Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Destiny must have self repair.

Quote Originally Posted by kwlafayette View Post
    PS. Very good theory, it fits with all the observed data.
    Except we don't have any observed data to back up the existence of robots having been going around repairing hte ship and slowly dismantling themselves as time goes by.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazeh View Post
    Except we don't have any observed data to back up the existence of robots having been going around repairing hte ship and slowly dismantling themselves as time goes by.
    Isn't the observed data as kwlafayette puts it.... no evidence of a self repair system and a single robot in storage that can be programmed to perform tasks?
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Isn't the observed data as kwlafayette puts it.... no evidence of a self repair system and a single robot in storage that can be programmed to perform tasks?
    yes, that would be what's been shown
    we haven't seen any sort of self-repair
    we have seen one robot, in storage, that has to be programmed to perform, which really puts it out of the running for self-repair
    would it be great if there were self-repair? Sure, but it can't be said to have been shown, not once in any of the Stargate shows.

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Airman

Quote Originally Posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
    Was it just the one though? It was located in one crate of many similar looking ones in a cargobay. But at any rate what I posted was just a theory, we really are going to have to wait and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tykari View Post
    Was it just the one though? It was located in one crate of many similar looking ones in a cargobay. But at any rate what I posted was just a theory, we really are going to have to wait and find out.
    who knows, there could very well be more, but so far, all that's been seen is the one
    wait and see is about all we've got, at the mo.

Second Lieutenant

Speaking of things they must have, but haven't shown or talked about, where is the ship's laundry?

the closest I've seen is someone's quarters with socks and stuff hanging on a line

Having waded through this quagmire, I see that there are points both for and against Destiny being designed with the ability to repair itself. Personally, I believe that there is a repair system...and that we've seen a small part of it.

My personal speculation - and let me be clear that that's all it is - would be that there were a veritable army of repair robots originally, as others have suggested. Perhaps many of them were still operational when Destiny first arrived in the galaxy she was traversing when our story began in Air. But then the Blue Aliens set their sights on the ship. They obviously managed to do some pretty significant damage to her at some point. When that first happened, the robots swarmed out of the ship to do their repairs. Most of them were still out there the next time the BA caught up with her, and their fighters were able to clear them off the hull. They wanted to damage the ship enough to take it, and having the robots fix her up every time they managed to breach the shields simply would not do. Perhaps Destiny, damaged as she was and without her army of repair bots, would have simply remained in FTL and gotten the frak out of Dodge before activating any more. But then she had to stop for an incoming wormhole, and then the new passengers needed to make a few stops to avoid dying...Destiny hasn't had the chance to do anything about the situation, or is expecting her passengers to deal with it now that they're aboard.

In other words, IMHO, there was a system, and now it - like so many other things - is broken. Perhaps when they finally have control of the ship, they can fix that, or fix things themselves. Either way, their arrival has changed Destiny's priorities.

Second Lieutenant

Yeah, self repair does make a lot of sense for a ship that is millions of years old and still in operation.

One thing I really wonder about, is the apparent Ancient philosophy of avoiding the use of robots and such. You assume it would be easy for them to build one, but that little robot in the crate was the very first Ancient robot we ever saw. Unless, that one girl bot who built replicators was the thing that turned them off of the whole idea?

Maybe Destiny wasn't launched. Maybe it ran away.

Yeah, self repair does make a lot of sense for a ship that is millions of years old and still in operation.
    Correction... just about operational. The ship is heavily damaged, falling apart even
    I dunno what to put in here now..

Probie

I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet..but don't you find it odd there are '3' docking platforms for shuttles on the Destiny? and yet there was only 3 shuttles there? odd?

Probie

In short, all damage that we have seen is superficial, and does not in any way affect the long term viability of Destiny.
    I'm afraid you're mistaken. Hull breaches have had some effect on the ships power grid and what is known is that the ship is only running at 44% of its maximum power capacity. Even then, they had to repair the ships dome. I think, in terms of self repair, the robots on board would've fulfilled that role had they been activated.

Probie

I have been pondering on the materials required to make something that is functional a million years later. Oxidation, reactive-ness, acidity, uv, heat - there are a lot of forces at work. Heck my 20 year old Mercedes has ABS crumbling, and metal rusted or oxidized. The material science of the Ancients and other races must have been very advanced. Testing to ensure all this would have indeed been interesting (e.g. 5m years, -100 to 300C, vacuum to 30 ATM, radiation, uv, chemical, liquid, etc). But then our current phones would have been just as magical to our ancestors.