Old Faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
    Our experience in Full Alert, when the Russians believed the SGC was compromised, tell us that no matter who wants to kill us, we will always be suspicious of each other, and only too willing to push the button. We'll come together out of necessity, but it wouldn't change international relations too dramatically.
    Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I think realistically the threat of alien invasion would probably bring us all together and forget all the old baggage. Because if that doesn't do it, nothing would.

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff View Post
      I think realistically the threat of alien invasion would probably bring us all together and forget all the old baggage.
      I agree. History has shown that massive disaster always connects people. They share the same experiences, same pain and same loss and it makes them to understand each other better than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by blackluster View Post
        Yeah, seeing Daniel and Jack again was pretty cool, though the Young/O'Neill interactions left me with a bit of a sour taste in my mouth. Perhaps it it just me, but Young does seem to be overly terse with Jack. I thought Young would have a bit more respect than walking out of an office without being dismissed or in leading the convo with Telford. I know people wouldn't want to see Jack suddenly out of character, but I think they could certainly update some of his dialogue a bit to line up with the tone of the show a little more. His "I know what makes me special" line kind of jerked me out of the gravity of the monologue Telford was delivering.
        There I was, totally enjoying seeing Jack and Daniel again, wandering down memory lane in the cargo ship in the wormhole, to the pyramid with that wonderful familiar Stargate in it. Seeing Jack on Destiny was a joy, “corporal?” as he checks what uniform he has on. LOL! Then this scene, I was cringing as Jack was almost back to the misplaced levity clowning around Jack of the tail end of SG-1. It was really out of place given what was going on, I can't help but agree with you.

I think Jack gives more latitude to the officers that serve under his command, since he is after all; “not like other people” as Walter said in 'Zero Hour.' So I can sort of understand the way Young behaves in his presence, Jack had that almost insubordinate attitude to his superiors, but tempered with ultimate respect and devotion to his duty, and I’m sure he allows that in his subordinates, so I could let this go, but not that “makes me special” moment!

Comment

Originally posted by Eestlanna View Post
          I agree. History has shown that massive disaster always connects people. They share the same experiences, same pain and same loss and it makes them to understand each other better than anything else.
          I agree with this,

Maybe I'm too much of an optimist, but I think realistically the threat of alien invasion would probably bring us all together and forget all the old baggage. Because if that doesn't do it, nothing would.
          but not this. Only once Earth is already invaded and brought to its knees will we band together. The pre-invasion time will only cause bickering amongst nations as to what to do, especially if the SG program were revealed right before.

It is the full realization of the destruction that brings people together. See: 9/11, WWII (Pearl Harbor), etc.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

Or people would bond together in a way never thought possible once they find out that there are aliens out there and many of them want to kill us. It will really make people forget their petty differences and come together against common enemies.
            Well, we know from SG1 that in the AU of earth where the SG program was put out publiclly, they had to install martial law in a lot of places to stop the rioting... So i doubt it would be that hunky dory.

Comment

Maybe that's so, but Stargate history has shown us otherwise. I already mentioned the Full Alert and The Road Not Taken examples, but what about when international leaders were first made aware of the stargate (can't remember the name of that episode off the top of my head)? The British and French played along like usual, the Russians already had a gate so they played along, but the Chinese were threatening to reveal the gate to the entire world right until Thor intervened, despite all the "Goa'uld are gonna kick our butts if we don't work together" flashbacks. Even with Atlantis, it was still a power grab to see who can control the city, despite the fact that everyone in the IOA and the countries they represent knew the Wraith could (and did) come to Earth.

Comment

Except you can't use the AU as a barometer of what will happen in reality since the AU viewpoint holds infinite possible realities. So technically, in one they announced the Stargate and SG command was quickly overrun by dolphins.

To the actual point here, what people will do in general is probably a bit more complicated than what this show would have time to demonstrate. And if SGU was set on Earth, it would make a good storyline. However, it's not.

You'd have people rioting, you'd have people bonding. Much like life, the way events actually play out and their timing would determine the outcome. The jerks who see demons around every corner will be there and the flower people who think everything's OK would be too. They really don't change. It's everyone in the middle who is actually affected by real life.

Comment

Ok, but only one of the examples I cited are from an AU. Besides that, this show has demonstrated at least three other times how people on "our" Earth would react to the stargate program. My point is that experience has shown that people are more likely to become even more suspicious of each other when they find out such a secret and such technology has been withheld from them.

Maybe what actual people will do is more complicated than what the show can explore, but we can only use what people actually have done on the show to predict how they react, and not what you or anyone else here thinks or hopes could happen.

Comment

I like the idea someone here told that Eli could be Rodney's son.
                    that implies Rodney got laid about the age of 18-20, and given the arrogant nerd he was I doubt he would have hooked up with an 'American nursing student'(which is what Eli's mom would have been give or take) back then...
                    hell, I could more picture Rodney going to Katie their 1st time and saying "he had never"

Comment

I really liked that RDA got to do some humorous stuff in this ep. For the first time in SGU, he really felt like the real Jack O'Neill.
                      That's exactly what my husband said last night when we were watching this episode for the first time. He said, "Now that's the Jack I remember!" Loved the moment on Destiny when O'Neill leaves the room and starts heading the wrong way, then suddenly turns around to follow Young. Honestly, my husband and I had to pause the DVD because we were laughing so hard. We loved seeing a bit of Jack's humor again.

Originally posted by Astrofighter View Post
                      That's a sad slide...anubis to guy with mini-pain stick....
                      Hilarious!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X