Camille Wray - Character Analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post
    I fail to see how the IOA can put pressure on her. She's half a universe away from any direct influence, with no certain way of getting home, with nothing in her job worth returning to i.e. she's suck in middle management (from all indications, prior to getting stuck across the universe). The only thing the IOA could do to get Wray to do anything is to blackmail her, using Sharon as leverage.
    IMO, seizing power on Destiny is her only opportunity to get anywhere in her career, and she would have done it eventually, with or without the IOA's blessing.
    Not so. You're right in that she was stuck in middle-management and not going anywhere, but the IOA dude gave her plenty of incentive in "Life", suggesting that there was substantial rewards in it for her if she was able to get the ship home. Imagine how her star would soar if she were the one in charge when Destiny comes out of FTL/Supergate/Spatial anomoly back in the Milky Way.

She's out for personal gain and nothing but; however, Pain may have given her something to think about: consequences to her actions. As far as we know, both Rush and Wray got off relativly lightly for staging their coup, but this last episode may drive home that there are some people who aren't as willing as Young to just let that slide...
    sigpic
    http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
      Not so. You're right in that she was stuck in middle-management and not going anywhere, but the IOA dude gave her plenty of incentive in "Life", suggesting that there was substantial rewards in it for her if she was able to get the ship home. Imagine how her star would soar if she were the one in charge when Destiny comes out of FTL/Supergate/Spatial anomoly back in the Milky Way.

She's out for personal gain and nothing but; however, Pain may have given her something to think about: consequences to her actions. As far as we know, both Rush and Wray got off relativly lightly for staging their coup, but this last episode may drive home that there are some people who aren't as willing as Young to just let that slide...
      I don't dispute that she'll be richly rewarded if she happens to be in charge when/if Destiny gets home. But that isn't my point. Rewards as an incentive can only work if the goal is actually practically attainable, whereas blackmail is a win-win for the blackmailer.

We, as the audience, know that they'll find a way home sooner or later, but her character has no such guarantees of success, especially when there are so many variables that are out of her control. All the characters have accepted that they may never get home, and to an extent, external influences don't matter as much.

Wray may take a "reward as incentive" opportunity at a later point when getting home seems somewhat practical and results are more important than being showy, but until there is more than some far off hope/wish/dream, that scenario doesn't fly for me. Until that point, I stand by my "blackmail as the only practical motivator" against her, but that she would have pursued power of her own will anyway.

Comment

and now to be running around demanding answers from Young on matters that he said are strictly military is ridiculous
        yes, young should have informed Wray what Rush was doing

but Wray had no business asking, nor any right to know, what was going on between Young and Telford

she should understand that
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Wray is the most annoying character on the series thus far. She doesnt seem to have any real purpose on board Destiny and the whole lesbian lover storyline played out on Earth via the stones has been the most soporific storyline that the writers have come up. If they decided to kill her off somehow then I for one wouldnt be bothered.
          Bless the Maker and all His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shai Hulud View Post
            Wray is the most annoying character on the series thus far. She doesnt seem to have any real purpose on board Destiny and the whole lesbian lover storyline played out on Earth via the stones has been the most soporific storyline that the writers have come up. If they decided to kill her off somehow then I for one wouldnt be bothered.
            i find her highly annoying
            but i do not agree that she does not have any real purpose
            her purpose is to be in charge of the civilians.....

the problem is, she thinks that that includes military personnel

she's annoying as hell

but also interesting

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
              but Wray had no business asking, nor any right to know, what was going on between Young and Telford

she should understand that
              Wray had no idea what was going on, until Scott finally told her. Plus she was concerned because of Rush's life. In my opinion, Wray didn't do anything wrong.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                Wray had no idea what was going on, until Scott finally told her. Plus she was concerned because of Rush's life. In my opinion, Wray didn't do anything wrong.
                now we're getting somewhere........ there is the moral dilemma of: yes, you are interrogating Telford, and yes he is experiencing all of the difficulty of the interrogation........ however... it is Rush's body that is being hammered... is that fair to Rush?

my thoughts: no, not really

and to be honest, i think O'Neill should have interrogated Telford on earth... i didn't not see any logical reason why Young should have been the one to interrogate Telford... other than that it was of convenience....

Comment

Originally posted by IrishPisano View Post
                  now we're getting somewhere........ there is the moral dilemma of: yes, you are interrogating Telford, and yes he is experiencing all of the difficulty of the interrogation........ however... it is Rush's body that is being hammered... is that fair to Rush?

my thoughts: no, not really

and to be honest, i think O'Neill should have interrogated Telford on earth... i didn't not see any logical reason why Young should have been the one to interrogate Telford... other than that it was of convenience....
                  Rush's body (now Telford) is only available on the Destiny to be interrogated. Telford's body (now Rush) WAS on Earth, but due to jamming, they couldn't take him or the LA, so there's not an opportunity to do anything with Telford's body, as it's gone. There's only one place anyone could interview or interrogate Telford, and that's on the Destiny.
                  sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

i get why it kind of makes sense in the show.... but i think Young could have and should have communicated to Earth sooner....... you know, like maybe he be the one who transfers into Telford's body, walk into O'Neill's office, explain the situation, then, once Telford's body is in a holding cell, sever the LRC connection...

there was not any logical reason why this could not be done...... it was a contrived situation to bring the LA into the storyline....

Comment

I don't think Wray was in the wrong at all. She is the IOA rep and I see the IOA institution on various missions (like Icarus base for example) as being like a Labour Union type system whereby the rep is there to ensure that agreed procedures are followed, that laws are not breached and that fairness prevails for all.

I would suggest that it was her moral duty as well as her duty as an IOA rep to intervene or attempt to in the interrogation of Rush/Telford. While yes they were torturing Telford... it was Rush's body they were harming.

As for Jack torturing Telford back on Earth; that is quite illegal.

Going back to points earlier about civilian oversight and how Wray is attempting to circumvent Youngs and therefore the Presidents authority... that is not the way Homeworld Command works these days! It answers to the IOA, not the President of the United States. Icarus Base, the SGC, Atlantis, our Battle Cruisers... all ultimately answer to the IOA which is representative of all the countries who are active stakeholders in Homeworld Command.The IOA Rep in each area of Homeworld Command is the personification of this organisation. She in my opinion being the IOA rep is right to exhurt her influence over the Military in certain situations. (while I don't agree that the coup was right - I can see why she did what she did).
                      Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground. - Roosevelt

sigpic

Comment

1. i said interrogate Telford on earth, not torture

2. just bc HWC answers to the IOA (which i didn't think they did) does not mean that every stargate base, team, or personnel must answer to an IOA member....

3. the interrogation of Telford was none of Wray's business because it was rightfully, as young said, a military matter.... Wray just can't handle not being in control of any situation........ however, she would have had a case for interventnion had she mentioned that young was beating up on Rush's body which, technically, is hers to protect

Comment

Telford could be rendered to another country for advanced interrogation techniques that are illegal in the USA.

Secondly, there is no use for Wray other than to be a protagonist. However, she is a poor leader and only serves to be disruptive.

I'm not so certain her concern for Rush was genuine.

Comment

SURRENDER ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

surrender when there are still options on the table to overtake them with minimal casualties?

i would confine her to quarters for the duration of the mission onboard Destiny for that comment.........

Comment

Working...
                            X