Inside Greer's Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside Greer's Mind

While I acknowledge that this episode was, obviously, full of hallucinations that drove certain characters to extremes, it's also fairly obvious that there was more than a little truth to be found in the situations. The one I'm fascinated with is Greer. For me, he's the most controversial character, as he seems to make progress in one episode, only to blow it in the next.

It's obvious that Greer has reasons not to trust Rush or Wray. I disagree that it's because of the rebellion; that was the concrete proof, sure, but Greer truly did hate both of them from day one. I don't think he'd intentionally violate orders, not yet at least, to take steps to get rid of them. But he has openly approved of 'getting rid of' Rush before, and in this episode it showed that he was ready to kill two essentially defenseless people, one of whom was begging for her life. I'm not sure Greer in his right mind would do this. But, I'd love to hear some debate about this.

How far would he go? Would he, presented a perfect opportunity to murder both Wray and Rush and get away with it, go ahead and do it? To protect his leader and his crew, surely, but also for personal reasons?

He likes to be told what to do, so he'll ask his superiors for directions. That way he won't have to make any emotional decisions.

Comment

I think Greer felt pretty guilty there at the end. When Wray walked by him, you could see it in his eyes. I don't think he would ever go that far under normal circumstances.
      sigpic
      Teal'c: "Appearances may be deceiving."
      O'Neill: "One man's ceiling is another man's floor."
      Daniel: "A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell."
      O'Neill: "Never run with...scissors?"

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
        While I acknowledge that this episode was, obviously, full of hallucinations that drove certain characters to extremes, it's also fairly obvious that there was more than a little truth to be found in the situations. The one I'm fascinated with is Greer. For me, he's the most controversial character, as he seems to make progress in one episode, only to blow it in the next.

It's obvious that Greer has reasons not to trust Rush or Wray. I disagree that it's because of the rebellion; that was the concrete proof, sure, but Greer truly did hate both of them from day one. I don't think he'd intentionally violate orders, not yet at least, to take steps to get rid of them. But he has openly approved of 'getting rid of' Rush before, and in this episode it showed that he was ready to kill two essentially defenseless people, one of whom was begging for her life. I'm not sure Greer in his right mind would do this. But, I'd love to hear some debate about this.

How far would he go? Would he, presented a perfect opportunity to murder both Wray and Rush and get away with it, go ahead and do it? To protect his leader and his crew, surely, but also for personal reasons?
        It's a shame that hate seems to be a word that gets chucked around so easily. Hate's such a strong word, don't you think? Distrust, most definitely, but if he truly hated those people, wouldn't he have just shot them? And there's more than enough dislike to go around. Wray sure doesn't like Greer either and if she had her way, Greer would, at the very least, be locked in a cell for the entirety of their journey.

As for the experience in Pain, it was really scary, no doubt, for all involved, but imagine having THIS displayed as the one fear that could undo you? And it was displayed, because Wray was really Wray, not a hallucination. It was even put on display for Rush, although I'm not sure Rush was in his right mind to see it.

Even before Greer acted on his hallucination, he contacted Young for permission. Of course, the hallucination played havok with him, but it does show that he has a certain amount of self-control. There was a moment with Wray's bloody hand when he seemed to clear his head for a second, and then his father showed up. I believe he felt genuine remorse for having hurt her and, upon rewatching the end of the episode when they pass each other in the hall, there's a second where he stops, as though he wants to say something and there;s just a bare sigh. I think he regrets it, even though he really wasn't in control when it happened. These aren't the actions of someone filled with hate.
        sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
          Even before Greer acted on his hallucination, he contacted Young for permission. Of course, the hallucination played havok with him, but it does show that he has a certain amount of self-control. There was a moment with Wray's bloody hand when he seemed to clear his head for a second, and then his father showed up. I believe he felt genuine remorse for having hurt her and, upon rewatching the end of the episode when they pass each other in the hall, there's a second where he stops, as though he wants to say something and there;s just a bare sigh. I think he regrets it, even though he really wasn't in control when it happened. These aren't the actions of someone filled with hate.
          I think there's an element of his professional pride being hurt too, in that last sequence. He takes his job of protecting the crew, "his" crew, very seriously, and it must have been hard to think that he was the one putting lives at risk, let alone apologise for acting under any suspicions while not fully in control.

As for Wray, while I'm not surprised she wouldn't want to speak with Greer (even to listen to an apology), I really got the vibe that she thought the whole mutiny would just blow over for the military folk, until she was being stitched up, "what is normal anymore?"

