Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TV Armchair Edits for Air 1

If you have the ability to edit DVD's, here is what I would recommend for Air 1 :

Start with the extended version which keeps the hallway scene with Scott's remarks about Dinasaurs to Eli etc.

First Edit

Trim the sex scene down to strong innuendo. I explain my reasons for doing this in another thread:
    http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/6...ene-quot/page4
    Plus there's a whole lot of other posts there discussing the pro's and con's .
    Anyway, edit as follows:

Go to the scene where the Hammond pops out of hyperspace and swings by and around into orbit around the planet. There is an existing cut point there.

Go through the sex scene until there is a spot where the camera is out of focus which is right before Scott is tucking in his clothes and starting to go. We miss the the grunting, pillow talk and radio chatter but we have a nice spot here to make a virtually seamless cut back in. We still know what we need to know, but not more than many of us would care to know. Basically ironing out a little kink here.

Second Edit

Chloe runs off all upset about her father. There is a scene following where Col. Young asks Carmine to help. She says something like "I can do that" , the camera goes wide. There is a cut point here. Watch for it.

Now skip the long drawn out scene with Chloe crying and Scott going essentially, yup, yup, yup. There is nothing useful you can say to somebody grieving like that. Niether does Scott, really. Obviously Scott is interested in Chloe. That's the main reason he's following her around here. No surprise. But it seems too soon. And all that crying and sobbing gets to be tedious, especially since it's hard to feel too sorry for her since our man Scott is right there on the job to lend any support as might be needed.

We already know that the Senator maybe wasn't such a total jerk after all, based on his heroic action. But we're done with him and won't be seeing him again. Obviously he wasn't a bad father else she wouldn't be so sad. So all the pretty predictable what-kind-of-nice-things-can-you-say about the man coming out between sobs is redundant from a plot standpoint. It really drags.

So. Wait until the darkness scene where Chloe's tearstreaked face slowly is revealed out of shadow. Cut back in at the darkness right before. Should be virtually seamless. Then we see her face come out followed by a short scene of her all small and alone in the room facing out the window, forlornly staring off into space as it streams by.

It seems natural that somebody would want to be alone after an emotional outburst like she just had. Also I feel more respect and sympathy for Chloe now that the newly remade scene basically shows our character quietly but bravely bearing her sadness all by herself. Now we start thinking, Poor little thing. She's all alone now. Wouldn't it be nice if she could find somebody...

Also with the new timing it makes a kind-of nice ironic moment - sad Chloe counterpoint immediately following Young's - "try to keep everyone upbeat".

Now if I had a few extra thousand laying around for a good compositor I would try to paint a white lab coat on Dr. Simms and it would be perfect, but.. no, it's still good.
    ref: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...mms-Look-Alike

It's a good episode now. I really like it.

That's it. Cut. Print.

I am so moving on to Air 2 now. Really.
    Last edited by apostrophe; May 21st, 2010 at 02:28 AM. Reason: added link
    "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

Lieutenant Colonel

Default Re: Armchair Edits for Air 1

no one cares

Quote Originally Posted by escyos View Post
    no one cares
    we'll see
    "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

Lieutenant Colonel

just another person complaining about somthing about SGU

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

OP: It's a good episode now. I really like it.
    fortunately the OP only gets to do the trims for themselves

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

What is the point of this thread?
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post
    To say how he would make Air better, in his opinion. And I agree, except for the sex scene part I would keep that in there, but some of that stuff I can do without. Thats one of the first things I plan on doing when I get SGU on dvd is to cut out the parts I thought were boring and unnecessary and see if I can make it better

no one cares
    I second this. I watch the show for the show as it was envisioned by the writers. And if you're gonna edit out half the episode to make it more like something else, why not just go watch the something else?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

we complain because we care

Quote Originally Posted by Loheat View Post
    To say how he would make Air better, in his opinion. And I agree, except for the sex scene part I would keep that in there, but some of that stuff I can do without. Thats one of the first things I plan on doing when I get SGU on dvd is to cut out the parts I thought were boring and unnecessary and see if I can make it better
    yes, that's it.

It's a fun thing to do especially after one has watched a couple times. The armchair thing is like being an armchair general as they say, or armchair director. It's also interesting to hear how people figure they might improve something. Or what they think of one's own ideas.

It sure was a lot easier to try to do this kind of thing with vhs tapes though..

Quote Originally Posted by Spimman View Post

hobby interest.

also it provides an excuse to keep rewatching the episodes again to see how the "improvements worked out (or not).

Quote Originally Posted by s09119 View Post
    I second this. I watch the show for the show as it was envisioned by the writers. And if you're gonna edit out half the episode to make it more like something else, why not just go watch the something else?
    the point isn't to change it into something else, more to try to "help" improve the flavor by trimming some of the fat or repairing something that may have needed a little more time or debate in the editing room. Sometimes things get thrown in due to studio pressure or they need to pad scenes to make it fit a time slot. The home viewer/affectionada doesn't necessarily have to suffer under those kinds of restraints.

there usually isn't anything else (as good) i'd rather watch

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by apostrophe View Post
    the point isn't to change it into something else, more to try to "help" improve the flavor by trimming some of the fat or repairing something that may have needed a little more time or debate in the editing room. Sometimes things get thrown in due to studio pressure or they need to pad scenes to make it fit a time slot. The home viewer/affectionada doesn't necessarily have to suffer under those kinds of restraints.

there usually isn't anything else (as good) i'd rather watch
    Removing the bits you don't like isnt "helping improve the flavour", it's simply cutting out the things you don't think should be there. What's there is there because the writers wanted to tell a certain story, you removing it changes that story. Not to mention your cuts seem to be based around removing areas where they delve into character interactions and want to tell us about how these characters tick, not really the best things to be cutting out in a character focused drama series.

