Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chief Master Sergeant ONeill4tW's Avatar

Default Re: Nicholas Rush – Character Analysis *Spoilers up to last episode on SyFy*

I missed the caffeine/nicotine withdrawal attack one. Heh.

I would add the stress from "being shot at" part.

But yeah... O'Neill was also subjected to all sorts of stuff himself in SG-1 and I think Sheppard too. Its really not uncommon in a series to subject one of the lead characters to all sorts of torment. Heaven knows I do it all the time to my characters for my stories. Lol.

Though for Rush, I imagine its going to have some serious consequences one day for him. A person can only take so much before they give out. I just hope they dont kill him off when it does and if they do, they bring him back later like they did with Daniel Jackson. Speaking of like Jackson, Rush's goal seems to be finding a way to ascend. At least that is the reasons he gave for continuing on with his work after Gloria died. So what do you think? Will they start a storyline somewhere in the future where Rush explores a means to ascend?

Chief Master Sergeant kansaikimono's Avatar

Default Re: Nicholas Rush – Character Analysis *Spoilers up to last episode on SyFy*

Quote Originally Posted by ONeill4tW View Post
    Will they start a storyline somewhere in the future where Rush explores a means to ascend?
    Hmm. I had the impression that Rush wants to ascend but believes that he really won't be able to do so when the time comes. His character isn't exactly the ascension type, either. He's ornery and unhappy and not actively committed to seeking enlightenment. If there is a script in the future that explores Rush's interest in ascension, I'm thinking it might involve Franklin. While Franklin was in the Chair, he might have reached the same mental state that Rodney did when he was forced to seek ascension. Only, in Franklin's case, I think he merged with Destiny.

One question to ask is whether the Ascended Ancients are territorial. Did they "exist" only in our part of the galaxy? Sure, they knew the Ori, but there seemed to be a sense of "this is our space and that's Ori space." So, should we expect to find ascended beings in Destiny's arena? Or maybe Destiny is being guarded by an ascended being and hence the indirect involvement the ship seems to provide the crew from time to time - in much the same way Morgana pretended to be a hologram in Atlantis.

It could be that Rush has in the back of his mind the idea that the Ascended Ancients might be found in the vicinity of Destiny, endeavoring to complete the work they left unfinished. Isn't their rule about not interferring only in regards to human development? Out where Destiny is, maybe the rules don't apply. Or at least they didn't until the Icarus survivors showed up.

If the writers don't pursue this part of the story they've initiated, I would be disappointed. You gotta' wonder what their purpose was in bringing it up in the first place, because it wasn't addressed in "Human." But when they do bring it up, there'd better be a good explanation as to why someone, especially Rush, wants to ascend. What's to be gotten out of it, because you can't come back and help anyone you know or apparently use your infinite knowledge of the universe in any practical way. What are the perks of being ascended?

Quote Originally Posted by kansaikimono View Post
    Hmm. I had the impression that Rush wants to ascend but believes that he really won't be able to do so when the time comes. His character isn't exactly the ascension type, either. He's ornery and unhappy and not actively committed to seeking enlightenment. If there is a script in the future that explores Rush's interest in ascension, I'm thinking it might involve Franklin. While Franklin was in the Chair, he might have reached the same mental state that Rodney did when he was forced to seek ascension. Only, in Franklin's case, I think he merged with Destiny.
    I think he is committed but unlike Doctor Jackson and Rodney, he might be looking for another faster, easier or less dangerous way. From what I remember Jackson had to understand or become enlightened. Rodney simply had to will himself into the proper mental state but at a risk to himself. Both methods were slow going too.

