Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The writing of Pain and Life

He wrote Life and Pain wich are bolth bad recieved from public. Also Life lost 500k viewers and if Pain lose, let's say 200k viewers is SGU very close to death.

Default Re: What's with Carl Binder

Quote Originally Posted by Nikec3 View Post
    He wrote Life and Pain wich are bolth bad recieved from public. Also Life lost 500k viewers and if Pain lose, let's say 200k viewers is SGU very close to death.
    I enjoyed Life, and I loved Pain.

And considering SGU has already been renewed for a 20-episode season 2, the "close to death" comment is pretty laughable.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Quote Originally Posted by DigiFluid View Post

And considering SGU has already been renewed for a 20-episode season 2, the "close to death" comment is pretty laughable.
    Yes, but if season finale gets only 1.5 million viewers I'll say SGu is pretty close to be canceled in season 2.

Second Lieutenant

I didn't really like "Life" but "Pain", imho, was one of best stories done with this kind of plot... hallucinations and stuff. I've seen worse on Stargate and Trek...

I liked Pain to, but I'm just saying that bolth episodes are bad recieved from general public and I'm concerned how will this effect on ratings.

Second Lieutenant

I liked Pain to, but I'm just saying that bolth episodes are bad recieved from general public and I'm concerned how will this effect on ratings.
    I don't think "'Pain'' is badly received from the public, more like the episode is misunderstood- people don't like it because:
    1) it reveals the fact that there will be no smurf invasion of Destiny in reality
    2) they though the ep. will be about what causes the hallucinations (Atlantis style), not about halucinations themselves
    3) they think "Pain" was worse than "Sabotage" and I don't think people who say that are majority (no offense to those people, but if they were majority, SGU ratings would be much much better...)

Lieutenant General Pharaoh Atem's Avatar

IMo he's either given the crappy eps to write or he just can't write the sgu style

Second Lieutenant

I always thought that Mr Binder was one of the weaker staff writers on the franchise.

On the Destiny, preparing to propose to TJ.

Are you guys kidding. Pain and Water were two of the best eps yet. Guess it's just personal opinion lol.

Also writers often write others stories. So it could be that brad or rob pitches a bad story and then the writer gets all the blame. That's not fair cause the whole staff will break the story as a whole.

Yes, but if season finale gets only 1.5 million viewers I'll say SGu is pretty close to be canceled in season 2.
    Not necessarily. That is making a HUGE assumption with little or no proof to back it up. After all, Sanctuary and Caprica both dipped FAR below that and were renewed with those ratings.

Also, it's generally slightly deceptive to assume that lower ratings = poorly received. Ratings tend to be a little more complicated then that. Perhaps you should check out the ratings thread to see the scope.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Deevil View Post
    After all, Sanctuary and Caprica both dipped FAR below that and were renewed with those ratings.
    Caprica hasn't been renewed yet.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I'll give you Life. However, Pain was very good, imo. Not the top 5 eps of the season, but still in the better half, imo.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

Quote Originally Posted by major davis View Post
    You hate it that much. You realize, if SGU dies this young, the franchise will probably die(at least go dark) for a while. SGU is the key to Stargates survival. Really. If SGU is successful, we might even get a 4th series, and maybe some stargate movies. If SGU dies, well, bye bye stargate. This news should not make you warm and fuzzy.
    well i say let it as i dont like what they are doing to the franchiese so yes id rather see it dead then see more sgu.

Caprica hasn't been renewed yet.
    i read that caprica had been canceld....

Nope. No news as to its future has been announced as of yet.
    It's not looking good for Caprica.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

Quote Originally Posted by Briangate78 View Post
    It's not looking good for Caprica.
    I wasn't commenting one way or another. One of them said it had been renewed, the other said it had been cancelled. At the moment, both are wrong

Colonel

Pain was the worst episode of the season IMO, while I enjoyed Life. I'm not sure I'd go as far as to say that Carl can't write good episodes any more, but if that were the case, I'd like to think he'd be let go, rather than keep him around because he's one of the guys.

On a side note, I doubt Caprica will be cancelled, they have nothing to replace it with.

Life wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, and Pain was great. Tv ratings are down across the board, so it's not like SGU really getting that bad of ratings. Besides without Stargate, there probably wouldn't be a SciFi channel right now (not going to call it its new name) so I think as long as it doesn't start getting sub 1.0 ratings, SGU is pretty safe.

I liked the episode overall.

I think it would have been cool IF a couple smurfs did come through the gates.

Then everyone would have been like, Rush you were hallucinating.

Then they could mess with stuff, track them, or attack.

Second Lieutenant

After actually seeing the episode, I've come to the conclusion that the episode isn't half bad. I can see what Binder was trying to do, with the cabin fever-turned-infestation, but there were just too many loose threads in this tapestry for it all to make a clear picture.

Pain was better than Life, imo, but too jumbled/half developed for it to be worth more than 2/5

Chief Master Sergeant ProclarushTaonasAt's Avatar

Nah, I liked Pain. Seeing Rush terrified was gold.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast