Battlestar Galactica - Music question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battlestar Galactica - Music question

hi all, i have just watched the episode 1x10 - The Hand Of God and was wondering if anyone knows what the music is throughout this episode

i cant decide if its Irish or Scottish, but i would like to find out, and as it dosent mention it in the credits i thought id ask here if anyone has seen the episode and knows what the music is (group or song title) could you please post it here

thanks in advance

anybody ????

Comment

Although I'm in the UK myself and I don't know the music that was used, remember that the UK is the only country to currently have Battlestar Galactica. It doesn't start in the US until the end of this month -- so by the time they're where we are now, it won't be until two or three months away. Sorry I couldn't help further.
      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Markey2
        Considering we've only got 3 episodes left I think we might have seen the season finale before the US even gets the premiere episode of season 1.

As soon as the US begins airing Battlestar Galactica (this Friday), the following Monday we'll be on the penultimate episode, so basically -- we're almost finished the first season before the US even starts.
        __

__

Comment

From what I've read at Mediablvd the music is Minstrel Boy (Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros), from the Blackhawk Down soundtrack.

If you have the DVD, it's played in the credits after the poem. Beautiful Song.
          Last edited by Blue Banrigh; 14 January 2005, 06:03 AM.

Comment

I have the version of "Minstrel Boy" you speak of, and while the piece in "Hand of God" is done in a very similar style, it's not the same one.

-IMF
            "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
            "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
            BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
              I have the version of "Minstrel Boy" you speak of, and while the piece in "Hand of God" is done in a very similar style, it's not the same one.
              Is it a different rendition of the same song, or a different song completely?

Comment

Borrowing this conveniently titled thread for a moment... can anyone tell me what's being sung at the beginning of the theme in the UK version? I pick up "souls" and "radio". Or that's how it sounds to me, anyway....

Sorry if it's been asked before, I haven't dug all the way through all the BSG threads yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                  Is it a different rendition of the same song, or a different song completely?
                  A different song completly. It's done in the same style, clearly reminiscent, but it's a different tune. "The Minstrel Boy" is an old Irish folksong by Thomas Moore... it's distinctive enough that I'd have recognized it instantly. The one in Hand of God is definitely not "The Minstrel Boy" but it certainly is done in the Joe Strummer/Mescalero style.

-IMF
                  "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                  "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                  BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    Borrowing this conveniently titled thread for a moment... can anyone tell me what's being sung at the beginning of the theme in the UK version? I pick up "souls" and "radio". Or that's how it sounds to me, anyway....
                    I don't think it's sung in English, sounds more like the language used in the funeral prayer in the mini.

I hear Orvald and neeama, it's like audio Rorschach.

Has anybody got a version of the US theme?

Comment

Yeah, well, the rest of it didn't sound English, so I could be making it up. But the "radio" part seemed pretty clear. It's probably the end of one word and beginning of another...

Comment

Listening to it again, I can hear "radio" now. Does it sound like any language here on earth? The new series has a great deal to do with ancient greek culture, so is it ancient Greek?

Comment

I found a link to a demo of the victory song.

Wander My Friends

And he also mentions that there will be a soundtrack released later ths year.

Comment

Thanks for that link Blue Banrigh

i had ordered the soundtrack to BSG from amazon but it had nothing like i was expecting and as soundtracks go i was pretty dissapointed has some good parts but the majority of the soundtrack rehashes the same tune over and over, but hey, if a new one is on the way with hand of god style music in it ill buy it for that alone

Comment

It was the miniseries soundtrack? Yeah the music for the was pretty sparse, but from the samples I've heard the series soundtrack has variety.

Bear McCreary

There are more samples of music from the series, they aren't all confined to the scifi section there are BSG samples in most of the categories. The best ones IMHO is 'Wander My Friends', 'Starbuck's Memories' and 'The Shape of Things to Come'. But all of them are pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X