One question to ask is whether the Ascended Ancients are territorial. Did they "exist" only in our part of the galaxy? Sure, they knew the Ori, but there seemed to be a sense of "this is our space and that's Ori space." So, should we expect to find ascended beings in Destiny's arena? Or maybe Destiny is being guarded by an ascended being and hence the indirect involvement the ship seems to provide the crew from time to time - in much the same way Morgana pretended to be a hologram in Atlantis.
    I know I mentioned this somewhere on this forum, forgot which thread, but I do believe that there is an ascended helping them out indirectly through the ship which doesn't break the rule as you stated above using Morgana as an example.

It could be that Rush has in the back of his mind the idea that the Ascended Ancients might be found in the vicinity of Destiny, endeavoring to complete the work they left unfinished. Isn't their rule about not interferring only in regards to human development? Out where Destiny is, maybe the rules don't apply. Or at least they didn't until the Icarus survivors showed up.
    The rule applies to any race I think.

I also believe that the Alterans, Lanteans and Ori are not the only ascended beings. There are others, which is even mentioned in SG-1 during the Anubis plot I think, and I would not be surprised if one went back to Destiny to finish its mission.

If the writers don't pursue this part of the story they've initiated, I would be disappointed. You gotta' wonder what their purpose was in bringing it up in the first place, because it wasn't addressed in "Human." But when they do bring it up, there'd better be a good explanation as to why someone, especially Rush, wants to ascend. What's to be gotten out of it, because you can't come back and help anyone you know or apparently use your infinite knowledge of the universe in any practical way. What are the perks of being ascended?
    I would say that Rush might be thinking that he could get Gloria back. We know the pre-ascension Alterans were capable of Jesus like powers and ascension would be the next step toward ultimate power. The Ori certainly showed an ascended could pretty much do anything. Though whether bringing back his dead wife is even possible once ascended, I don't know. I would think the Others would prevent him from bringing her back though if it was possible.

Anyway I came to this theory from what was said in the show. She was the reason why he continued with the Icarus Project after her death. So perhaps she is the reason why he wants to ascend?

So perhaps she is the reason why he wants to ascend?
    I wonder to what extent his grief and/or guilt plays a role in his desire to ascend. During the near-bedroom scene in which Mandy is demonstrating her affections for Rush, he breaks away with the explanation that his recent experience in the Chair has renewed all the emotions that he felt during and immediately after Gloria's death. And in the first episode, he's visibly upset when he looks at her photo. Yet, if he had not had the Chair sequence, would he have committed himself to Mandy for that moment?

What I'm getting at is that time helps to diminish the pain of a loved one, though you never get over it, especially if the death is of a parent, spouse, or child. Perhaps in the beginning he wanted to ascend so he could be with Gloria because he missed her so painfully. But now, what if his reasons for wanting to ascend have transformed a bit? Maybe it's his guilt for not having been there for her when she needed him and a desire to "put things right" that urge him on to seek ascension.

But if Gloria hasn't ascended, where is Rush expecting to find her? Do the Ancient Ascended exist in a non-linear time? If he succeeds in saving her, isn't this a case of the time traveler killing his grandfather? How can Rush continue a life in which he lives with Gloria, but never travels to Destiny which is where he discovers the secret to ascension which leads to saving Gloria? Or are we going to have to look at multiple time lines - which I think is the route the SG franchise has adopted. Oh, this is seriously confusing!

I don't think Rush wants to ascend, in particular, having doubted his ability already; I think he wants to explore it. Sure, I think it's something to do with Gloria but what, I don't know. Originally, when I first saw Air, I thought it had to do with time travel, you know, saving her from her illness.

Chief Master Sergeant

I think Rush originally wanted to find out about Ascension so that Gloria could ascend. It would be a way to save her -- I see that as the root cause of his obsession with the Icarus Project. He was desperately trying to save Gloria. Once she died, he buried himself back into solving it because he felt like he failed her and finishing the project - finding the answers - is all he has left.

In "human" and "sabotage" we're starting to see slow recovery from his grief, he's starting to work through it, but it's not going to be a quick or easy process.

