• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vincent and the Doctor (3110/510)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 31
    VINCENT AND THE DOCTOR
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3110 (510)

The Doctor and Amy pay a visit to Vincent Van Gogh, the only man who can see a dangerous and invisible creature that his stalking the streets of his village.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 03:58 PM.

That was a lot better than I expected it to be, but I still missed bits and pieces.

However, I think that was one of the most emotional episodes yet. Vincent's pain when he realises the creature was blind and frightened and he'd accidentally killed it, and most especially in the scene where the Doctor takes Vincent to the Musee d'Orsay in future Paris and he hears how he is regarded after his death were, to me, very powerful. Definite lumps in the throat there (and one of my mates texted me to say the exact same thing).

Some funny lines too, and I laughed at the mutual bow-tie appreciation. The alien story almost felt like a tacked on side-plot, an excuse to get Vincent Van Gogh into Who, and I think that actually speaks volumes for how well acted he was.

I'll definitely have to watch this one again. Next week's looks fun (Daisy Haggard's in it, which is a definite plus for me).
    Last edited by Sealurk; 05 June 2010, 11:13 AM.
    And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
    sigpic
    Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Lol, you beat me to posting

A good, but very different episode I think
      Had the usual action, but it also had a sense of history too, we got to know a man from the past who I didnt really know about
      It had the usual comedy element to it, especially liked the line about the gingers 'If we had had kids, theyd be the ultimate gingers' lol
      I agree about the speech at the end, it showed van Gough that his work did count, that people did like it, that he was a good artist and that his love of colours showed in his work and it obviously had an efect on him
      Tony Curran did a great performance in this episode as van Gough

Looking forward to next weeks episode with James Corden
      Last edited by Teddybrown; 05 June 2010, 12:23 PM.

Comment

A wonderful and moving story from writer Richard Curtis. Matt Smith and Karen Gillan were wonderful as always and Tony Curran as Vincent Van Gogh was a joy to watch. Really enjoyed it.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

I have to say that was some of the best acting I have ever seen in a Doctor Who episode. Tony Curran was brilliant as Van Gogh. And it is the first time a mere standalone episode of any show has almost moved me to tears.
          Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

"I thought you were just a useless gadget from an embarassing godmother with two heads and bad breath...twice."

Okay, so Vincent and the Doctor wasn't the laugh-fest other episodes have been (almost surprising with Richard Curtis writing it), but for once, I think that was a good thing - this was a powerful episode because in many ways it's so different, so gently paced and focused more on the characters than the plot or the alien of the week.

We get a tiny little insight into the Doctor's life, we see him feeling guilt over Rory and/or trying to make Amy happy when she's sad and doesn't know why. We have beautiful performances from everyone (I actually really enjoyed Bill Nighy's brief role as Dr Black, and I hope it isn't the last we see of him on Who), and we see them go back in history and spend almost as much time simply enjoying and absorbing the atmosphere and period as chasing aliens and figuring out the mystery.
            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
            sigpic
            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

I was on the verge of tears come the end of this episode.

Very different, but wonderfully handled with a lot of pathos. Tony Curran played Van Gogh as a very sympathetic character and probably the best portrayal of the man I've seen (I have watched a lot of artist life documentaries).

Will probably make a better review of te episode when I am not in such a state of awe at the beauty of it.
              If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
              sigpic

Comment

Does anyone know by the way what that song near the end was? Or was it just like other Doctor Who featured songs and specially done for the episode?
                Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Matt Smith and Karen Gillan = good as usual.

Bill Nighy = three scene wonder. Stole it all.

Tony Curran = Holy. Mother. Of. God.

Yeah, I liked this one a lot. A nice emotional romp with some character-driven fun (The Doctor's guilt about Rory manifesting as his attempts to distract Amy with shiny things, Van Gogh), a huge living wet dream for the art nuts, some nice humour (The Doctor getting bored as Vincent painted the church was a standout.), some emotion (Holy hell, Tony Curran in the museum at the end!), and another nice little alien encounter that, while a little side-plotty, was still fun and very... ouch, by the revelation of its blindness.
                  ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

"Concentrate, Pablo, it's one eye...either side of the face."

"I remember Michaelangelo painting the Cistine Chapel. What a whinger! I told him, if you're that scared of heights, you shouldn't have taken the job."

I missed these brilliant lines first time around! Nice bit of good humour to lift the story. Compared to the poignancy of Vincent's fit of depression when the Doctor comes to get him to paint the church...you can tell it was written by the same man who wrote Blackadder - more specifically, that incredibly powerful final episode (an episode I can't even think about without getting a lump in the throat). I've always thought humour and tragedy is an incredibly powerful combination, it's like an emotional sucker punch.

I was going to point out the comparisons between this episode and The Shakespeare Code, but frankly, I like this one too much.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                      Does anyone know by the way what that song near the end was? Or was it just like other Doctor Who featured songs and specially done for the episode?
                      Came up with 'Chances' by Athlete, when I googled the first line. Sorry for the double post.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        It was a song called "Chances" performed by a group called Athlete. I downloaded it not long after seeing this latest story.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
                        K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

Oh this was so lovely! Very different and not what I expected but in a good way.

This was the first episode in which I liked Amy so there is hope. It was interesting that this was also the very first time ever in which a pop song was being used prominently (Chances by Athele) but in a very powerful and moving way. The whole scene with Vincent in the museum left me in tears. A very emotional episode. Yes it was a bit thin in regards of the story but it has other fine qualities. Things that stuck with me:

- Amy being crushed that Vincent killed himself anyway, the doctor being there for her and trying hard to make her happy
                          - the beautiful scene in which the three look up in the sky and it changes into the picture "Starry Night"
                          - The TARDIS waltzing through time and space to the tune of the Emperors Waltz
                          - Vincent in the museum!!!!
                          - Bill Nighy :hearts:
                          - "For Amy"

All of this was so moving Also the monster of the week, though not that important was a sad affair. That poor thing..
                          He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                          He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                          And he's wonderful.

Comment

Well it must have been very emotional as they put the Action line at the end. It was just what's good about Doctor Who and one the best episodes of the series. There where some great one liners and I liked how Van Gogh was in love with Amy. And woo hoo, James Corden is in next weeks episode.

Comment

1. How wierd must the Doctor have looked "we have to talk to Vincent van Gogh".

2. Talking about him - probably the best guest actor I've seen in Who for hell knows how long!

3. Bet Amy never thought she'd get to buy van Gogh a bottle of wine.

4. The alien...meh...was more wierd seeing how everyone blamed the deaths on van Gogh.
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                              X