• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ill second that reccommendation
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Originally posted by HaMm3r View Post
      I've been wondering the same thing. Sadly though, kwlafayette's threads have the potential to be great contributions and points of discussion. He clearly puts a lot of thought and effort into many of them, and strongly believes that his ideas are good ones. Unfortunately, no one else agrees and that just pisses him off.

kwlafayette, there are some other forums out there for people who hate SGU like you. Maybe you'd be happier there? They're just a google search away...
      The idea of the star gate is just such a good one, so many interesting possibilities. Some episodes, SGU has lived up to that in my mind, but some have been just terrible. I relaly hope they explain some of the really basic things before they quit for the season, like how Destiny is still there if it does not have self repair or, why the self repair quite working.

I would like them to nail down the science basics, so that the fiction is not dragged down by stupidity.

Heck, maybe every million years, it just stops in one place for an extended period, and concentrates all energy on fixing itself? If you had nearly impenetrable shields, and highly robust systems, why waste energy repairing stuff all the time?

I suggest, if you cannot bear any criticism of SGU, you do not have to engage in conversation with me, I find fan boys annoying. The show has flaws. Either the writers fix some of the more glaring ones, or they lose viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
        I suggest, if you cannot bear any criticism of SGU, you do not have to engage in conversation with me, I find fan boys annoying. The show has flaws. Either the writers fix some of the more glaring ones, or they lose viewers.
        The science of the show makes sense, within the continuity of the stargate universe, and thats all it has to. It doesn't have to be really possible, sure that would be great... see thats the thing about science fiction, by its very nature, the science doesnt have to make sense in the real world, just in that of the fictional world.

Once again i suggest that if you have so many problems with SGU, take them elsewhere, no one on this forum wants to hear about them.

Comment

The idea of the star gate is just such a good one, so many interesting possibilities. Some episodes, SGU has lived up to that in my mind…
          Wait, did you just imply you liked something about SGU? That’s gotta be a first.

I suggest, if you cannot bear any criticism of SGU, you do not have to engage in conversation with me, I find fan boys annoying.
          I could say the same about you and any criticism of your theories. However, you misunderstood the meaning of my comment. I don’t mind criticism of SGU so much, as long as the criticism is reasonable and not done in the form of an attack. Your posts always give the impression you have a chip on your shoulder about SGU in general, and that you’re looking for any way to attack the show. You seem so angry and unhappy about everything SGU, that I wanted to let you know there are places where other people feel like that too. This place isn’t one of them though.

The show has flaws. Either the writers fix some of the more glaring ones, or they lose viewers.
          See? Again with the unfounded attacks. Viewers are not going to be lost because of the so-called flaws you’ve posted about. The things you consider “glaring” are minor inconsistencies to almost everyone else, and they will probably be explained away down the road.

Anyway, I’ve said this before, but as is becoming typical for you, you ignore anything except that which you want to hear…I enjoy your discussion topics, I just wish they were more “discussion” and less “ultimatum”.

Comment

Actually the science really doesn't. For some reason, with each new season and each new spinoff, they felt the need to ratchet it up a notch. Somewhere along the line, the incredible new device stopped being believable. You know that SG1 and Atlantis have been canceled right? Might there be a reason for that, other than the obvious they felt they were making too much money?

SGU, it seems like they have made a decision to dial back the miraculous appearances of incredible devices, a good move in my opinion. They are going back to the premise of human ingenuity combined with a little luck saving the day, also good (you will notice no staff weapons, no zats, no naquada generators came through the gate with them, just basic stuff of earthly origin). It seems logical that they intend to take the science in a more realistic direction also. I am just wondering when they are going to start explaining that.

Comment

Actually the science really doesn't. For some reason, with each new season and each new spinoff, they felt the need to ratchet it up a notch. Somewhere along the line, the incredible new device stopped being believable. You know that SG1 and Atlantis have been canceled right? Might there be a reason for that, other than the obvious they felt they were making too much money?

