Armchair Edits for Air 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Armchair Edits for Air 1

If you have the ability to edit DVD's, here is what I would recommend for Air 1 :

Start with the extended version which keeps the hallway scene with Scott's remarks about Dinasaurs to Eli etc.

First Edit

Trim the sex scene down to strong innuendo. I explain my reasons for doing this in another thread:
    http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/6...ene-quot/page4
    Plus there's a whole lot of other posts there discussing the pro's and con's .
    Anyway, edit as follows:

Go to the scene where the Hammond pops out of hyperspace and swings by and around into orbit around the planet. There is an existing cut point there.

Go through the sex scene until there is a spot where the camera is out of focus which is right before Scott is tucking in his clothes and starting to go. We miss the the grunting, pillow talk and radio chatter but we have a nice spot here to make a virtually seamless cut back in. We still know what we need to know, but not more than many of us would care to know. Basically ironing out a little kink here.

Second Edit

Chloe runs off all upset about her father. There is a scene following where Col. Young asks Carmine to help. She says something like "I can do that" , the camera goes wide. There is a cut point here. Watch for it.

Now skip the long drawn out scene with Chloe crying and Scott going essentially, yup, yup, yup. There is nothing useful you can say to somebody grieving like that. Niether does Scott, really. Obviously Scott is interested in Chloe. That's the main reason he's following her around here. No surprise. But it seems too soon. And all that crying and sobbing gets to be tedious, especially since it's hard to feel too sorry for her since our man Scott is right there on the job to lend any support as might be needed.

We already know that the Senator maybe wasn't such a total jerk after all, based on his heroic action. But we're done with him and won't be seeing him again. Obviously he wasn't a bad father else she wouldn't be so sad. So all the pretty predictable what-kind-of-nice-things-can-you-say about the man coming out between sobs is redundant from a plot standpoint. It really drags.

So. Wait until the darkness scene where Chloe's tearstreaked face slowly is revealed out of shadow. Cut back in at the darkness right before. Should be virtually seamless. Then we see her face come out followed by a short scene of her all small and alone in the room facing out the window, forlornly staring off into space as it streams by.

It seems natural that somebody would want to be alone after an emotional outburst like she just had. Also I feel more respect and sympathy for Chloe now that the newly remade scene basically shows our character quietly but bravely bearing her sadness all by herself. Now we start thinking, Poor little thing. She's all alone now. Wouldn't it be nice if she could find somebody...

Also with the new timing it makes a kind-of nice ironic moment - sad Chloe counterpoint immediately following Young's - "try to keep everyone upbeat".

Now if I had a few extra thousand laying around for a good compositor I would try to paint a white lab coat on Dr. Simms and it would be perfect, but.. no, it's still good.
    ref: http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/7...mms-Look-Alike

It's a good episode now. I really like it.

That's it. Cut. Print.

I am so moving on to Air 2 now. Really.
    Last edited by apostrophe; 21 May 2010, 02:28 AM. Reason: added link
    "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

no one cares

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      no one cares
      we'll see
      "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

Comment

just another person complaining about somthing about SGU

Comment

OP: It's a good episode now. I really like it.
          fortunately the OP only gets to do the trims for themselves
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

What is the point of this thread?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
              To say how he would make Air better, in his opinion. And I agree, except for the sex scene part I would keep that in there, but some of that stuff I can do without. Thats one of the first things I plan on doing when I get SGU on dvd is to cut out the parts I thought were boring and unnecessary and see if I can make it better

Comment

no one cares
                I second this. I watch the show for the show as it was envisioned by the writers. And if you're gonna edit out half the episode to make it more like something else, why not just go watch the something else?
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

we complain because we care

Comment

Originally posted by Loheat View Post
                    To say how he would make Air better, in his opinion. And I agree, except for the sex scene part I would keep that in there, but some of that stuff I can do without. Thats one of the first things I plan on doing when I get SGU on dvd is to cut out the parts I thought were boring and unnecessary and see if I can make it better
                    yes, that's it.

It's a fun thing to do especially after one has watched a couple times. The armchair thing is like being an armchair general as they say, or armchair director. It's also interesting to hear how people figure they might improve something. Or what they think of one's own ideas.

It sure was a lot easier to try to do this kind of thing with vhs tapes though..

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post

hobby interest.

also it provides an excuse to keep rewatching the episodes again to see how the "improvements worked out (or not).

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                        I second this. I watch the show for the show as it was envisioned by the writers. And if you're gonna edit out half the episode to make it more like something else, why not just go watch the something else?
                        the point isn't to change it into something else, more to try to "help" improve the flavor by trimming some of the fat or repairing something that may have needed a little more time or debate in the editing room. Sometimes things get thrown in due to studio pressure or they need to pad scenes to make it fit a time slot. The home viewer/affectionada doesn't necessarily have to suffer under those kinds of restraints.

there usually isn't anything else (as good) i'd rather watch

Comment

Originally posted by apostrophe View Post
                          the point isn't to change it into something else, more to try to "help" improve the flavor by trimming some of the fat or repairing something that may have needed a little more time or debate in the editing room. Sometimes things get thrown in due to studio pressure or they need to pad scenes to make it fit a time slot. The home viewer/affectionada doesn't necessarily have to suffer under those kinds of restraints.

there usually isn't anything else (as good) i'd rather watch
                          Removing the bits you don't like isnt "helping improve the flavour", it's simply cutting out the things you don't think should be there. What's there is there because the writers wanted to tell a certain story, you removing it changes that story. Not to mention your cuts seem to be based around removing areas where they delve into character interactions and want to tell us about how these characters tick, not really the best things to be cutting out in a character focused drama series.

Comment

apostrophe you know you can answer multiple posts in one post, not a separate one for eachresponse

Comment

Originally posted by Krazeh View Post
                              Removing the bits you don't like isnt "helping improve the flavour", it's simply cutting out the things you don't think should be there. What's there is there because the writers wanted to tell a certain story, you removing it changes that story. Not to mention your cuts seem to be based around removing areas where they delve into character interactions and want to tell us about how these characters tick, not really the best things to be cutting out in a character focused drama series.
                              Well, consider this: If they thought there was only one perfect way to tell the story, why would they release two different cuts on the DVD for the viewer to choose from ?

Comment

Working...
                              X