A lot of Rush's journey is going to relate to learning how to deal with his grief and how it changed him, in finding new reasons to live and maybe even love again. IMO, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ladypredator View Post
    I think Rush originally wanted to find out about Ascension so that Gloria could ascend. It would be a way to save her -- I see that as the root cause of his obsession with the Icarus Project. He was desperately trying to save Gloria. Once she died, he buried himself back into solving it because he felt like he failed her and finishing the project - finding the answers - is all he has left.
    Yes, this was how I'd interpreted his interest in Ascension as well, especially as we know he took the project on and became obsessed with it whilst Gloria was still alive but already ill. It reminded me a bit of the film 'The Fountain' - where Hugh Jackmans character is a scientist searching for a cure for death to save his dying wife but his obsession with his work means he misses out on fully being with her in her last few months they had together, such a sad and beautiful film.

Hopefully they'll touch on this again in future epsiodes. I'd also like to see something more about who he was before her illness and death. From what 'Gloria' says to him at the end of 'Human' it seems that he himself feels it changed him significantly. Human didn't give us the real picture as the Rush reliving his time with her was a man who was already deeply wounded by losing her.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by kudra View Post
    Yes, this was how I'd interpreted his interest in Ascension as well, especially as we know he took the project on and became obsessed with it whilst Gloria was still alive but already ill. It reminded me a bit of the film 'The Fountain' - where Hugh Jackmans character is a scientist searching for a cure for death to save his dying wife but his obsession with his work means he misses out on fully being with her in her last few months they had together, such a sad and beautiful film.

Hopefully they'll touch on this again in future epsiodes. I'd also like to see something more about who he was before her illness and death. From what 'Gloria' says to him at the end of 'Human' it seems that he himself feels it changed him significantly. Human didn't give us the real picture as the Rush reliving his time with her was a man who was already deeply wounded by losing her.
    I agree completely. I've never seen that movie, but your description of it sounds exactly like what Rush went through. You can tell from his conversation with her at the end of "Human" that he's never really come to terms with his inability to prevent her death. He feels like it is his fault because he failed to find a way to save her. I thought it was beautiful that he knows she would tell him that it wasn't his fault and that he shouldn't take it out on other people, but that he's not quite ready emotionally yet to get there.

I think Rush has this anger in him towards people like Young and many of the others that has to do with them being alive while Gloria is dead. It's a completely understandable and human reaction, and I think he feels it towards himself as well. Why should he or the others be alive when the woman he loved died so senselessly and painfully? Anger is a part of grief.

i'd bet that we're going to see him move very slowly through the stages of grief recovery. You start to see hints of that in "Sabotage" with the connection he makes with Mandy. And also the connection he makes with Chloe after their abduction. They haven't done more with his relationship with Chloe yet, but I think it made more of an impact than we've yet seen.

Early on, Young accused Rush of being a coward and Rush's response was to hang his head and keep his silence. At the time, my thoughts ran along the line of, "Maybe he is, or maybe he just thinks he is - we'll find out." But his diving through the gate in the jungle, his rescue of Chloe, his willingness to help find Scott, Chloe, and Greer by traveling through multiple gates, and his immediate response to the LA situation are several examples that clearly show that Rush is not a coward.

Now recall the first episode when he's welcoming the Senator. There's an embarassing moment when he's quite the sycophant with the Senator, just before they test the 9th chevron for the first time using Eli's results. Ya' just want to cringe! It's so true that we don't know much about the pre-Destiny Rush.

We all love fleshed out characters that grow and develop as we watch a series. Rush is definitely well-rounded. But the question is, do you believe that Rush has made a conscious effort to prove Young (or himself) wrong, or is Rush's recent heroic behavior quite natural and just never had an opportunity before to show itself? What is it about his character (internal) or environment (external) that feeds so well on this type of conflict? Has the social structure of the ship made him a better or more confident person?