Lieutenant Colonel

apostrophe you know you can answer multiple posts in one post, not a separate one for eachresponse

Quote Originally Posted by Krazeh View Post
    Removing the bits you don't like isnt "helping improve the flavour", it's simply cutting out the things you don't think should be there. What's there is there because the writers wanted to tell a certain story, you removing it changes that story. Not to mention your cuts seem to be based around removing areas where they delve into character interactions and want to tell us about how these characters tick, not really the best things to be cutting out in a character focused drama series.
    Well, consider this: If they thought there was only one perfect way to tell the story, why would they release two different cuts on the DVD for the viewer to choose from ?

Second Lieutenant

Well, consider this: If they thought there was only one perfect way to tell the story, why would they release two different cuts on the DVD for the viewer to choose from ?
    Because one cut is the version they showed on TV, in which they had to make sacrifices in order to stick to standard episode time lengths, i.e. a little over 40 mins per episode. And the other cut is what they would have aired if there was no constraints on how long each episode could last.

However, that makes no difference to my point that the writers are the ones who know what story it is they want to tell and are the only people in a position to be able to cut scenes without it affecting that story. All you are doing are removing parts that you don't like with no regard to how it alters the story or what it is you might end up missing further down the line.

Because one cut is the version they showed on TV, in which they had to make sacrifices in order to stick to standard episode time lengths, i.e. a little over 40 mins per episode. And the other cut is what they would have aired if there was no constraints on how long each episode could last.

However, that makes no difference to my point that the writers are the ones who know what story it is they want to tell and are the only people in a position to be able to cut scenes without it affecting that story. All you are doing are removing parts that you don't like with no regard to how it alters the story or what it is you might end up missing further down the line.
    I think you missed the part where that was the point

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by Loheat View Post
    I think you missed the part where that was the point
    No, I get that was the point. I just think it's a ridiculous idea to edit a tv show with no idea of how important anything you're removing might be, and then to bring those ideas to a public forum and try to pass it off as a good thing that would improve the episode.

Don't kid yourself. Sacrifices are made every step of the way. They've got all kinds of constraints coming from every direction imaginable. The single biggest ultimate influence on what the writers are told to write and cut is advertising dollars. We're lucky if anything of a given writer's original artistic vision even makes it onto the screen. Assuming the writer is any good at his assigned task to begin with.

And you can't credibly tell me that you've never used the fast forward button on your remote control. BTW if a person is skipping commercials, they're the ones hurting the show. Actually if you want to help the show it's your duty to watch every commercial and then go out and buy each product that they are peddling. That's primarily where they get the money to make the show.

Me, I prefer to bypass that process and moral dilemma by paying them for what I like directly. I've done that by going to the store and buying the DVD box sets as they came out. For example, I have a complete collection of SG1 DVD box sets most of which I paid full retail for around $40 each. I like to think that gives me a little more individual impact than being a passive TV viewer who, let's face it, is basically just a number from the average TV show's revenue stream perspective. In fact I would go so far to say that he isn't even a number. He's an abstract statistical probability.

With SG1 there are very few episodes I tend to skip over and never had any desire to change anything until around season ten. Some of those episodes were a little half-cooked. So far, for me, SGU is a like a pork chop on a plate with too many potatoes around it. You need a few potatoes but I'm mostly interested in the pork chop.

Dedicated SG fans have been lucky over the years because we have been sitting smack dab in the middle of the fairly sizable dedicated sci-fi fan cult following demographic that SG was targeted to.

Somebody noticed that soap operas sold a lot of soap via commercials to idle-afternoon viewing housewives over the years, which made a ton ton of money for advertising sponsors, that like sci-fi shows they also had cult followings, and got the idea to try to combine the two demographics by somehow combining the two genres, this despite inherent structural incompatibilities. It's a tricky proposition for writers and I don't think that they have completely gotten the hang of things with SGU yet.

I know what I like and much of that probably matches other sci-fi buffs. But we're not the sole targeted demographic anymore. We're feeling some bumps in the road, hopefully temporary on the path to perfection. Until they get the mix adjusted right, I'm just trying to save some people of like mind some time in figuring out where to hit the ff button to cope, to not overly subject themselves to things that they probably don't particularly like either.

People read reviews by like-minded reviewers to find tips on which shows to skip, which episodes to skip. It's the same thing here only it's what part of an episode they might want to skip. I'm not even suggesting that they do anything. If you always want to eat everything on your plate, just the way it's served. Fine by me.

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

...And you can't credibly tell me that you've never used the fast forward button on your remote control.
    ...I know what I like and much of that probably matches other sci-fi buffs.
    ...Until they get the mix adjusted right, I'm just trying to save some people of like mind some time in figuring out where to hit the ff button to cope, to not overly subject themselves to things that they probably don't particularly like either.
    1) yes, I can state that I don't ff through episodes. Mostly because then I would miss stuff. And, you know, come here and complain that I never understand what's going on or that I don't get it

2) you can definitely say what you like; it's when you start including other people in that that you're way off base. I'm sure there's got to be at least one other person that agrees with you but from the looks of the kinds of responses you're getting, it doesn't seem to be a majority.

3) well now, that's just arrogant, son

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB