Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant bobsuncorp's Avatar

Default Eli's magic room

So we have a really bad situation going down and coincedentally Eli has found a part of the ship that has never been seen before? Methinks the two will end up being related. Namely that Eli will find a control system or a device or something that will end up saving the day.

Maybe he will find a stockpile of Kino's with laser guns attached that he can then send against the LA soldiers to take them all out. Maybe he will find the transporter room and be able to beam all the baddies off the ship. Maybe something else.

Any suggestions?

Staff Sergeant

Default Re: Eli's magic room

I doubt the Destiney has beaming tech, but you are probably correct that Eli may save the day, maybe he finds Franklin?

I would hope that whatever discovery Eli inevitably makes, isn't a deus ex machina to resolve the LA incursion, but rather something that leads to a future development. Like how they found the chair in Life but it wasn't used until Justice, Human, and Sabotage.

I think he's more likely to find the ship's sick bay and save Chloe.

That and some Destiny style hand held weapons.

Also, didn't those orange tubes look a lot like stasis pods ?
    Carter:"The singularity is about to explode!"

Wouldn't the bridge be at the front of the ship?

Quote Originally Posted by VOOK View Post
    Only if you want to provide an obvious target.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsuncorp View Post
    So we have a really bad situation going down and coincedentally Eli has found a part of the ship that has never been seen before? Methinks the two will end up being related. Namely that Eli will find a control system or a device or something that will end up saving the day.

Maybe he will find a stockpile of Kino's with laser guns attached that he can then send against the LA soldiers to take them all out. Maybe he will find the transporter room and be able to beam all the baddies off the ship. Maybe something else.

Any suggestions?
    Perhaps it's the Room of Requirement (a.k.a The Come and Go Room)
    Mourning Sanctuary.
    Thanks for the good times!

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by VOOK View Post
    Surely the best place to have a bridge, as well as any critical location, would be within the very heart of the ship, somewhere that is quite a long way from the outside hull, thus lowering the chance of critical damage to that area.

On the otherhand, the ships current Control Room is located in what would APPEAR to be such an area, but it's a bit too close to the stargate in my opinion, which is within major risk of infiltration. However, as seen on friday, its far enough away that an incursion can't get that far... yet?

Lieutenant Colonel

a room with a goat in it

Well, as per all Stargate end-of-season episodes (except the Atlantis ending), I wouldn't expect much to happen this season. It might just be me but it wouldn't seem like that good of a cliffhanger if all of the sudden the main part of the season finale was resolved in this last episode.

My money is on things getting worse before they get better. I do think Eli will find something though, just saying we will likely have to wait.

I think it's gonna be the bridge. We haven't found it yet, and that would be a key to all their season 1 issues (although I'm not sure how finding the steering wheel will help with the LA issue.) As for it being an easy target if it's placed at the front of the ship, spaceships have pretty decent targeting capabilities--placing it at the front versus the back (but still facing forward) wouldn't make much difference.

The bridge could be anywhere. In the back, even deep inside in the middle of the ship (this would be the safest place). You have screens, you don't need it to be front facing; or have any direct contact with the exterior for that matter.
    Carter:"The singularity is about to explode!"

One thing is for sure, this area of the ship is completely and utterly unexciting so far, I hope they find something interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by brian_177 View Post
    I think it's gonna be the bridge. We haven't found it yet, and that would be a key to all their season 1 issues (although I'm not sure how finding the steering wheel will help with the LA issue.)
    Actually, they have two valid bridge candidates, the control nexus and the chair. The reason that they do not have control of the ship's flight path is because they haven't figured out the password, not because they have not found the bridge.
    "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
    - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
    - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
    - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by Quadhelix
    Actually, they have two valid bridge candidates, the control nexus and the chair. The reason that they do not have control of the ship's flight path is because they haven't figured out the password, not because they have not found the bridge.
    I'm not buying it--unless the weird noises we heard when the ship was melting that dude was the computerized voice of that dude who was sucked up by the chair. (Don't remember his name.)

My point is that it's pretty much Sci-Fi law (and Stargate has generally stuck to this, it seems) that spaceships have a forward facing bridge with room for commanding officer and several crew members. This includes the SGA Aurora class ships that are surely more advanced than Destiny. I think the control room is just that, a control room--and we've seen lots of them on ships before. It doesn't seem like the place the Ancients intended to pilot the ship from when they arrived.

Eli didn't just find a new room that no one else had, they knew what it did but just hadn't got around to exploring it yet...
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Chief Master Sergeant

Unfortunately thats not the case: For some reason there are no markings to what the room do. They know they exist but not what is in them. For some reason lantian design has no markings whats so ever, just endless corridors. Look at Atlantis. Look at Destiny. We mark things like office, w.c. etc.
    Making me think lantians had some kind of special spacial orientation gene.

It could be any room. My best would be the lantian sick-bay.

Second Lieutenant

This series will jump the shark if they find....gasp! Replicators.

It was luck. The odds could have gone in the direction of them transported to a vented compartment.

The above image (if I've managed to insert it correctly) shows the observation deck in the centre, to our left is the dome that was discovered in the first ep (the one with the big hole in the ceiling) and I believe the big tower is the bridge. Based on the basic designs of human built sea going ships, that is how we always build them because it gives the best viewpoint. While it is true that the bridge could easily be buried deep within the ship on a vessel with control links throughout, you could also make the arguement that crewed compartments need to be near the surface so there is a greater chance of reaching escape pods, so IMO that is a wash.
    Last edited by bobsuncorp; June 6th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

sgu_101_0027.jpg

OK lets try this again.