Chief Master Sergeant

Early on, Young accused Rush of being a coward and Rush's response was to hang his head and keep his silence. At the time, my thoughts ran along the line of, "Maybe he is, or maybe he just thinks he is - we'll find out." But his diving through the gate in the jungle, his rescue of Chloe, his willingness to help find Scott, Chloe, and Greer by traveling through multiple gates, and his immediate response to the LA situation are several examples that clearly show that Rush is not a coward.

Now recall the first episode when he's welcoming the Senator. There's an embarassing moment when he's quite the sycophant with the Senator, just before they test the 9th chevron for the first time using Eli's results. Ya' just want to cringe! It's so true that we don't know much about the pre-Destiny Rush.

We all love fleshed out characters that grow and develop as we watch a series. Rush is definitely well-rounded. But the question is, do you believe that Rush has made a conscious effort to prove Young (or himself) wrong, or is Rush's recent heroic behavior quite natural and just never had an opportunity before to show itself? What is it about his character (internal) or environment (external) that feeds so well on this type of conflict? Has the social structure of the ship made him a better or more confident person?
    Part of it is a response to the trauma and exigencies of the situation he's in, but I think the real answer is found in his conversation with Gloria at the end of "Human" - when she tells him he's not the man she loved and he says that that man died with her and she chides him for it. I think the Rush we see early on is a man so torn up by grief and pain that he's shut himself off from the world, become 'callous' as Gloria says, but as time and circumstances go on, he's put in a situation where he has to act and make some connections in order to survive and he's slowly starting to recover himself. And don't forget that even as early as "Darkness" he's willing to take his name out of the lottery and die with Destiny. He was telling Young the truth when he said that he felt that being on Destiny was his personal destiny.

He is becoming stronger person because he's being tested in extremely traumatic ways, but I think a lot of what we're seeing is the real Nicholas Rush - the man Gloria and Mandy both love(d).

Speaking of "Human" am I the only one that feels that there was an outside force helping him discover the clue? The "dream" seemed more like there was something helping him and not his subconsciousness producing the events that would lead up to him discovering the clue like some dreams tend to do.

Speaking of "Human" am I the only one that feels that there was an outside force helping him discover the clue? The "dream" seemed more like there was something helping him and not his subconsciousness producing the events that would lead up to him discovering the clue like some dreams tend to do.
    I want to agree that something selected that moment in his life to explore. It's the kind of life experience that any one of us might return to if we felt troubled and wanted to look inward for answers. Yet, it doesn't seem likely that Rush, with all that was happening aboard Destiny, was in any frame of mind to go self-exploring.

It's as though someone is troubled by Rush's behavior and wants to remind him of who he really is. If we're to believe that Rush, in reality, was not at Gloria's bedside when she died, then the dream sequence is what he wanted and needed for closure. If he wasn't at her bedside, it's likely he wasn't at her funeral, either.

Review the transcript of the death scene. The first time or two you hear it, it moves too fast to really sink in. But there are significant lines that give us some real insight into Rush. I'm not sure if they are the kind of ideas that Rush would have realized for himself if someone, or something, hadn't guided him in that direction, but Gloria tells him he is the one who chose the memory.

Another question is whether Rush had already figured out, subconsciously, that the DNA strand was the key to the code.

Perhaps the dream sequence is killing more than one bird: the key to the code, Rush's change in behavior, Rush's guilt, etc. Perhaps it's also a clue to the real reason Rush is so desperate to explore the innermost workings of Destiny in hopes of finding some Ascension clues, though I don't know why Destiny would provide them since she was built pre-Ascension.

Here's the deathbed scene:

GLORIA (quietly): You're not here for me.

RUSH: I've already been through this.

GLORIA: No you haven't. You were running.

RUSH: I was here.

GLORIA: You can't lie to yourself.

GLORIA: You chose this memory because it's one you'd rather just forget.

GLORIA: What you need is here now. That's why you're here. It's not for me. You just want your answer.

RUSH: I need an answer.

