Telford Simms Look Alike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telford Simms Look Alike

One thing that confused me a little the first time I watched Air 1 was the Icarus Base scene where TJ is desperately trying to revive this guy on the floor.

From that angle and obscured by the blood he looked just like Telford to me. Though we saw a lot of him, I didn't really catch Telford's name initially, so when she says some name to the guy on the floor, it didn't really identify him to me as somebody else.

I was also a little puzzled by her distress since Talford didn't really seem all that endearing. And, of course, as it turns out, he isn't.

Turns out the guy on the floor we see for the first and last time was (the late) Dr. Simms, which we must assume was a friend and contemporary of T.J. based on her level of concern, though there was no scene actually establishing it.

If only they'd put a white doctor coat on the guy before laying him out, things would have been a lot clearer, easier on the viewer trying to follow what's going on through the flashbacks etc .

Anybody else experience this? Case of mistaken identity...
    "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

i found the flashbacks easy to follow. i msure she wouldnt cry of just anyone

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      i found the flashbacks easy to follow. i msure she wouldnt cry of just anyone
      I don't mind flashbacks either. They're an accepted modern cinematic technique after all.

But since I thought Telford got killed, then see him up and about again later, the immediate mental adjustment was that, oh, this must be another flashback, delaying the time it took to figure out there were two seperate people. Of course Telford alive "again" wasn't a flashback, so, well, perhaps you can see how there could be a little momentary confusion from all that...
      "Thank God it hit the Reading Library, or somebody might have been seriously hurt!"

Comment

Originally posted by apostrophe View Post
        I don't mind flashbacks either. They're an accepted modern cinematic technique after all.

But since I thought Telford got killed, then see him up and about again later, the immediate mental adjustment was that, oh, this must be another flashback, delaying the time it took to figure out there were two seperate people. Of course Telford alive "again" wasn't a flashback, so, well, perhaps you can see how there could be a little momentary confusion from all that...
        well ur the only one

Comment

well ur the only one
          Actually I was confused too at the beginning.

Comment

I had a feeling that I wasn't the only one.

Actually it's not so bad.

Sometimes I find myself watching Mystery Theater or some mid-20th century British drama and end up with a similar, though worse, complaint. There's all these white guys in suits with identical short haircuts. Usually at least two of the women have similar hair and otherwise look and talk alike. These things are almost all character dialog and if you miss a beat it's easy to lose track of who's who.

That's the nice thing about recording or DVD. It's possible to go back and double check things.

In SG1 when they introduced the Mitchel character, I remember in the commentary a point being made that they were afraid that new viewers would confuse him with Daniel Jackson since they kind-of look alike at first glance. Vala even quips something about "...the limited gene pool" implying the similarity. So they had Michael Shanks keep his beard for a while so he looked different.

Actually a beard or mustache would have worked here also.

Regular viewers of SG1 wouldn't have had a problem because of being so familiar with seeing Shanks. Here though basically we're all new viewers again coping with all new characters. A whole lot of new characters at once, some of them are emerging as more prominent, but at first many of them seem to mix in with the numerous secondary characters

I almost had a problem understanding the Camile Wray character until I discovered that she wasn't the only Asian-looking woman on the cast. Not to get too far ahead, we surmise that she doesn't like boys but then it seems at some point we see her in a situation where clearly, the female person definitely does. To be honest, in that instance, the first thing my eye was drawn to wasn't her face.

Going back now it's obvious there are two separate characters. The younger, prettier one is some kind of scientist type though I still didn't catch her name. Camile is the one who apparently has a significant other of the same gender. It took a lot of winding back and forth to find Camile's name mentioned.

I guess one of the reasons I always like RDA as O'Neill in SG1 is because we share the same name memory thing...

"Folger!" ... "eh..It's Felger.
            "Whatever."
            --

Comment

so what ur saying is that all asian (and euroasians) look the same.....thats racism my friend

Comment

so what ur saying is that all asian (and euroasians) look the same.....thats racism my friend
                You should realize that I'm not saying that at all.

Some people share common traits of appearance as well as differences of appearance. When they're rapidly introducing all kinds of characters and only one guy is wearing a dark suit, until you find out more details, he becomes "the guy in a dark suit" for a while. On to the next character. That's not being racist. That's just how people cope with trying to remember things sometimes. Association.

Actual Racism is a bad thing. I am glad that you seem to be against it.

Now, if they're going to show a similar-looking second guy in a dark suit covered in blood laying there dead at an oblique angle for few seconds, there's a good chance people in the audience are going to think it's the first guy and get the characters confused for a while. Good directing avoids such pitfalls.

Terminator Salvation is an excellent movie but I had the same problem. Two white guys of similar height and build with army-style brush cuts. We meet the first one as a main character. He goes off by himself.

Then a similar looking guy appears out of nowhere covered in, I guess, mud, in a rainstorm at the same site we were before. I couldn't figure out who he was initially though I thought how could the main character be back here. It was confusing. It's my only criticism of the movie.

I'm leveling the same constructive criticism here.
                Last edited by apostrophe; 22 May 2010, 02:48 AM. Reason: spel

Comment

Working...
                X