X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defiance

Hi All,

I am new at this forum and I hope this has not been discussed elsewhere - at least I have not found it. It bothers me for some time: what is it about defiance that the Wraith love so much?

In Condemned (season 2) the Wraith states " the taste of their defiance is sweet" and in Vegas (season 5) Todd even ponders "defiance tastes like Life itself". Coming from a Wraith it sounds as if "defiance" is as good as the Gift of Life. A kind of energy? And is it just me or were the Wraith Queens really surprisingly fond of Sheppard NOT submitting to the their mental powers?

So: What is defiance?

Originally posted by Freawaru View Post
    Hi All,

I am new at this forum and I hope this has not been discussed elsewhere - at least I have not found it. It bothers me for some time: what is it about defiance that the Wraith love so much?

In Condemned (season 2) the Wraith states " the taste of their defiance is sweet" and in Vegas (season 5) Todd even ponders "defiance tastes like Life itself". Coming from a Wraith it sounds as if "defiance" is as good as the Gift of Life. A kind of energy? And is it just me or were the Wraith Queens really surprisingly fond of Sheppard NOT submitting to the their mental powers?

i imagine that most of the humans they have fed on for the past 10,000 years have been weak-willed, while we having been free from enslavement and wrarith attack are stronger. think of it like eating rice for 10,000 years and then suddenly having the thickest juciest steak ever....sure would be better

Comment

Hi All,

I think the Wraith like their prey to defy them, as this possibly creates a greater life force as a result of their defience.
      The will to live and the actions involved would create energies, that would enhance the lifeforce. Not sure if I explained what I am saying correctly, but I hope you get the jist.

Comment

I think they get extra satisfaction from feeding on a human who has defied them. Maybe it makes the feeding process more savory.
        sigpic

Comment

Thank you for your answers.

If I understand you correctly it means that a Wraith would get more energy from a human of Earth than from a human of the Pegasus galaxy. Sounds plausible to me.

I think this would explain why Todd was able to fool the Genii in "Common Ground". I mean, it seemed to me that he was getting much more strength by feeding on Sheppard than he wanted to let them know. He seemed still very week when they led him back to the prison than later when he talked with Sheppard and fought with the Genii soldiers. On the other hand the Genii seemed to have quite some knowledge on how Todd fed and how much strength he gained from it so it would explain the discrepancy. They didn't expect him to be strong enough to try an escape.

Any idea on a quantitative way to count the difference. I mean, do humans of Earth have about twice as many "years" as those of the Pegasus galaxy? Or something like that?

Comment

Thank you for your answers.

If I understand you correctly it means that a Wraith would get more energy from a human of Earth than from a human of the Pegasus galaxy. Sounds plausible to me.

I think this would explain why Todd was able to fool the Genii in "Common Ground". I mean, it seemed to me that he was getting much more strength by feeding on Sheppard than he wanted to let them know. He seemed still very week when they led him back to the prison than later when he talked with Sheppard and fought with the Genii soldiers. On the other hand the Genii seemed to have quite some knowledge on how Todd fed and how much strength he gained from it so it would explain the discrepancy. They didn't expect him to be strong enough to try an escape.

Any idea on a quantitative way to count the difference. I mean, do humans of Earth have about twice as many "years" as those of the Pegasus galaxy? Or something like that?
            mental states can affect physical states..perhaps being more comfortable and having a feeling of security makes us tastier

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
              mental states can affect physical states..perhaps being more comfortable and having a feeling of security makes us tastier
              Yes, I agree that this is possible. But somehow Sheppard does not seem to fit that description. Daniel Jackson, yes, he feels comfortable and secure within himself - but Sheppard? Think of Remnants (season 5). And according to Common Ground Sheppard was the strongest person Todd ever fed on - and this likely included the Ancients. Also, though we don't have the Wraith to fear Earth in general isn't the most secure and comfortable place to live in the first place.

The reason I speculate here is that if people of Earth would have indeed more energy (for whatever reason) there might be another way to peace with the Wraith. I mean, the Wraith have a lot to share, such as healing. If it was either sure death by an illness such as cancer or giving some of one's years to a Wraith for healing I assume most would choose the second option. Which leads back to the question of how much more energy humans of Earth have. It wouldn't make sense to have one's illness cured but be as old as Sheppard was for that short time in Common Ground.

Comment

Yes, I agree that this is possible. But somehow Sheppard does not seem to fit that description. Daniel Jackson, yes, he feels comfortable and secure within himself - but Sheppard? Think of Remnants (season 5). And according to Common Ground Sheppard was the strongest person Todd ever fed on - and this likely included the Ancients. Also, though we don't have the Wraith to fear Earth in general isn't the most secure and comfortable place to live in the first place.

The reason I speculate here is that if people of Earth would have indeed more energy (for whatever reason) there might be another way to peace with the Wraith. I mean, the Wraith have a lot to share, such as healing. If it was either sure death by an illness such as cancer or giving some of one's years to a Wraith for healing I assume most would choose the second option. Which leads back to the question of how much more energy humans of Earth have. It wouldn't make sense to have one's illness cured but be as old as Sheppard was for that short time in Common Ground.
                more so than anythign the wraith have eaten in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                X