Magic Door openers.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AdmlDj View Post
    ive said this in another thread but here goes again THE LUCIAN ALLIANCE ARE CRIMINALS they probably break into locked places all over our galaxy whos to say they couldnt develop some sort of universal lock pick the fact that it was round is probably a coincidence
    Good idea.. makes sense, another thing Ive been saying is that well the door mechanism is round and made of metal and turns when the door opens... so really all they'd need is... a strong magnet.
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
      Good idea.. makes sense, another thing Ive been saying is that well the door mechanism is round and made of metal and turns when the door opens... so really all they'd need is... a strong magnet.
      I think that, as a bunch of thieves and criminals, having something that was all around useful at cracking a door could very well be standard equipment?
      sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Umm... unless the door is LOCKED.... In RL we have doorknobs that are round and made of metal and turn when the door opens, but I'd like to see you open a locked door with just a magnet.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenomenological View Post
          WEIR: How do I choose between Zero Point Module research and their work on ascension? Between weapons schematics and their notes on space travel? No matter what we choose here, invaluable information's gonna be lost, and that is just the information that we've deciphered. Now we all know we have barely even begun to scratch the surface. What if we destroy the cure for all disease, or even some piece of information that could lead to the downfall of the Wraith?

Nope, nothing at all.
          Yup. We have seen many indications that a LOT of stuff we would have liked to have, were not there. Heck all the manuals for operation and use could be in the ancient database, but we have not found them yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Makenshi View Post
            uh... they do not control Earth...

Destiny was launched from here, you know...
            Then wherever it was made or planned from. Cuz all of NASAs missions are thought of, made, built then launched from Kennedy AMIRITE?

Comment

The LA know more about Destiny than...well, anyone else, from the looks of things. They came prepared. Somewhere along the line, they came into possession of knowledge that made them think that destiny was worth taking. I would be willing to bet that they got this intel from a Goa'uld, probably the one who built the pyramid on the planet in Incursion Part One. The Goa'uld were not innovators, they were scavengers of Ancient tech, and the one who built a pyramid on a planet that was capable of dialing Destiny probably did so because of something he learned - or another of his kind, genetic memory and all - that made him think that Destiny was worth scavenging. Perhaps he was someone like Nerus, a Goa'uld scientist, who used his slaves to build a base from which to find Destiny. He set everything up, but - like Rush - was unable to do the math necessary to get there, or to figure out the unique addressing scheme. But he did have knowledge of the ship, and the LA used that to build the lockpicks and other toys we haven't seen yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dgh64 View Post
                Are you sure it was launched from Earth? I think in the pilot Rush said it was launched from "here" but he could've been talking about "somewhere in the Milky Way". The Ancients were doing things on a lot of planets all over the place, and there wasn't anything particularly special about Earth (except that that's where Atlantis was parked for a while, but that was millions of years later).

If it wasn't launched from Earth, here's what I think happened:

You don't go to the middle of nowhere to build a ship. You use a drydock. That drydock would probably have the same level of technology (particularly, door design) as the ship you're building. Its computers would also contain a lot of design information and blueprints about the ship you're building.

After you launch the ship, any number of things can happen over the next million years causing the gate address to be lost. Remember, this was a looooooong time before the Goa'uld arrived on the scene. So, the Goa'uld never found the planet, but somehow the Lucian Alliance did, and they figured out Destiny's mission, its technology, and how its doors worked.
                Thank you. Reread earlier posts. Most of this has been said, ....

Comment

Are you sure it was launched from Earth? I think in the pilot Rush said it was launched from "here" but he could've been talking about "somewhere in the Milky Way". The Ancients were doing things on a lot of planets all over the place, and there wasn't anything particularly special about Earth (except that that's where Atlantis was parked for a while, but that was millions of years later).

If it wasn't launched from Earth, here's what I think happened:

You don't go to the middle of nowhere to build a ship. You use a drydock. That drydock would probably have the same level of technology (particularly, door design) as the ship you're building. Its computers would also contain a lot of design information and blueprints about the ship you're building.

After you launch the ship, any number of things can happen over the next million years causing the gate address to be lost. Remember, this was a looooooong time before the Goa'uld arrived on the scene. So, the Goa'uld never found the planet, but somehow the Lucian Alliance did, and they figured out Destiny's mission, its technology, and how its doors worked.
                  Why would the doors be the same? A drydock is a facility that would predate the ship, unless you think Destiny and the facility it was built in were constructed in parallel. For all we know, the dry dock could already have been thousands of years old by the time they started building Destiny.

Comment

Ancient Scientist #1: "Hey, I think we should build a ship. The most advanced ship we've built to date. It'll explore the universe for the next hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of years."
                    Ancient Scientist #2: "You're right. Let's use this thousand year old dock with outdated equipment."
                    A.S. #1: "Good idea!"

I don't think so...

Comment

You are aware, that not all metals are affected by magnetic fields? An aluminium or titanium lock mechanism would be completely unaffected by even the strongest of magnetic fields.

Comment

Ancient Scientist #1: "Hey, I think we should build a ship. The most advanced ship we've built to date. It'll explore the universe for the next hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of years."
                        Ancient Scientist #2: "You're right. Let's use this thousand year old dock with outdated equipment."
                        A.S. #1: "Good idea!"

I don't think so...
                        Yeah, I agree, you didn't think too hard. Does Ford build a new factory for each new car?

Oasis of the seas took six years to build. The Turku shipyards, where it was built, have been around for nearly 300 years. Yes, they have upgraded and expanded over time, changed owners, all that. But to think that someone just up and builds a giant shipyard, and only one giant ship at that ship yard, and they build them both all at once, that is just ludicrous.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
                          You are aware, that not all metals are affected by magnetic fields? An aluminium or titanium lock mechanism would be completely unaffected by even the strongest of magnetic fields.
                          The way the devices unfolded the star-shaped leaf things and lit up leads me to believe they're much more complicated than just magnets. They probably have some sort of electronic thing that overrides the door's controls.

Re the factory, yes of course they don't build a new factory for each new car, but if someone invented a better microchip that runs faster and is smaller and uses less energy, they'd probably install it in the cars AND in the factory robots that build them, at least within a few years of each other. That's just one example.

Even if the drydock facility had completely outdated tech when Destiny was built, its computers would still have all Destiny's blueprints and specs. They didn't build ships by making it up as they went along. So, even if the drydock's doors are completely different, the LA would still be able to get enough information from the computers to build a door-opening device.
                          Last edited by dgh64; 10 June 2010, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Umm... unless the door is LOCKED.... In RL we have doorknobs that are round and made of metal and turn when the door opens, but I'd like to see you open a locked door with just a magnet.
                            Well a strong magnet, combined with some electronic turning giggity would work nicely actually, even on a locked door.

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
                            Ya I know, but we don't know what the destiny is contructed from... it's more then likely some uber advanced alloy, while I doubt they'd make the hull itself out of something magnetic, having magnetic seals on doors and such isn't such a bad idea.

Or maybe someone aboard the ship may have done maintenance on a door, filed a report on it back at SGC which Telford then gave to the LA.

Or the LA as professional criminals have space aged lock picks..

There are plenty of reasonable explanations.. they're hardly magic door openers..
                            I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Working...
                            X