GLORIA (in a whisper): You're dying.

RUSH (looking down again): I know.

GLORIA: You'd rather die than fail? What have you become, Nicholas? The things you've done - it's not who you are; it's not you.

RUSH: I always had it in me ... to make the hard decisions. I have reasons ... good reasons.

GLORIA: To hurt people? Are you sure? You tell yourself my death gave you courage. In truth, it made you callous. You're not the man I loved.

RUSH (quietly, anguished): He died with you.

GLORIA: I was never your conscience, Nicholas. You still have one of your own. You just need to listen to it. Some people live their whole lives and never find what we had.

GLORIA (softly): Don't let what happened to me change you this way. It's nobody's fault.

RUSH (softly, tearfully): I know. I know that.

GLORIA: It's one stupid gene passed on to me by my mother, incapable of performing its one simple function - to repair damaged D.N.A.

GLORIA: That's it, isn't it? That's why you're here.

RUSH (in a whisper): Of course!

GLORIA: Go.

GLORIA: I know how much you loved me. (She fights back her own tears.) Stop taking it out on everyone else.

RUSH (tearfully): I haven't forgotten you, Gloria. I never will.

I had that impression also shortly, but thought it was maybe overinterpretet. If it is, I think we'll see of this again.

If we're to believe that Rush, in reality, was not at Gloria's bedside when she died, then the dream sequence is what he wanted and needed for closure. If he wasn't at her bedside, it's likely he wasn't at her funeral, either.

Review the transcript of the death scene. The first time or two you hear it, it moves too fast to really sink in. But there are significant lines that give us some real insight into Rush. I'm not sure if they are the kind of ideas that Rush would have realized for himself if someone, or something, hadn't guided him in that direction, but Gloria tells him he is the one who chose the memory.

Another question is whether Rush had already figured out, subconsciously, that the DNA strand was the key to the code.

Perhaps the dream sequence is killing more than one bird: the key to the code, Rush's change in behavior, Rush's guilt, etc. Perhaps it's also a clue to the real reason Rush is so desperate to explore the innermost workings of Destiny in hopes of finding some Ascension clues, though I don't know why Destiny would provide them since she was built pre-Ascension.
    I didn't understand the words spoken between Rush and his wife in that way. I understood he was there at that very momment, but didn't spent much time with her the time before. Am I wrong?

All the small pieces make it more likely that the above mentioned thought was maybe not an overinterpretation, but a somebody who guided the whole situation. But the most important thing is that Rush's behaviour changed remakable after the chair, and clearly not as a result of interaction or some insight that he might have things messed up too much with Young, as I remember to read somewhere in the forum. Rush changed, but not because of Young.

Time to reactivate this thread again.

But first I want to sum up a few things from the second part of season 1.

(1) Rush was surly another person before his wife died, this is after "Human" indicated with the introduction of Amanda Perry in "Sabotage", another scientist, he worked with, back on earth. He behaves completely different the time she's around, than everything we've seen before. I guess what I've seen here, is the person a woman like Gloria would marry, much more likely than the grief-stricken, and on the surface callous man he's since "Air".

It looks like a lot of his behavior can be explained as a direct result of the fact that he never really handled the dead of his wife in an appropriate way.

(2) I wondered why he didn't show more impact of the alien abduction, like Chloe did after "Space". In "Pain" it was clear, that there was an impact, and that he's deeply afraid of those aliens, and what they've done to him.

In the same way he repressed the grief about his wife, he repressed the effects of what the aliens did to him, up to the point he has to face it again.
    Spoiler:
    And I'm not sure whether the whole question is off the table. This seems to indicate the season 2.0 trailer.

(3) The last episodes of season 1 "Subversion", and Incursion I-II, and the first episode of season 2 "Intervention", he's most likely the first time personally confronted with torture, after he is captured from the LA, while trying to play detective, which was, imo, quite silly for somebody who's normally quite intelligent.