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
            I think there's an element of his professional pride being hurt too, in that last sequence. He takes his job of protecting the crew, "his" crew, very seriously, and it must have been hard to think that he was the one putting lives at risk, let alone apologise for acting under any suspicions while not fully in control.

As for Wray, while I'm not surprised she wouldn't want to speak with Greer (even to listen to an apology), I really got the vibe that she thought the whole mutiny would just blow over for the military folk, until she was being stitched up, "what is normal anymore?"
            Yeah, that gets at the deeper reason for his fear, failing. Failing to do his duty and failing to stop the mutiny, failing even at the end to not be able to stop a hallucination, because despite all the reasons (hallucination induced as they were) he could not even then 'finish' - for which he's likely glad, but still, to have that brought out so that everyone, and especially someone he already doesn't trust/like, gets a good look inside his head?

I'm really hoping that, like her scene with Eli, that Wray will be able at some point to be able to talk to Greer. She's got her own baggage about Greer to get over as well and maybe this will be the experience they need? A girl can hope.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm really hoping that, like her scene with Eli, that Wray will be able at some point to be able to talk to Greer. She's got her own baggage about Greer to get over as well and maybe this will be the experience they need? A girl can hope.
              I'm hoping for the exact opposite. I'm hoping that they turn their dispute into something personal; she may not have liked him before, due to his military record, but a bullet in the shoulder turns her into a vindictive old sow out to ruin him

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
                I'm hoping for the exact opposite. I'm hoping that they turn their dispute into something personal; she may not have liked him before, due to his military record, but a bullet in the shoulder turns her into a vindictive old sow out to ruin him
                It's not a bullet in her shoulder but a stab wound from Rush and a screwdriver...and Wray? Vindictive? *whistles innocently* Oh yeah, that she is...I just keep hoping that she gets over it
                sigpic

Comment

It's not a bullet in her shoulder but a stab wound from Rush and a screwdriver...and Wray? Vindictive? *whistles innocently* Oh yeah, that she is...I just keep hoping that she gets over it
                  It was Rush...with a screwdriver in the cargo bay? I'll have to rewatch that. But having a vindictive Wray out for Rush would be just as interesting, especially after Sabotage.

Comment

Originally posted by justanothervoice View Post
                    it was rush...with a screwdriver in the cargo bay? I'll have to rewatch that. But having a vindictive wray out for rush would be just as interesting, especially after sabotage. :d
                    lol!
                    sigpic

Comment

It's more than just preventing another mutiny; Greer was attempting to save Colonel Young from another coup. It's been shown time and time again that Greer is extremely devoted to Young and regards him far, far higher than anyone else on the ship. He was forced to sit on the side and watch as Wray (and Rush, too) rip apart Young's command, incite disobediance, and culminating in a coup against Young's leadership.

I think Greer's overriding concern was removing a potential threat to Colonel Young.
                      sigpic
                      http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
                        It's more than just preventing another mutiny; Greer was attempting to save Colonel Young from another coup. It's been shown time and time again that Greer is extremely devoted to Young and regards him far, far higher than anyone else on the ship. He was forced to sit on the side and watch as Wray (and Rush, too) rip apart Young's command, incite disobediance, and culminating in a coup against Young's leadership.

I think Greer's overriding concern was removing a potential threat to Colonel Young.
                        good point, and yes, I agree that's a big part of it, that loyalty to Young.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that gets at the deeper reason for his fear, failing. Failing to do his duty and failing to stop the mutiny, failing even at the end to not be able to stop a hallucination, because despite all the reasons (hallucination induced as they were) he could not even then 'finish' - for which he's likely glad, but still, to have that brought out so that everyone, and especially someone he already doesn't trust/like, gets a good look inside his head?

I think its definitely going in that direction. Their hostility will have to come to a head at some point. And yes I too immediately took Greer's facial expression (as Wray walked past him) to be a mixture of guilt and shame. At least Lt James didn't actually clunk the real Scott over the head. Greer though actually threatened the real Wray and even if he doesn't care for her it must be troubling for him that he came so close to killing an innocent person.

Comment

Greer is crazy.....BUT awesome. Greer is loyal to Young and I don't think he would disobey orders unless it was absolutely necessary. Then again there is much we don't know about him and Telford.

Comment

I think (like other people said) that Greer is a soldier who feels guilty by letting the civilians take the ship, so the bug may exploited that !

Originally posted by justanothervoice View Post
                              it was rush...with a screwdriver in the cargo bay? I'll have to rewatch that. But having a vindictive wray out for rush would be just as interesting, especially after sabotage. :d
                              but she didn't know ... did she ?
                              Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Working...
                              X