• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hungry Earth (3108/508)

Visit the Episode GuideDOCTOR WHO SERIES 31
    THE HUNGRY EARTH
    EPISODE NUMBER - 3108 (508)

The Doctor and his companions visit a family drilling operation in the year 2020, where a group of hostile reptilians is drilling upward toward the surface ... and now taking hostages.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by Darren; 10 April 2011, 04:00 PM.

Overall quite a good episode i think
    Only saw the 2nd half because my Virgin Box was playing up, so watched it live on iplayer
    Not much character development in this 1, but i think thats because they wanted to set up the story for next week
    The Doctor seems very committed to getting people back from enemy hands
    A certain comedy element was present as usual, which helped the episode i think because its nice to get a few laughs in
    Rorys definately growing on me as a character, glad hes stayed around
    Also nice to see an old species being used, seem to hate the human race, hopefully we learn a little bit more about them next week, but they seem like an interesting species which is good (dunno if they are portrayed as well in the old series because i havent seen the old Whos)
    This episode was definately a setup for nwxt week, but it was a very good setup for next week and the conclusion to the episode was good with the Doctor finding out that the the tribe is actually a whole civilization underground

Next week looks quite good, very interesting to see how this pans out and is resolved
    Last edited by Teddybrown; 22 May 2010, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I know next to nothing about the Silurians and sea devils as a classic series enemy so it's hard for me to judge how they were portrayed here. But it was a good episode. I liked the intereaction between the Doctor and Rory mostly plus Rory is beginning to grow on me a fair bit.

It's clearly more of a set up for the next episode. Much like the classic series eps where often very little happend in the initial episode of a story.
      Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

I think I've been playing too much Gears of War - I went through the whole episode going "that's an emergence hole...that's the Hollow...".

Quite enjoyed it. Nice to see another old Who foe return, and I loved Amy giving the Silurian lip despite being trapped in a glass coffin ("Did you just 'Shh' me?!").

The Doctor overshooting Rio was amusing. The "I'm the last of my species" dialogue was good.
        And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
        sigpic
        Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Wow! Great start to this 2-parter! It was very tense and moody! Marvellous to see a new tribe of Silurians! Having them in this story makes things quite personal for the Doctor. Twice before he tried to make peace between the Silurians and Humans and when he didn't succeed on both occasions there was blood shed on both sides and it hit him hard. Will he fail again? I look forward to seeing Part 2 to find out!

And on a personal note...my first memory of watching Doctor Who was seeing Warriors of the Deep (which was the second story to feature Silurianss for those of you new fans) as a 3-year old in 1984. Seeing Part 1 of The Hungry Earth this evening just feels very significant. Sort of a coming full circle in a way for me.

THE TARDIS DATA CORE - Encyclopaedia and reference site covering DOCTOR WHO, K-9 AND COMPANY, TORCHWOOD,THE SARAH JANE ADVENTURES,
          K-9, CLASS and much more...

Comment

This one was pretty good, not nailbiting but enough to keep me watching, much looking forward to next week

Mo had Red Shirt written all over him

Ambrose is annoying

I've seen that kid before I'm sure of it, was he in Torchwood?

Rory is growing so much as a character, I do hope they keep him

Comment

So, Rory seems to be a full companion now - and he's quite likeable, too. Hope he sticks around for the rest of the series...and maybe the next one.

I can't say I found the episode to be particularly special, but it was certainly enjoyable enough.
              And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
              sigpic
              Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Ya I was pretty pleased with it... very pleased in fact... I really like that woman thats heading up the drill project.. she seems like she's companion material... what was her name again... hmm
                I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Now, I dont' want to knock this too much because it was actualyl quite a good episode , bu I do have one small gripe...

Does the Doctor Who team find it impossible to portray a humanoid monster without a human face?

I don't know why, maybe because this is a returning creature from Classic Who, but I felt that the Silurians had been redeisgned to the point they weren't' silurians anymore. If I had to decide which classic series monster they were purely on appearance then I would have gone for Draconians rather than what they were meant to be.

I know we can do so much more now but do all non-human looking monsters have to be CGI? Right up until the Doctor took the mask off I thought it was a good-looking monster. Soon as it was off, it lost something Just makes me feel a bit disappointed, that's all.

Next week looks good good though.
                  If found, is probably lost on the way to Azaroth or the Pegasus Galaxy
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draygon View Post
                    Now, I dont' want to knock this too much because it was actualyl quite a good episode , bu I do have one small gripe...

Does the Doctor Who team find it impossible to portray a humanoid monster without a human face?
                    I felt the same...I thought the mask was actually a better look than the real Silurian, a bit more like a Sea Devil. However, on the Confidential afterwards, they said something about how they were initially looking at something that was quite faithful to the original Silurian design, but they wanted it to be more identifiable and more of a character...so they went with the typical human face thing.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sealurk View Post
                      I felt the same...I thought the mask was actually a better look than the real Silurian, a bit more like a Sea Devil. However, on the Confidential afterwards, they said something about how they were initially looking at something that was quite faithful to the original Silurian design, but they wanted it to be more identifiable and more of a character...so they went with the typical human face thing.
                      I just feel it's lost something. Over the new series, I'm struggling to think up any humanoid creatures that don't actually look human.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Draygon View Post
                        I just feel it's lost something. Over the new series, I'm struggling to think up any humanoid creatures that don't actually look human.
                        The space-fish in Vampires of Venice were pretty inhuman, as well as Prisoner Zero. Need I mention our dear Star Whale?
                        I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                        Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Mappalazarou View Post
                          The space-fish in Vampires of Venice were pretty inhuman, as well as Prisoner Zero. Need I mention our dear Star Whale?
                          they were CGI though. That's the point. Where are the humanoid monsters that don't look like humans in the new series?

I've only been bale to think of one example after much thinking, and that's the sletheen, and they were partially CGI!
                          sigpic

Comment

what about the ood

Comment

Lool, just rewatched the episode
                              My favourite quote has got to be Rory: Cant you sonic it?
                              Doctor: It doesnt do wood
                              Rory: Well thats rubbish
                              Doctor: Oii, dont diss the sonic!!

I dont have any problem with the aliens that have been on the show so far

Comment

Working...
                              X