Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Young is Clearly Not a Villain.

Young is clearly not a villain.

I hope that Young’s action not to evacuate the air from the Gateroom to protect both Rush and Telford’s lives puts to rest once and for all the assertion by some that Young still has it in for Rush or that he is this heartless villain. His restraint clearly demonstrates that he tried to do the right thing and to protect the lives of all those under his command. O’Neil chastised him directly for not sacrificing both their lives and threatened to remove him from command because of it. Although in all fairness O’Neil is a hypocrite; when the Replicators still had Sam he could have stopped them if he had used his disrupter weapon on their ship before it lifted off; he was unwilling to fire because it would have meant sacrificing her life to do so.

Imo Young’s action to maroon Rush on the planet was an isolated incident; it was a clear mistake done in anger and was provoked by Rush’s actions and behaviors. Since Divided Rush has been a different man and the animosity between them is no longer present anywhere to the degree it had been before.

I dunno, I felt that all the incidents of Young's supposed benevolence were wholly for Telford's sake, not Rush's. He could have lifted the stones as soon as Telford had been given the ok by TJ, but he kept him there even against Telford's recommendation specifically about Rush being in grave danger. Telford seemed concerned about Rush but Young was more pleased that he had his buddy back. I wouldn't call Young a villain since that would be unreasonable, but frankly, I doubt his anger issues toward Rush have gone anywhere and that he has absolutely no problem risking Rush's life for the sake of people he cares more about.

Comment

I don't think that's the case. Young didn't vacuum the gate room because it would have killed both, or so as he thought at the time, I dont think he knew they had switched. Besides, it's been more apparent that Rush and Young have been working together and bridging the gaps between the two. They are no longer enemies.

Comment

I'm still waiting to see Rush and Young playing chess when a crisis breaks out. I hope the writers don't blow off that awesome set up!!
        "Specialization is for Insects" - Heinlein -

Comment

Originally posted by Tielster View Post
          I'm still waiting to see Rush and Young playing chess when a crisis breaks out. I hope the writers don't blow off that awesome set up!!
          At some point I agree that scene will be portrayed.

Comment

Rush even accuses Young of not venting the gate room because he wanted to protect Telford, not Rush. So who really knows. Young does not even need to know that Rush was inhabiting Telford's body or not. Telford's body dies, Telford's consciousness dies. Hence Rush's accusation.

Comment

Originally posted by ONeill4tW View Post
              Rush even accuses Young of not venting the gate room because he wanted to protect Telford, not Rush. So who really knows. Young does not even need to know that Rush was inhabiting Telford's body or not. Telford's body dies, Telford's consciousness dies. Hence Rush's accusation.
              No one but Rush and Telford knew that the stones connections were severed when Telford's body came through the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackhole View Post
                Young is clearly not a villain.

I hope that Young’s action not to evacuate the air from the Gateroom to protect both Rush and Telford’s lives puts to rest once and for all the assertion by some that Young still has it in for Rush or that he is this heartless villain. His restraint clearly demonstrates that he tried to do the right thing and to protect the lives of all those under his command. O’Neil chastised him directly for not sacrificing both their lives and threatened to remove him from command because of it. Although in all fairness O’Neil is a hypocrite; when the Replicators still had Sam he could have stopped them if he had used his disrupter weapon on their ship before it lifted off; he was unwilling to fire because it would have meant sacrificing her life to do so.

Imo Young’s action to maroon Rush on the planet was an isolated incident; it was a clear mistake done in anger and was provoked by Rush’s actions and behaviors. Since Divided Rush has been a different man and the animosity between them is no longer present anywhere to the degree it had been before.
                No, he's definitely not a villain and in fact, I think we were presented with Kiva to see what a real villain looked like. Now, as far as TV shows go, Young is not some pure "I will thwart evil!" sort of hero either but that is such a breath of relief. If he had hated Rush, as some believe wholeheartedly, he could have easily ventilated that gateroom and everyone all the way up to O'Neill would have backed him up wholeheartedly on it. In fact, O'Neill seems a little pissed that he didn't. Both Rush and Young have grown as characters and while they may never be friends, I believe that when Young chose to scuttle a perfectly acceptable military plan to vent that room, it was done to save Rush's life. He had no way to know it wasn't Rush down there in Telford's body, and at that moment, Rush was one of 'his' men, and Young has had enough of losing his people.

me too
                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by evilgrin
                  ...He had no way to know it wasn't Rush down there in Telford's body, and at that moment, Rush was one of 'his' men, and Young has had enough of losing his people.
                  Actually, if you took the standpoint that who was in the gate room was an unknown, that still doesn't score brownie points for Young, since given that, had it been Rush in there and he vented the atmosphere, it wouldn't matter since Telford would still die because his body would be killed. lol, much would have to happen for Rush to be considered anything of Young's, let alone one of 'his men'.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
                    No, he's definitely not a villain and in fact, I think we were presented with Kiva to see what a real villain looked like. Now, as far as TV shows go, Young is not some pure "I will thwart evil!" sort of hero either but that is such a breath of relief. If he had hated Rush, as some believe wholeheartedly, he could have easily ventilated that gateroom and everyone all the way up to O'Neill would have backed him up wholeheartedly on it. In fact, O'Neill seems a little pissed that he didn't. Both Rush and Young have grown as characters and while they may never be friends, I believe that when Young chose to scuttle a perfectly acceptable military plan to vent that room, it was done to save Rush's life. He had no way to know it wasn't Rush down there in Telford's body, and at that moment, Rush was one of 'his' men, and Young has had enough of losing his people.
                    Well put and I agree.

Comment

It takes time to carve out pieces, especially if you're forced to use a survival knife rather than a craftman's tools. It's only been a month to 6 weeks since he started carving, and we all know Rush is worked like a dog on that ship

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                        Actually, if you took the standpoint that who was in the gate room was an unknown, that still doesn't score brownie points for Young, since given that, had it been Rush in there and he vented the atmosphere, it wouldn't matter since Telford would still die because his body would be killed. lol, much would have to happen for Rush to be considered anything of Young's, let alone one of 'his men'.
                        The fact is he thought that both Rush and Telford would die. He thought it was Rush in the gateroom and decided not to vent the atmo. The idea that he just wanted to save Telford is absurd. You really think that if Rush was there in his own body Young wouldn't have hesitated?

Perfecto!

Comment

The fact is he thought that both Rush and Telford would die. He thought it was Rush in the gateroom and decided not to vent the atmo. The idea that he just wanted to save Telford is absurd. You really think that if Rush was there in his own body Young wouldn't have hesitated?
                          No I don't think he would have hesitated. We already saw him subject Rush to a near death experience for the sake of Telford, and we saw him leave Rush in enemy captivity and under duress so that Telford could 'regain his strength'. He could easily chalk that up under the 'greater good' column without losing any sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
                            No I don't think he would have hesitated. We already saw him subject Rush to a near death experience for the sake of Telford, and we saw him leave Rush in enemy captivity and under duress so that Telford could 'regain his strength'. He could easily chalk that up under the 'greater good' column without losing any sleep.
                            If he really believed in 'the greater good' he would have vented the atmo not caring if both Telford and Rush died.

Perfecto!

Comment

If he really believed in 'the greater good' he would have vented the atmo not caring if both Telford and Rush died.
                              Indeed, something Rush reminded him of later. He let his feelings for a friend that he just regained get in the way.

Comment

Working...
                              X