SGU, it seems like they have made a decision to dial back the miraculous appearances of incredible devices, a good move in my opinion. They are going back to the premise of human ingenuity combined with a little luck saving the day, also good (you will notice no staff weapons, no zats, no naquada generators came through the gate with them, just basic stuff of earthly origin). It seems logical that they intend to take the science in a more realistic direction also. I am just wondering when they are going to start explaining that.
              Yes SGU is going in a more realistic direction, but that doesn't mean that its going to literaly be real.. that'd be a documentary.. its just going to be more realistic for a sci-fi show. Do you understand how a sci-fi show and a documentary are different things?

In a sci-fi show once the science makes sense in the show then thats fine, in cases where there isn't an explanation we come onto the science and technology forum here to discuss what that could mean. You seem to think that just because SGU is taking a more realistic direction that they are only going to use real life proven science... see that wouldn't make for a very good science fiction show. Infact it wouldn't be a sci-fi show at all...

Im waiting for some explanations on the science side of things too, but SGU is more of a character driven drama now, so if your waiting for explanations of everything and how they work, it might be a while

Comment

I'll say it right away I haven't read the entire topic it's a little much to sift through.

But all things considered I'd say Destiny must have some way to repair itself. It just makes sense, however it doesn't have to be an automated system. It could just as well be those robots that were in storage.

Let's look at the mission of Destiny. We don't know the exact details but we can gather it was meant to explore the universe. To be a stepping stone for the Ancients to those far off reaches. So they wouldn't have to send a crew out to get the ship out that far. A ship on autopilot to one day gate to. And because this ship is on its own aside from the seeder ships it has to be rather selfsufficient hence, the recharging through stars.

The ship itself is also set up to ensure resources are not consumed at fast paces because it wouldn't be easy to get supplies. It has a hydrophonics bay to grow more food, water recycling system, efficient air filtering system. So by that logic you could say it would need some way of repairing itself.

As for an automated system. Those repair drones are rather interesting. We've seen one of them in action, but it had to be programmed for it to perform those tasks. So it stands to reason they don't do it just automaticly. And the Ancients certainly would have been able to use them to perform various tasks.

Now here is a little speculation. We don't know how many of these repair bots there are, or even were. It is entirely possible that there were more of these bots running maintenance on the ship on their own. Like how the Kino's go on autosearch when nobody is controlling them. And that over the vast amount of time these were lost for various reasons. So the only ones left are the spare ones in the Cargo bay.

But technically speaking it isn't entirely necessairy. The Ancients could just as well gate in supplies as they need them. They most likely intended to board the Destiny when it still had the capability to dial back so they wouldn't be stuck themselves. And let's not forget the Ancients were rather overconfident. They may not have included an auto-repair because they believed their tech to be able to handle the journey. And considering the shape Destiny is in now, albeit hardly fantastic or even ok, it still functions after god knows how many millions of years beyond it's supposed expiration date. So they may not have been wrong in thinking that.

The point is at this moment it's all theory and speculation. I imagine once we begin to find out more about the ship maybe even unlock the master code that we'll be to figure out what it can or can't do.

Comment

Maybe the robot that was in storage was a spare/replacement so maybe they don't come pre-programmed.

So it stands to reason that maybe there where more of them about the ship at one time, and there was a hull breach (or some other accident) and they either go blown out into space or isolated in sections of the ship we haven’t seen yet.

This is just speculation though.

MDJ

Comment

Originally posted by Tykari View Post
                    I'll say it right away I haven't read the entire topic it's a little much to sift through.

But all things considered I'd say Destiny must have some way to repair itself. It just makes sense, however it doesn't have to be an automated system. It could just as well be those robots that were in storage.

