TJ & Young, Scott & James Relationship Against Military Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2BAM View Post
    I think "who cares!!!" I think it's great to break the rules......it makes a great story.....period.
    I think I'm in the 'who cares' camp. Sure, I think infidelity is not cool, but it's unrealistic to present it as never happening. These rules are made for a reason - BECAUSE it happens. Just as people have affairs with people they work with. You can't work in that sort of close environment and not have it happen, and it adds further layers of ties between characters.
    sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

I think it makes a good story line and good character development and makes SGU even more different than SG-1 or SGA...which is a good thing

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette;11585876PS. They just dismissed the Canadian commander in Afghanistan for this very thing. The military takes this stuff very seriously. Apparently, even if you are married, and your wife is deployed with you, [B
        conjugal relations are not allowed in a war zone while on deployment.[/B]
        Thing is, it wasn't his wife he had the conjugal relations with...
        sigpic
        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
          But I wonder if the military advisers were really okay with having 4 officers breaking the rules.
          Do they even have military advisers for SGU??? Given the stories thus far, I'd say NO.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
            I think it was a lot more than a one night stand. His wife found out about it for one thing. TJ probably decided to leave when it became clear he was not going to leave his wife.

PS. They just dismissed the Canadian commander in Afghanistan for this very thing. The military takes this stuff very seriously. Apparently, even if you are married, and your wife is deployed with you, conjugal relations are not allowed in a war zone while on deployment.
            I have a very hard time believing that's the sole reaon they pulled him. Maybe it's just the least damaging reason. If they took it very seriously, would it happen at all?

(as a side note, are you referring to the Col. Russell Williams case, where the guy is also charged with multiple counts of murder and rape? Cus I'd be thinking that would be the bigger problem and it's got nothing to do with infidelity at all...just sayin')
            Last edited by xxxevilgrinxxx; 08 June 2010, 03:31 PM.
            sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

would T J be under the direct command of the doctor that was killed in the first episode, the one with the neck wound.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                Do they even have military advisers for SGU??? Given the stories thus far, I'd say NO.
                I knew that there were.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pending View Post
                  would T J be under the direct command of the doctor that was killed in the first episode, the one with the neck wound.
                  Yes, but Young was still the top of the chain of command at Icarus. The medical officer would be reporting directly to Young. TJ was still under his direct chain of command. This kind of relationship is definitely against regs, but it happens. No one is infallible.
                  I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by kwlafayette View Post
                    I think it was a lot more than a one night stand. His wife found out about it for one thing. TJ probably decided to leave when it became clear he was not going to leave his wife.

PS. They just dismissed the Canadian commander in Afghanistan for this very thing. The military takes this stuff very seriously. Apparently, even if you are married, and your wife is deployed with you, conjugal relations are not allowed in a war zone while on deployment.
                    My ex-husband was a staff sergeant deploying to Afghanistan. While training up at Camp Shelby, he met a Private 20 yrs his junior (20 years old) and carried on an affair. I found out, his commander found out, and while his commander was very displeased, but there wasn't much they were willing to do other than counseling him. He left me for her after 13 years of marriage and 3 kids and married her. He was never reprimanded. So yes, it isn't supposed to go on, but it does, and often nothing is done about it. The military has more pressing matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
                      Yes, but Young was still the top of the chain of command at Icarus. The medical officer would be reporting directly to Young. TJ was still under his direct chain of command. This kind of relationship is definitely against regs, but it happens. No one is infallible.
                      Exactly. The military would probably love to court martial or do something about each one that carry's on this kind of relationship but the reality is, the military always has way more pressing issues to deal with.

Originally posted by brotymo View Post
                      My ex-husband was a staff sergeant deploying to Afghanistan. While training up at Camp Shelby, he met a Private 20 yrs his junior (20 years old) and carried on an affair. I found out, his commander found out, and while his commander was very displeased, but there wasn't much they were willing to do other than counseling him. He left me for her after 13 years of marriage and 3 kids and married her. He was never reprimanded. So yes, it isn't supposed to go on, but it does, and often nothing is done about it. The military has more pressing matters.
                      Ouch!
                      My Life Motto: There are no wrong roads in life just paths that lead to unexpected Adventures.
                      "Ago simplex sic alius may simplex ago" - Live simply, so other's may simply live - Ghandi

Comment

Originally posted by brotymo View Post
                        Well said and thank you for sharing
                        sigpic
                        My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                        poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                          See, I'm convinced that TJ and Young are a direct subversion and deconstruction of Jack'n'Sam from SG-1. Think about it for a second: older colonel, younger and blond junior officer under his command, affair, sparks, etc. And now they're showing all the ways that such a relationship would never work out.
                          Oooh! Good observation!
                          Sincerely,

Kevin Long
                          (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
                          http://www.kevin-long.com

Comment

According to the rules of every branch of the service, romantic and/or sexual relationships between junior and senior officers in the same command are strictly forbidden. It tends to work against the strict caste system the military works by, *and* there's simply too much opportunity for abusing rank for sexual favors ("I'll get you a better job if you let me hit that").

Doing so is a court martial offence, generally with both people getting thrown out of the service. There's also the possibility of jail time if there's any evidence of coercion.

In fact, if an officer has an affair - even with someone not in the service - that can get 'em thrown out. Officers are held to a higher code of conduct than the enlisted are. Honor still counts somewhat in the military. Adultery is inherently dishonorable, and so it *can* be a major offence, though in actual fact they tend to mostly overlook it unless it's particularly heinous or whatever. Scott and James' relationship probably wouldn't be something that would go before the courts, but it would CERTAINLY be reprimanded if it got out.

Though it's obviously not a sexual or romantic relationship, it's worth noting that Greer and Scott's friendship (Which is one of the things I like best about the show) is a bit overly familiar.

That said, as someone pointed out, this is a TV show and a mostly-Canadian one at that; not a textbook on military conduct. <G>
                            Here, check this out http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justi...ation.-ukn.htm

and http://usmilitary.about.com/od/punit.../a/mcm1342.htm

That goes into a bit of detail about the rules.
                            Sincerely,

Kevin Long
                            (The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0)
                            http://www.kevin-long.com

Comment

I remember this thread. Still funny.
                              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Working...
                              X