Destiny must have self repair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny must have self repair.

Destiny must have self repair, otherwise, it simply would no longer be functional. Obviously, given the holes in the outer hull, the self repair currently is not working. Obviously, given the holes in the hull, the ship is not impervious to damage. Obviously, in the million(s) of years Destiny has been autonomously operating, not all damage would have been superficial without affecting critical systems. You must assume that on an unmanned mission, self repair is a high priority system. Given that the engines and shields are still functional, you must assume that the self repair has not been out of operation for very long (only a few hundred years at most).

So the question is, why isn't Destiny's self repair system working? It seems there are only a few choices:

The self repair broke down.
    Someone or thing disabled/destroyed the self repair.
    The self repair ran out of some critical resource, but is still operational.

On an unmanned mission, it is my opinion that self repair is the highest priority system; so the repair system would repair itself first regardless of any other damage to the ship. I say this because, without repair ability, the rest of the systems would soon become inoperable. Further I would say that the system would be both well protected, and redundant, so some random event is very unlikely to destroy it, but leave the rest of the ship intact.

Repair implies manufacturing, so if it ran out of something, it would have to be some externally harvested resource, and not anything like repair bots.

Why isn't Destiny repairing itself?

The two most likely theories in my mind:

1. Someone boarded Destiny and turned it off.

2. During a trip across a void, Destiny ran out of power for FTL and raw materials for repairs (ore, minerals, stuff like that). It shut down all the systems it could, cannibalized what it could, and continued to repair what it could, but drifting for thousands or millions of years with no asteroids or gas clouds or planets to harvest materials from, there was eventually a critical failure that it could not fix. This would have to be a recent thing, a few hundred years or perhaps a thousand at most.

Perhaps most of Destiny's time has been spent in powerless drift across some great void?

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
    2. During a trip across a void, Destiny ran out of power for FTL and raw materials for repairs (ore, minerals, stuff like that). It shut down all the systems it could, cannibalized what it could, and continued to repair what it could, but drifting for thousands or millions of years with no asteroids or gas clouds or planets to harvest materials from, there was eventually a critical failure that it could not fix. This would have to be a recent thing, a few hundred years or perhaps a thousand at most.

Perhaps most of Destiny's time has been spent in powerless drift across some great void?
    I agree with everything, exept this. If there was even the slightest chance that it was going to run out of gas in between galaxies, it would have stopped at the nearst star to refuel.
    sigpic

Spoiler:
    Originally posted by IMDB
    Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
    Hehe

Comment

you have to remember it WASNT meant to be unmanned for this long, the ancients just never got around to getting to it. and those robots are there to make repairs

Comment

Perhaps, after Destiny sustained so much damage, the self repair only repairs mission critical areas. Like keeping the gate room and the control interface room pressurized. I think it's likely that after so many repairs, Destiny would have had to only make essential repairs, just enough to keep it operational for whatever its mission is.
        My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
          you have to remember it WASNT meant to be unmanned for this long,
          People keep saying that, like it is some kind of axiom of the physical universe.

What episode is it, where the Ancients appear and tell people this?
          Last edited by kwlafayette; 26 May 2010, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
            I agree with everything, exept this. If there was even the slightest chance that it was going to run out of gas in between galaxies, it would have stopped at the nearst star to refuel.
            Eventually, if you go in a straight line for long enough, even fully fueled will not be enough to make the next galaxy. The universe is not a collection of evenly distributed galaxies.

PS. Also, Destiny would never run out of gas. If it did not have enough to sustain FTL the entire way, you have to assume that Destiny would always reserve enough fuel to power on the shields for refueling once momentum carried it the rest of the way.
            Last edited by kwlafayette; 26 May 2010, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AquaGamer53 View Post
              Perhaps, after Destiny sustained so much damage, the self repair only repairs mission critical areas. Like keeping the gate room and the control interface room pressurized. I think it's likely that after so many repairs, Destiny would have had to only make essential repairs, just enough to keep it operational for whatever its mission is.
              So you subscribe to some sort of limited resource theory then. That there is something that limits the number of repairs Destiny can make. Plausible, some systems/areas of the ship may be at very low priority.

Comment

Well there is a limit to how many times you can repair something no exceptions it gets a bit worse every time

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Eventually, if you go in a straight line for long enough, even fully fueled will not be enough to make the next galaxy. The universe is not a collection of evenly distributed galaxies.

