The End, Part 2 (618)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by offworlder716 View Post
    Lost is a great series. My only problem with it is that for all the foresight and detail that went into the first five seasons, the last season gives vague explanations.

I've also found that many people misunderstand the ending to mean that they were all dead the entire time rather than dying separately and the afterlife being timeless.
    Personally I think Lost revived the sci-fi serial tv shows on broadcast while killing it at the same time due to it's average and vague ending. Not enough plots points were resolved to satisfaction. Now when you watch a show like The Event, Flashforward, etc you wonder if it will all lead to nothing.

The journey was fun but I would have appreciated more resolution since I was mainly drawn by the mystery of the show.
    Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

A little late to the party here, but I just finished the final episode so I'll share some thoughts.

I'm glad I didn't follow the show regularly when it was airing because I didn't think the ending was satisfactory enough and probably would have been disappointed that after all those years, this is all we got.

I can see what they were trying to do, and apparently according to sources, J.J Abrams had the ending planned out from the start of the show. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt but I'm sure they hadn't planned how they were going to get there.

I like the idea of leaving certain aspects of a show open ended where the viewer can draw their own conclusions. However, I think in this show, too many questions were left unanswered, especially those that have lingered on from the beginning of the show. I did care about the characters and their journey, but I was also interested in the mysteries (i.e. Why was Walt so special?).

Recently I also watched Babylon 5. This was also a show that posed more and more questions with each passing episode. The creator of the show also stated that he had it all planned out from the start. And true to his word, he delivered, as everything tied in together wonderfully in the end. It is unfortunate that most shows no longer go this route, as it is much easier to draw the masses in with more mysteries and then simply pass off the finale as open-ended due to not having any better ideas on how to conclude the whole thing.

I enjoyed the show and everything that happened, but I wish they could have avoided the BSG-style ending.
      sigpic

Comment

LOL

well i've just now watched season 2 episode 3 and i love spoilers so i've been combing through some of these threads. All and all, I keep watching for:

As long as he's around, I'm good.
        sigpic

Comment

The main reason I hate this ending as the writers have lied to the audience. The fans have found out the Purgatory theory long time ago and they have sworn that won't be the answer. And what have we got? Purgatory. Congratulations. So this is the main reason LOST has still one of the worst series finale ever.
          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
          X