X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
    Not from Wikipedia:
    http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html#DN

Look under the question: If the Universe is only 14 billion years old, how can we see objects that are now 47 billion light years away?
    Congratulations.

I shall put your name forward for the Nobel prize this year. (Yes, I'm being rude this time. Bite me. )

As for the other things, once again it's impossible to be logical and try to apply our real life physics to the show. This is SGU. Supergates and ZPMs don't exist in this show unlike the previous two (I don't see that changing anytime soon). The universe itself is different than in real life, the cosmology isn't the same either. Like I said before, the Stargate universe contradicts itself quite a lot, so all we can do is throw ideas and opinions out there, cause we simply can't know for sure. I'm sure even the show runners don't bother thinking about that kind of detail.

Now, it's pretty much been established that Destiny's FTL is either as fast or faster than a ZPM-powered 304. I deduce that from the fact that they crossed the void between galaxies in about the same time it took a ZPM-powered 304 to go from the Milky Way to Pegasus. Then again, it wasn't specified in the show how long it took, so it's all a guestimate.

So if Destiny took millions of years to get to where it's at, how could a 304 get there in 73 years?

Some things are simply not meant to make sense. It's sci-fi, after all. The only laws are those set by the writers.

Comment

Originally posted by SciFiRick View Post
      Yep, That is right. But wasn't that what it took to move from the Ori galaxy to the Milky Way gakaxy? I don't remember how much further that is compared to Pegasus & the Milky Way but I guess it is up to interpretation if a black hole powered Super Gate can take a ship to that great a distance to reach Destiny.
      There's one more problem: You need another supergate on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
        Now, it's pretty much been established that Destiny's FTL is either as fast or faster than a ZPM-powered 304. I deduce that from the fact that they crossed the void between galaxies in about the same time it took a ZPM-powered 304 to go from the Milky Way to Pegasus. Then again, it wasn't specified in the show how long it took, so it's all a guestimate.
        Err, where has that been established? As you said it's all a complete guess as you have no idea of the distance between the two galaxies Destiny travelled from and to. Neither do you have any details of the time it actually took to travel between the 2 galaxies, the only thing we do know for sure is that the travel time was thought to be long enough that they needed to implement strict food and water rationing during the crossing. All in all I think we're a long way from establishing that Destiny's FTL is anywhere near as fast as a ZPM-powered 304.

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
          Err, where has that been established? As you said it's all a complete guess as you have no idea of the distance between the two galaxies Destiny travelled from and to. Neither do you have any details of the time it actually took to travel between the 2 galaxies, the only thing we do know for sure is that the travel time was thought to be long enough that they needed to implement strict food and water rationing during the crossing. All in all I think we're a long way from establishing that Destiny's FTL is anywhere near as fast as a ZPM-powered 304.
          Well it's a best guess. In the end like you said, there's no way to know. At least not yet but it is likely we simply won't get clear answers on that subject. As much as it's interesting to wonder and discuss, it's not relevant to the show, unfortunately.

But you bring up a good point with the food rationing, I had completely forgotten about that.

Comment

Demerzel,

You sure are right about the Stargate universe contradicting itself. In the first movie Abydois was in "The Kaylem Galaxy.. On the other side of the known universe." Then in "Children of the Gods" They said it was the closest gate to Earth.

Early on in SG1 they would make statments like p3x blah blah blah is several galaxys away. It was't until later in the show that they established that they were just bouncing around the local Milky Way gate network.

Who knows what they'll come up with next.
            Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Demerzel,

You sure are right about the Stargate universe contradicting itself. In the first movie Abydois was in "The Kaylem Galaxy.. On the other side of the known universe." Then in "Children of the Gods" They said it was the closest gate to Earth.

Early on in SG1 they would make statments like p3x blah blah blah is several galaxys away. It was't until later in the show that they established that they were just bouncing around the local Milky Way gate network.

Who knows what they'll come up with next.
              By the way.

Subversion was in my video playlist and randomly started playing an hour ago, and I paid attention to the scene with Telford and Young when Telford says they're on duty and shouldn't drink. The scene you took your 20 billion light years from. Well. Watch it again, when you can, and turn the volume up. Young says "We're both A billion light years from the closest disciplinary hearing.". A billion. One. He never says twenty.

Just saying.

Comment

I know, I'm a Leo. I just wish people would get it right for once!
                WEll if you are a Leo, as the lion 'king',you ARE right..

Its just that i am left therefore i am more right than you

I think Kiva will be killed, and Varro will order the rest to surrender and work with the Icarus group. He seems pretty reasonable.
                With the way P2 ended, i certainly hope so. He does seem more reasonable.

Here is another theory. Assuming Destiny is constantly collecting and storing data. Could this information being constantly sent back through sub space? If so, would it make sense that there is a receiving station in the Milky Way or on Earth? Is it safe to say that the Lantians wouldn't want to wait years or even thousands of years to analyze the data?
                Nothing we have seen so far, indicates that ANYTHING about it is coming back, otherwise they would have known it's condition.

Comment

I know this topic is almost dead since J_schinderlin56 has stopped replying but I'll post it anyway in case you see it.

In Incursion Part 2 when Eli and Chloe have their conversation about her friends on earth not being real friends, Eli clearly says "they're a billion years away". Second time a main character directly gives one billion light years as their distance from earth. So I think it's pretty safe to say this is the right number.

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel View Post
                    I know this topic is almost dead since J_schinderlin56 has stopped replying but I'll post it anyway in case you see it.

In Incursion Part 2 when Eli and Chloe have their conversation about her friends on earth not being real friends, Eli clearly says "they're a billion years away". Second time a main character directly gives one billion light years as their distance from earth. So I think it's pretty safe to say this is the right number.
                    or it could be a way of saying "it's a really freaking long way". Might as well say a bagillion
                    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

In Air you see Rush access the Destiny's routemap thus far, if your really that bothered about the distance travelled then perhaps study that, it should give some indication as to exactly how far from Earth the ship has travelled, even if its not to scale?
                      Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Working...
                      X