Let's look at the mission of Destiny. We don't know the exact details but we can gather it was meant to explore the universe. To be a stepping stone for the Ancients to those far off reaches. So they wouldn't have to send a crew out to get the ship out that far. A ship on autopilot to one day gate to. And because this ship is on its own aside from the seeder ships it has to be rather selfsufficient hence, the recharging through stars.

The ship itself is also set up to ensure resources are not consumed at fast paces because it wouldn't be easy to get supplies. It has a hydrophonics bay to grow more food, water recycling system, efficient air filtering system. So by that logic you could say it would need some way of repairing itself.

As for an automated system. Those repair drones are rather interesting. We've seen one of them in action, but it had to be programmed for it to perform those tasks. So it stands to reason they don't do it just automaticly. And the Ancients certainly would have been able to use them to perform various tasks.

Now here is a little speculation. We don't know how many of these repair bots there are, or even were. It is entirely possible that there were more of these bots running maintenance on the ship on their own. Like how the Kino's go on autosearch when nobody is controlling them. And that over the vast amount of time these were lost for various reasons. So the only ones left are the spare ones in the Cargo bay.

But technically speaking it isn't entirely necessairy. The Ancients could just as well gate in supplies as they need them. They most likely intended to board the Destiny when it still had the capability to dial back so they wouldn't be stuck themselves. And let's not forget the Ancients were rather overconfident. They may not have included an auto-repair because they believed their tech to be able to handle the journey. And considering the shape Destiny is in now, albeit hardly fantastic or even ok, it still functions after god knows how many millions of years beyond it's supposed expiration date. So they may not have been wrong in thinking that.

The point is at this moment it's all theory and speculation. I imagine once we begin to find out more about the ship maybe even unlock the master code that we'll be to figure out what it can or can't do.
                    We can also assume it was meant to be unmanned for some large period of time. Sometime, at the very least, longer than stasis would allow. Otherwise, they probably would have just sent a crew along in the first place. So, logical to assume a great distance away from the origin as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MDJ View Post
                      Maybe the robot that was in storage was a spare/replacement so maybe they don't come pre-programmed.

So it stands to reason that maybe there where more of them about the ship at one time, and there was a hull breach (or some other accident) and they either go blown out into space or isolated in sections of the ship we haven’t seen yet.

This is just speculation though.

MDJ
                      Very plausible. Could be, they slowly stopped working over time, and got scavenged for parts by the robots that continued to operate. This would imply a few things.

That the rate of repair would slow down over time.
                      That they would concentrate themselves in critical areas of the ship as their numbers dwindled.

There could still be some repair bots in operation, somewhere on the ship. Interesting speculation.

PS. Very good theory, it fits with all the observed data.

Comment

PS. Very good theory, it fits with all the observed data.
                        Except we don't have any observed data to back up the existence of robots having been going around repairing hte ship and slowly dismantling themselves as time goes by.

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
                          Except we don't have any observed data to back up the existence of robots having been going around repairing hte ship and slowly dismantling themselves as time goes by.
                          Isn't the observed data as kwlafayette puts it.... no evidence of a self repair system and a single robot in storage that can be programmed to perform tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                            Isn't the observed data as kwlafayette puts it.... no evidence of a self repair system and a single robot in storage that can be programmed to perform tasks?
                            yes, that would be what's been shown
                            we haven't seen any sort of self-repair
                            we have seen one robot, in storage, that has to be programmed to perform, which really puts it out of the running for self-repair
                            would it be great if there were self-repair? Sure, but it can't be said to have been shown, not once in any of the Stargate shows.
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                              Was it just the one though? It was located in one crate of many similar looking ones in a cargobay. But at any rate what I posted was just a theory, we really are going to have to wait and find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tykari View Post
                                Was it just the one though? It was located in one crate of many similar looking ones in a cargobay. But at any rate what I posted was just a theory, we really are going to have to wait and find out.
                                who knows, there could very well be more, but so far, all that's been seen is the one
                                wait and see is about all we've got, at the mo.
                                sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Working...
                                X