This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancients dialing destiny

Given the enormous power requirements of dialing the 9th chevron what type of power source do you think the ancients were going to use? might it still be around somewhere?

blackhole since the ori worked out that the milkyway must be far a blackhole would be enough but then again maybe like 5 zpms and or a trinity weapon
    sigpic

Comment

6 AAA batteries

Comment

Do you think the power requirements are a factor of the distance Destiny is from the dialing gate?

If that is the case, they may not have really planned for millions of year into the future, maybe only 10,000 or so. I'm doing good if I have plans for next month
        sigpic

Comment

A ZPM should be more than enough. The problem was never not having enough energy, the problem was getting the exact amount of energy right.

Comment

I don't think a ZPM is enough to get to Destiny. It gets drained by dialing another galaxy too many times. Maybe 10 ZPMs would do it but I am just guessing. I would like to know the yield of the Icarus planet's core as well as a ZPM so that we can compare.

Comment

the ancients never intended to wait that long before getting onboard. they never intended a 10 million year flight before going onboard. they probably would've waited a few hundred to thousand years tops, then they would've gone onboard.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                the ancients never intended to wait that long before getting onboard. they never intended a 10 million year flight before going onboard. they probably would've waited a few hundred to thousand years tops, then they would've gone onboard.
                But I thought SGU gates predated MW ones and they are 50+ million years old, so dosen't that mean they had millions of years to go to the Destiny before they went to Pegasus.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben 'Teal'c would WIN!!' Noble View Post
                  But I thought SGU gates predated MW ones and they are 50+ million years old, so dosen't that mean they had millions of years to go to the Destiny before they went to Pegasus.
                  maybe they forgot

Comment

A ZedPM contains more than enough power to gate to Destiny, no matter how far away she is. A fully charged ZedPM, that is. Something that is notoriously lacking in our modern, Ancient-free Local Group. The problem was how to approximate the power of a ZedPM without having said trinket to work with, and the next best solution was a planetary core loaded with naquadriah, which (as Air I showed us) is a tricky proposition at best.

As for why the Ancients never gated to Destiny, you have to remember that their civilization lasted for at least 40,000,000 years or so on Earth/Milky Way. That's a looooooooong time to create and forget something, so it's entierly possible that the group that envisioned the Destiny project didn't share it with or deliberably withheld it from their contemporaries. Perhaps they were a persecuted group trying to escape the crushing pressure to conform, or a band of criminals looking to escape, or maybe they were scientests like Janus and looking for a quiet place on their own to conduct their experiments.

I suspect that's a question that we'll not have answered any time soon, if at all.
                    sigpic
                    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by General Jumper One View Post
                      maybe they forgot
                      Wait, or darn I'm sure I suppose to be doing something 2 million years ago, oh well it can't of been that important.

Comment

People are too quick to assume as granted that the ancients never dialed Destiny based on the fact that the Smurf's galaxy and this new one have prototype gates. Destiny passed through Pegasus millions of years ago and it now has cool digital gates. Who is to say that they didn't explore at least the first ten galaxies after Pegasus? I for one heard 50 blips on the map shown in Air, so that means they are a least in the 51th galaxy right now (area 51 lol).

Only when our 304's go to one o these galaxies (or SGC dials one of them) we well know if they still have prototype gates or some model of replacement gate with DHD's and stuff. That alone is reason for the LA to want access to Destiny's data-base: some hints might be there, and thought Atlantis surely can have even better info on this regard, taking Destiny can (travel-distance issues aside) be a far easier target than Atlantis - probably the most heavily protected location on the entire Solar System.

About ZPM's: 3 are needed to put Atlantis on maximum eficiency (did I spell it right? eficiency), and we can't make replacements, so every ZPM is a treasure without price. Surely they won't spend an unknow ammount of them trying to dial Destiny, which is a secondary concern to Earth in comparison to other issues back on this side of the universe, according to the producers (2 wars in 2 galaxies + 2 databases [Asgard Core + Atlantis] full of unconceivably advanced technologies)
                        One Ring to rule the Dark Side
                        sigpic
                        Sith Nazghul

Comment

The gate address for Destiny was in the database, so they knew it existed, at least. Unless their database was copied many times from older storage devices, sort of like copying your files when reinstalling/upgrading the OS on your computer, they should've found it at some point.

Comment

It is possible they went to Destiny then got bored after the first couple galaxies and came back. There had to have been a reason they chose the pegasus galaxy. They probably had a ton of data on several galaxies and were like "oh snap, this is the best galaxy to move to"

Comment

Originally posted by ProclarushTaonasAt View Post
                              I don't think a ZPM is enough to get to Destiny. It gets drained by dialing another galaxy too many times. Maybe 10 ZPMs would do it but I am just guessing. I would like to know the yield of the Icarus planet's core as well as a ZPM so that we can compare.
                              the thing with zpms is not the amount of power they can provide its the amount of power it can provide at once. i imagine that the icarus planet was able to provide a constant flow of intenese energy needed for the ninth chevron, somehting that a zpm isnt designed to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X