Troubling Hallucinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Troubling Hallucinations

Hopefully this hasn't been discussed somewhere else--I did lots of reading and couldn't find it.

I'm curious what people think about what the hallucinations as indications that we should be wary of certain crew members.

Now, I know that the hallucinations aren't indicative of what these people think on a day to day basis, but nevertheless they are created by their own subconscious. They're real feelings.

Chloe, Matt, and Rush's hallucinations are all understandable--endearing even. Chloe and Matt have intimate moments with family members they have no hope of contacting any time soon (or ever in Chloe's case.) And Rush shows us how deeply being abducted affected him--which I love, because for me it puts to rest the theory that he intended to be abducted and has nefarious motives aboard the Destiny.

It's James and Greer that worry me.

First, Greer. I hate that every time I start to like Greer (especially after we got to see how against all odds he made a decent life for himself) he does something barbaric. You can argue that he really thought that Young was giving him the order to use deadly force if necessary--but in the end it was his own brain that gave that order. This scares me--but there are two saving graces, think: (a) He seems to respect Young as a CO, so IF there was another mutiny I think he would obey an order to stand down. (b) The civilians Mutiny! And under the Uniform Code of Military Justice--even though they're civilians they're part of a military operation so they're subject to the UCMJ--Mutiny is a capital offense. They got off way too easy after trying to take Destiny.

Second, James. She snaps because Matt won't reciprocate her feelings after sexy time and kills the guy. Who knows what might make her snap next. Maybe Chloe has a bad day and *****es her out and she beats Chloe up. At this point, James is the kid at school who is quiet for years and then one day comes in and kills a bunch of classmates. James needs to seek help in the next episode--even if it's just talking to TJ.

I don't think James' nightmare was intended for Matt to die, I think her fear was being able to be with him again, and then him dumping her for Chloe again, and again, and again. She fears being abandoned and alone, no relationship. We saw a glimsp of that a few episodes ago when she made a comment about how she felt somebody was attractive, and that person heard her say that, she was more than just mortified.
    Homer: WHEN PIGS FLY!...
    (a pig was in a cannon, and got shot accross the town, right were homer can see)

Homer: Doh!

Comment

No one is going to turn into a psychopathic killer if that is what you're asking. Life will go on as normal except a Wray's battle scar which I'm sure she'll use to her advantage if her and Rush ever have a fight. Women can be so vindictive. Lovu and da peace!

Comment

Of all the hallucinations, I found Volker's (well maybe not...) the most interesting, or at least not spoken of as much. I wouldn't chalk it up to simple claustrophobia, although there's a bit of that. I mean, if it was just claustrophobia, he'd just be in a close space, but this seemed something a little different. To me, it was as though the ship was closing in around him. I think it's being stuck on Destiny that's got him freaked out (with good reason I suppose), but, as per OP, that's a fear that could come into play at some point, making you wonder about what effect being afraid of the Destiny might have on him.
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by brian_177 View Post
          It's James and Greer that worry me.

First, Greer. I hate that every time I start to like Greer (especially after we got to see how against all odds he made a decent life for himself) he does something barbaric. You can argue that he really thought that Young was giving him the order to use deadly force if necessary--but in the end it was his own brain that gave that order. This scares me--but there are two saving graces, think: (a) He seems to respect Young as a CO, so IF there was another mutiny I think he would obey an order to stand down. (b) The civilians Mutiny! And under the Uniform Code of Military Justice--even though they're civilians they're part of a military operation so they're subject to the UCMJ--Mutiny is a capital offense. They got off way too easy after trying to take Destiny.
          I have a hard time nailing down what drives Greer. But I think all he wants is approval from his father/father figure (ie Young). Young is practically a father to Greer. Greer appears to seek Young's approval every step of the way. Greer's hallucination is an extension of that need for approval and the need to protect his family.

Second, James. She snaps because Matt won't reciprocate her feelings after sexy time and kills the guy. Who knows what might make her snap next. Maybe Chloe has a bad day and *****es her out and she beats Chloe up. At this point, James is the kid at school who is quiet for years and then one day comes in and kills a bunch of classmates. James needs to seek help in the next episode--even if it's just talking to TJ.
          You can't dismiss the whole scene as "won't reciprocate feelings after sexy time" because it was so much more than that. The events in her hallucination were extremely incendiary. Especially Matt's "I never said I wanted both" comment, that even made me angry.

If you look at Kino 6 - Don't Encourage Him it's practically common knowledge among the military personnel. She's a woman who is suffering a very public humiliation and cannot get away from it. The events in the hallucination was what it would take for her to go over the edge.

No wonder she jumped at the chance of spending 3 weeks in a paraplegic's body. Too bad she wasn't able to handle it, the time away might have one her good.

She needs to talk to someone, to let her feelings out, but I'm not sure she feel comfortable talking to TJ.

Comment

There was also that comment from the wrap-up where it was mentioned that having more than one tick increased the intensity of the hallucinations. We could draw from this that Rush, Volker, James, Greer etc had more than one, while Scott and Chloe had but one.

regards,
            G.
            Go for Marty...

Comment

or the tick hust have different genders and the intensity of the halluciniations is an result of different type of ticks
              when this is the case then i wonder wich gender would make an "friendly" hallucination
              sigpic

Comment

If alien ticks are like Earth ticks, I would assume that female ticks are larger - maybe more venom?
                sigpic
                Goodbye and Good Travels, Destiny!

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Jeffer View Post
                  or the tick hust have different genders and the intensity of the halluciniations is an result of different type of ticks
                  when this is the case then i wonder wich gender would make an "friendly" hallucination
                  Guess they'll never find out since they were all squished! If they could isolate happy tick from angry tick, it can have good medicinal uses.

Comment

I do think James is in a very bad place. I rewatched the extended pilot on my SGU dvd recently. I'd missed the scene where Young, on his way to see how Chloe is doing, is confronted by James where she says, "Why don't you ask how I'm doing?" She's having a hard time on the ship. She's lonely and she feels abandoned. I think it's getting worse and worse for her. She has this hallucination months after her fling with Scott and she's still obsessing over him.

I'm afraid James is heading for snapsville.
                    All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Im just curious, if James and Scott never realy had sex...was she jumping around in the bed naked by herself? O_o

Comment

Originally posted by The Swarm View Post
                        Im just curious, if James and Scott never realy had sex...was she jumping around in the bed naked by herself? O_o
                        Probably. Must've been quite a sight to see.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                          Probably. Must've been quite a sight to see.
                          I'm glad that I'm an honorable gentleman and thus has enough decceny and respect not to be yearning to see such a thing. I mean just thinking about it... NO! That image! It's in my head now! I can't get it out!
                          sigpic
                          Doci of the BAG

Comment

Originally posted by GateroomGuard View Post
                            I'm glad that I'm an honorable gentleman and thus has enough decceny and respect not to be yearning to see such a thing. I mean just thinking about it... NO! That image! It's in my head now! I can't get it out!
                            Gotta love imagination, eh?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                              Gotta love imagination, eh?
                              You've turned my imagination into a den of sin and debauchery! When I got my sig my mind has decent and honorable. Do you know what I'm seeing when I look at it now?!
                              sigpic
                              Doci of the BAG

Comment

Working...
                              X