Atlantis have stayed at the bottom of the ocean?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Atlantis have stayed at the bottom of the ocean?

FYI this isn't a SGA bashing thread, just I was thinking it could have made the show a bit more interesting if Atlantis had stayed at the bottom of the ocean, maybe till a season finale, season 2 perhaps.

Atlantis could have bearly had enough power to keep the shield up so gating back to Earth couldn't have been possible.. basically they try to go home... they die so they're only choice is to explore pegasus, which I think is a bit more interesting then just not having enough power to go home.

Obviously the season 1 finale would have to be changed but I think it really would have given Atlantis's rising a bigger wow factor.
    I dunno what to put in here now..

That would have been a cool opening, but then again Rodney seemed to figure out things pretty quickly I would think if that was the case it would be a few episodes(maybe half way through the season) before Rodney got used to the Atlantis systems and figured out how to rise the city.
    sigpic

Comment

I can see what you're saying...the idea that they'd have that ever-present threat of being crushed or drowned by water literally hanging over their heads might have injected a lot more tension into the series, and I'll admit I like the idea of a Stargate base at the bottom of the ocean, but frankly I think season 1 worked perfectly well as it was. I have very few problems with it - it's everything after season 1 that concerns me!

If power to the shield would have been in that short supply, they most certainly wouldn't have risked exploring the city, or probably even dialling offworld much for fear of putting too much strain on the shield and other systems.
      And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
      sigpic
      Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

That would have been really cool. I like the concept of the city being underwater, but then again that sequence in Rising was awesome when Atlantis rose to the surface.

Also with it being underwater it would have led to some totally different story lines.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
          That would have been really cool. I like the concept of the city being underwater, but then again that sequence in Rising was awesome when Atlantis rose to the surface.

Also with it being underwater it would have led to some totally different story lines.
          It gives fishing a whole new meaning.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

It'd be interesting, that's for sure. But... the scene where it rises out of the ocean is amazing! I kind of adore it.

Spoiler:
            The only real problem with the location of Atlantis is the fact that it's on Earth... that's so wrong! Just sayin'...

Comment

Me too, but I think that sequence at the end of season 1 or something would have had a bigger impact cos we'd all be so used to Atlantis at the bottom of the ocean...

Comment

in fact it would be kinda like SG:U dont you think???... i hope SG:U doesnt go that round and have somehow
                Spoiler:
                contact to earth like sga did after season one, that kinda killed the show a bit
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sp!der View Post
                  in fact it would be kinda like SG:U dont you think???... i hope SG:U doesnt go that round and have somehow
                  Spoiler:
                  contact to earth like sga did after season one, that kinda killed the show a bit
                  Technically they already have contact with Earth through the Ancient communication stones. But I know what you mean, I hope the contact with the SGC is minimal, just through the stones and that's it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                    FYI this isn't a SGA bashing thread, just I was thinking it could have made the show a bit more interesting if Atlantis had stayed at the bottom of the ocean, maybe till a season finale, season 2 perhaps.

Atlantis could have bearly had enough power to keep the shield up so gating back to Earth couldn't have been possible.. basically they try to go home... they die so they're only choice is to explore pegasus, which I think is a bit more interesting then just not having enough power to go home.

Obviously the season 1 finale would have to be changed but I think it really would have given Atlantis's rising a bigger wow factor.
                    If I remember correctly, the arrival of the Atlantis Expedition caused the power supply to drop too rapidly, and Atlantis itself began the rise to the surface. There wasn't enough power for the shields, which were already starting to fail, which was why Atlantis began to rise, so staying on the ocean floor was not an option. However, had there been enough power to keep the shields up for an indefinite period, it could have been very interesting to see how they managed to live beneath the surface.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      If I remember correctly, the arrival of the Atlantis Expedition caused the power supply to drop too rapidly, and Atlantis itself began the rise to the surface. There wasn't enough power for the shields, which were already starting to fail, which was why Atlantis began to rise, so staying on the ocean floor was not an option. However, had there been enough power to keep the shields up for an indefinite period, it could have been very interesting to see how they managed to live beneath the surface.
                      The problem with that if you have the shield then you should have the power for an 8th chevron lock
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                        The problem with that if you have the shield then you should have the power for an 8th chevron lock
                        I'm thinking the writers would have come up with some excuse to say there was enough power for the shields or enough power to dial the 8th Chevron, but not both. It doesn't have to make sense to the writers.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          I'm thinking the writers would have come up with some excuse to say there was enough power for the shields or enough power to dial the 8th Chevron, but not both. It doesn't have to make sense to the writers.
                          Ya thats what I meant, like if they decide to go home the city will be destroyed.

Comment

It would have been cool for an episode or two; but I very much liked the fact that the wraith learned of atlantis' reactivation and pounced on it leading to the battle for atlantis climax and this requires the city to be above the surface
                            I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

I disagree, respectivley of course. I think staying at the bottom of Ocean would get boring. Fast.
                              Mainly because. it will revolve around them trying to get more power, athosians will have nowhere to go but the city and to be fair. The whole "Before i sleep" episode will be none existent. AND I LOVE THAT EPISODE!
                              (:

Comment

Working...
                              X