Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

science or spiritual? (spoilers for series finale)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

science or spiritual? (spoilers for series finale)

so we've the series finale, and it went on the spiritual side...

i'd have preferred the island's mysteries being handled through science (fact or fiction), instead of it being allegorical to religious tones.

what about you guys?
    sally

sigpic

agreed. I enjoyed the finale and the spiritual stuff but would've preferred more scientific answers to some of the islands mysteries
    sigpic
    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

I agree. I was left just simply wanting answers to some of the things we were wondering about, and actual scientific answers to some of those questions would have been nice given the scientific nature in which the questions were posed.

I actually didn't mind the spiritual nature of the ending though, as (evidenced by the church they were in) it was very all-inclusive, and didn't seem to be advocating any particular religion. In my opinion, it was an interesting take on the afterlife.
      Sig by Pandora's Box
      sigpic

Comment

from all the feedback i've been reading on the finale, i'd have preferred the afterlife scenario being left out, and that side-universe being the 'what life we would have had if the island had never existed' scenario instead.

AND, maybe if the spiritual side of it all had been left out (or reduced greatly), the writers wouldn't have decided to use that as a way out and actually answered the island's questions instead.

i think i'm more of a science fiction gal , though i love shows/movies that deal with the spiritual side (ghost whisperer, medium, touched by an angel, etc).
        sally

sigpic

Comment

I would have preffered the science fiction route as I really wanted answers to the big questions [ such as the exact purpose of the island, how the idea of protecting it came about, what the light was, the smoke monster,Walt, e.t.c]Although I enjoyed seeing the afterlife and was pleased that the characters ultimately got what they greatly desired, I feel that service needed to be given to the mysteries surrounding the island which were continuous and in many respects central aspects to the storylines throughout the series.I would, have, however been okay with sprirtuality being used to a certain degree to explain a few of the mysteries surrounding the island.
          Last edited by smart; 25 May 2010, 04:44 PM.
          Abbas Karimjee
          www.abbaskarimjee.wordpress.com
          The latest Stargate Atlantis, SG1 , Universe , movies and the future of Stargate news.

Comment

I think much like BSG, they took a sci-fi series and in order to tie up all the loose ends they turned it into fantasy, quick fixes are much easier to come by that way, and much to the detriment of the show in my opinion.

Comment

I think the intention from the first was to explore concepts, science vs faith, purpose, being lost, being redeemed and trying to find your way home. They took a topic that has not been explored, the idea of the transition to the afterlife and explored it on an emotional level. We did not see heaven. We saw the concrete manifestation of an idea and a set of values: finding redemption is a group effort, we must help each other and when it is all over, it is the lives we have touched that really matter. These are fairly specific things. They just aren't science fiction things.

I loved it. We didn't need another "spirituality is just science unexplained" story. Spiritual truths are worth exploring.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
                I think much like BSG, they took a sci-fi series and in order to tie up all the loose ends they turned it into fantasy, quick fixes are much easier to come by that way, and much to the detriment of the show in my opinion.
                Much like you I think the same, the writers just painted themselves in a box without a pretty way out, so they used the only way out of it they can think of and that was the spiritual stuff. I have not been as much disappointed by a finale of a show like this, since BSG ended and the whole angels/head people and destiny stuff.
                It made no sense for this show to have a conclusion that took on a spiritual approach, it would have been something like if Supernaturals final battle between Lucifer and Michael in the end involved spaceships and Zats it just makes no sense, but it is an easy way out.

sigpic

Comment

I've given this subject a bit of thought. In retrospect, I really can't see them wrapping up the series in a scientific way. All the way through the six seasons, they dealt with hope, love and friendship, community, emotional baggage, forgiveness, redemption, etc. It was the striving and the relationships that were continually addressed throughout the show. Sure, they brought in lots of weird, science-y concepts (and answered a great many), but it seemed they used those to tell the story of, well...life.

In life today, we don't know everything about our world. We are constantly learning new scientific things, and those things oftentimes bring up new questions and new discoveries we know very little about. Life on the island seems like a microcosm of life in the rest of the world. Looked at it that way, how else could they have ended it?

I am so blessed! Cherriey made this cool sig; scarimor made this great Dr. Lee smilie and Spudster made another neat one Dr. Lee RULES!

Myn's fabulous twilight bark smilie:

Comment

If they had answered all the Island's mysteries with some technobabble, I think it would ultimately have been unsatisfying. Lost is nothing without that mystery. Rewatching it you can wonder who made the giant Anubis statue, what the 'light' of the Island really was and it's philosophical implications.. etc.
                    sigpic
                    http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
                    http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal View Post
                      so we've the series finale, and it went on the spiritual side...

i'd have preferred the island's mysteries being handled through science (fact or fiction), instead of it being allegorical to religious tones.

what about you guys?
                      I think there can be both. We may have got some spiritual moments, but the island can still be "scientific"

Comment

To be honest, the end ruined Lost for me forever. I seriously cant watch it anymore and when I see a comercial about the Finale I am leaving the room before I start to rant.

Seriously, how can you still fever for their struggle of survival once you know they are all dead anyhow?
                        Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                        Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                        There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post
                          To be honest, the end ruined Lost for me forever. I seriously cant watch it anymore and when I see a comercial about the Finale I am leaving the room before I start to rant.

Seriously, how can you still fever for their struggle of survival once you know they are all dead anyhow?
                          it's kind of ruined it for me too. i just have no interest in anything about it anymore, b/c of the totally bummer ending for me.
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tomstone View Post

so, you missed the point too, then.
                            I'll say it again.
                            They WERE NOT ALL DEAD THE WHOLE TIME. Everything that happened on the island - HAPPENED. they didn't all get together in dead-church world until they had each died on their own time.
                            It wasn't really that hard to understand.
                            Jack succeeded in getting them off the island. Hurley & Ben took over controlling the island for who knows how long. Everyone else went and lived their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Morbo View Post
                              so, you missed the point too, then.
                              I'll say it again.
                              They WERE NOT ALL DEAD THE WHOLE TIME. Everything that happened on the island - HAPPENED. they didn't all get together in dead-church world until they had each died on their own time.
                              It wasn't really that hard to understand.
                              Jack succeeded in getting them off the island. Hurley & Ben took over controlling the island for who knows how long. Everyone else went and lived their lives.
                              Okay, I mostly deleted it all from my mind, but from the looks they were DEAD. They were gathering DEAD people to meet in a church to go into the afterlife. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME?

You can rationalize it all you want, but in the end they took the easy way out of all the contradictions they produced over the series. I am dissapointed, and now NBC did the same with Persons Unknown. That was a Awesome series, but they have to destroy it by not ending a Mini Series as it should be, but airing the original ending for a hope of a secound Season. It sucks.
                              Fuzzy Wuzzy wasnt old,
                              Fuzzy Wuzzy gotten bald
                              There was Fuzzy no more Wuzzy

Comment

Working...
                              X