PS. Also, Destiny would never run out of gas. If it did not have enough to sustain FTL the entire way, you have to assume that Destiny would always reserve enough fuel to power on the shields for refueling once momentum carried it the rest of the way.
                  That would only be true if Destiny weren't following Seeder ships and didn't know where it was going, thus it can go in any direction to get where it needs in a direction that is within it's range! Why would you assume it is going in a straight line?
                  sigpic

Comment

They said at the beginning of the series that Destiny was traveling in a relatively straight line. That is where I am getting it from.

The ability to repair implies the ability to manufacture. For example, the way you repair a bearing is that you replace the part. Regardless of how long the Ancients may or may not have intended Destiny to be out there unmanned, we can assume that it is some large period of time. During a large period of time, many parts, that you could not predict before hand, would need replacement, and many systems would need repair. So, instead of trying to stock some large number of likely parts, you have the ability to make the parts as you need them.

PS. And even, manufacture whole replacement systems.
                    Last edited by kwlafayette; 26 May 2010, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I really don't get the logic in the OP claming that Destiny must have auto repair systems, we've never seen anything to really indicate that, aside from the robot which as we saw in sabotage needed to be programmed to repair things, and was in storage.

The ship wasn't intended to be unmanned for this length of time, remember that, not to mention the ship has an incredible powerful shield, which even now with only a fraction of the available power reserves is capable of flying into a sun, and defending its self to alien attacks... Destiny tends to spend the majority of its time in FTL, possible all of its time (bar refuelling) before the crew boarded..

For all we know 90% of the damage that destiny has is from one encouter with a particularly advanced alien race 10 years ago and the rest is just wear and tear, and the blues shooting at it.
                      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

People keep saying that, like it is some kind of axiom of the physical universe.

What episode is it, where the Ancients appear and tell people this?
                        people keep saying it because it's so

Air 2:
                        RUSH: Destiny.

(Nearby, Brody and Park look at him in confusion.)

WALLACE: As in ours?

RUSH: The name of the ship, translated from Ancient.

(Eli stands and walks over to the console.)

RUSH: I've also discovered that they were never here.

WALLACE: I thought this was an Ancient ship.

RUSH: It *is*, but they sent it out unmanned, planning to use the Gate to get here when it was far enough out into the universe. But they probably learned to ascend before that time.

WALLACE: Learned to *what*?
                        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I understand, so Rush is the Ancient you quote, when you say the Ancients never intended Destiny to be unmanned for so long. Glad I have that straight, and you weren't just using the speculation of some human.

Simply the fact that the ship is still operational, after the vast amount of time it has been out in space, should tell you that it has self repair systems. They have found other unmanned ancient vessels, and none of them have been operational, even after fractions of the time Destiny has been out there.

PS. The ONLY way you could say that the Ancients never intended Destiny to be unmanned for so long, is if Rush had said something like "the database says the Ancients intended to gate here after 50,000 years, when Destiny had reached <location>". There are only two pieces of information in the dialogue you quote; the name of the ship, and that the Ancients were never there. All else is speculation on Rush's part.
                          Last edited by kwlafayette; 26 May 2010, 04:09 PM.

Comment

I understand, so Rush is the Ancient you quote, when you say the Ancients never intended Destiny to be unmanned for so long. Glad I have that straight, and you weren't just using the speculation of some human.

Simply the fact that the ship is still operational, after the vast amount of time it has been out in space, should tell you that it has self repair systems. They have found other unmanned ancient vessels, and none of them have been operational, even after fractions of the time Destiny has been out there.
                            I think that you make an awful lot of assumptions and don't spend nearly enough time paying attention to what's going on. The ancients have left all that information around, in the form of the database that Rush is going through. The proper response when you've been proven mistaken is "oh gee, I didn't see that, thanks" and not a bunch of snark.
                            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by Puddle-Jumper View Post
                              I really don't get the logic in the OP claming that Destiny must have auto repair systems, we've never seen anything to really indicate that, aside from the robot which as we saw in sabotage needed to be programmed to repair things, and was in storage.

The ship wasn't intended to be unmanned for this length of time, remember that, not to mention the ship has an incredible powerful shield, which even now with only a fraction of the available power reserves is capable of flying into a sun, and defending its self to alien attacks... Destiny tends to spend the majority of its time in FTL, possible all of its time (bar refuelling) before the crew boarded..

For all we know 90% of the damage that destiny has is from one encouter with a particularly advanced alien race 10 years ago and the rest is just wear and tear, and the blues shooting at it.
                              Atlantis had even more powerful shielding, it was truly impenetrable. Yet after only 10,000 years vast sections of the city were flooded and there was lots of damage.

Comment

Working...
                              X