And now what we've seen in "Aftermath" is unavoidable the aftereffect of that torture, he's again, and not surprisingly, not able to handle alone.

I think that this episode is called "Aftermath" for some reasons. One of this reasons seems to be the last point (3) I mentioned.

Everything which happened in this episode is a direct result of his misreading the data Destiny gave him about the planet, because he's too tiered to give full attention to the informations he has in front of him. Therefore the crew not only lost a beloved member (), but also the last shuttle they had at this point, not to mention the effects all of this will have for future episodes.

One could think, ok, that's Rush, he's simply back to his old self. All of this could have avoided, if he had said that he's found the bridge. He should have report that to Young.

Yes, he should have, I think, it was clearly a mistake not to do so. But one of the reasons he maybe didn't tell anyone, or at least not Young, could be that he felt betrayed from him. From Rush's point of view Young had the chance to disconnect the stones in time, so that all of this could have been avoided, including the LA boarding Destiny, but he didn't do for some reasons he don't know exactly, or in fact he didn't believe in (breaking Telford's brainwashing).

Artemis: nice round up.

Did you also have the impression that Rush was feeling more and more unconfortable when Young asked him repeatedly during the episode "Where have YOU been?". I have the impression that Young starts to think that Rush is hiding something. Rush must have realized this distrust.

Quote Originally Posted by mi_guard View Post
    Artemis: nice round up.

Did you also have the impression that Rush was feeling more and more unconfortable when Young asked him repeatedly during the episode "Where have YOU been?". I have the impression that Young starts to think that Rush is hiding something. Rush must have realized this distrust.
    I think you're right. Young is not an idiot, and Rush know this.

I agree, Young seems to suspect something.
    I think at the end of the ep Rush realizes that his decisions can lead to harm or even death for other people. This process started when he had to decide how to deal wit the LA in 'Intervention'. 'A necessary sacrifice' is easy to say, but then he realizes that this would affect people he knows and maybe likes a little bit. I think up to this point he was more a scientist doing calculations and theoretical things and now there are people affected by the result of his calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cairistiona View Post
    I agree, Young seems to suspect something.
    I think at the end of the ep Rush realizes that his decisions can lead to harm or even death for other people. This process started when he had to decide how to deal wit the LA in 'Intervention'. 'A necessary sacrifice' is easy to say, but then he realizes that this would affect people he knows and maybe likes a little bit. I think up to this point he was more a scientist doing calculations and theoretical things and now there are people affected by the result of his calculations.
    Yes I'd agree, I don't think he'll easily brush off his mistake in Aftermath. I can't really defend the hiding the bridge thing but I do think his misreading of the data and descision to take a gamble on the planet was more down to exhaustion and desperation over the food situation than a callous disregard for the lives of the crew. His relief when he thought they had made it through safely was very clear and I don't think it was only the shuttle he was concerned about.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with him in Season 2, will he form greater and greater attachments to the crew as time goes on and so be less able to make the hard choices for the 'greater good'? Or will he be ostracised once they figure out he cracked the code and kept it secret and become more of an outright antagonist? Personally I hope they don't go too far one way or the other as I love how well RC plays the contradictions within Rush. Of course given the fact he's started talking to dead people maybe they'll take him the crazy route, I must admit part of me hopes Gloria and Franklin are just hallucinations because watching RC playing Rush go all 'Beautiful Mind' would be fun.

Here a comment by Robert Carlyle about Rush on what happened in ep 2:

http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/2460/index.html

ps. this time I had more difficulties understanding parts of what he says due to his accent

Quote Originally Posted by mi_guard View Post
    Here a comment by Robert Carlyle about Rush on what happened in ep 2:

http://stargate.mgm.com/view/content/2460/index.html

ps. this time I had more difficulties understanding parts of what he says due to his accent
    Same here. What did he say in the very last sentence? I really tried hard to get it but failed more than once.