Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Cloned Body?

Staff Sergeant

Default Re: A Cloned Body?

Somehow with all the Goa'uld that we have defeated we've never managed to get our hands on a sarcophagus. That always struck me as a plothole. However, I understand that it would cause major problems for the show if they could cure death just like that.

I'm surprised that even with alien tech available at the SGC, they haven't been able to help Amanda. Perhaps
    Spoiler:
    she really should join the Lucian Alliance and get a sarcophagus from them.

Lieutenant Colonel Eternal Density's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jsonitsac View Post
    ...the disability movement...
    I'm a horrible person for seeing a pun here.
    "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
    Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Whitt Remastered View Post
    Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
    Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Somehow with all the Goa'uld that we have defeated we've never managed to get our hands on a sarcophagus. That always struck me as a plothole. However, I understand that it would cause major problems for the show if they could cure death just like that.

I'm surprised that even with alien tech available at the SGC, they haven't been able to help Amanda. Perhaps
    Spoiler:
    she really should join the Lucian Alliance and get a sarcophagus from them.
    Considering the side effects of sarcophagus use SG-1 found pretty early on, I doubt the SGC would make sarcophagus research a priority.

Maybe Tau'ri medical technology has lagged behind other fields. Keep in mind the focus was on getting technologies to defend Earth, so we wound up with ships, weapons, energy generation, etc. The Sarcophagus has very negative side effects, the Tel'chak device creates zombies, and those Goa'uld hand healing devices can only be used by a host/somebody who joined with a goa'uld or tok'ra (more or less limiting it to Vala or Carter).

Sam’s Uneven Parallel Bars

Quote Originally Posted by jsonitsac View Post
    Maybe Tau'ri medical technology has lagged behind other fields. Keep in mind the focus was on getting technologies to defend Earth, so we wound up with ships, weapons, energy generation, etc. The Sarcophagus has very negative side effects, the Tel'chak device creates zombies, and those Goa'uld hand healing devices can only be used by a host/somebody who joined with a goa'uld or tok'ra (more or less limiting it to Vala or Carter).
    The Sarcophagus has very negative side effects when used multiple times over a short time period. Daniel Jackson used the sarcophagus in the Serpent's Lair. It didn't make him into a megalomaniac then. Only when he overused it in Need did he start becoming rather self-absorbed.

Second Lieutenant

face it, you are arguing over a plot hole

its clear the tech exists, its just not used in the show because it would be too easy and take away from all sorts of stories

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Astrofighter View Post
    face it, you are arguing over a plot hole

its clear the tech exists, its just not used in the show because it would be too easy and take away from all sorts of stories
    I wish people would learn their terminology. The word is continuity error and even that is a stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Staff Sergeant

Daniel Jackson used the sarcophagus in the Serpent's Lair.
    And it wasn't even his first time. He also used it in the movie. Not to mention all those times O'Neill was put in it in Abyss and it didn't seem to have made him crazier. Yes, the side effects are there but we have seen proof that the sarcophagus takes a lot of time and repeated use to corrupt someone. Perry would be put just once.

I believe that sarcophagi should have been addressed after the fall of the Goa'uld and some explanation should be cooked up as to why we can't get one or even have an episode where we do get one and there's a huge issue regarding non-disclosure to use it.

Lieutenant Colonel

i doubt a sarcophagi would work, all info points to them causing the body to regenerate in the same way it normally would but much quicker, as an affect it would revive a dead person

if sarcophagi can heal her then that means that they could also bring someone who has been dead for 20 years back to life in pristine condition...

I think the Asgard cloning technology is a better solution. Asgard could life over an eon using cloned body. The only disadvantage is cannot reproduce. It would be sufficient enough for Perry getting out of disabilities. But there is side issue has yet known to us such as we never saw an Asgard using the communication stone. Would they able successfully switch their consciousness and back again to their cloned body?

Still, getting Perry permanently transfer to Destiny is like already found the solution getting people on Destiny back home.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    And it wasn't even his first time. He also used it in the movie. Not to mention all those times O'Neill was put in it in Abyss and it didn't seem to have made him crazier. Yes, the side effects are there but we have seen proof that the sarcophagus takes a lot of time and repeated use to corrupt someone. Perry would be put just once.

I believe that sarcophagi should have been addressed after the fall of the Goa'uld and some explanation should be cooked up as to why we can't get one or even have an episode where we do get one and there's a huge issue regarding non-disclosure to use it.
    IIRC wasn't it explained that repeated use when there is little need for it, is what corrupts. So daniel using it all the time in Need, when he has no injuries to warrant it's use is corrupted, while Jack who is constantly killed and resurrected is not corrupted as much.

First Lieutenant

Exclamation Re: A Cloned Body?

Quote Originally Posted by pipi View Post
    I don't know where you get your statistical data from but since I enjoy a good root, and ability to take a shower and clean myself, I would have to be insane to not have my quadraplegic cured.

Agreed and I think that we have to differentiate between somebody that is deaf or even blind or somebody that just cannot walk but can otherwise use his or her arms instead or alternatively those that have lost their arms and use their legs for everything instead and those that cannot move a muscle on their own known as quadriplegics. I doubt you will find a quadriplegic that loves not being able to do anything on his on her own at all.
    The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by jelgate View Post
    I wish people would learn their terminology. The word is continuity error and even that is a stretch.
    How so? If you want to be more precise about it. In reality its a cannon hole, which is to say cannon is the overall story and "plot" of the the show, therefore a hole in pre-established plot is a hole. A continuity error would be something like a character walks out of a room with a shovel then in the next scene has no shovel, then in the scene after that magically has the shovel again...

Chief Master Sergeant

If a symbiote could cure whatever disease Adrian(?) had, I have to imagine it could cure the neurological damage that put Perry in her chair. Or a sarcophagus. Or a hand device. Or technology from the Asgard database. Or send her to the Nox. Or send her to Kheb. Or impregnate her skeleton with nanoscopic Replicator cells a la Wolverine to restore her mobility. Who knows.

Maybe the SGC just has a policy about "no miracle cures" for civvies, and they never told her about the healing technology they possess. How exactly would she explain that to her civilian doctors, or her friends and family? She just...got better?

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    If a symbiote could cure whatever disease Adrian(?) had, I have to imagine it could cure the neurological damage that put Perry in her chair. Or a sarcophagus. Or a hand device. Or technology from the Asgard database. Or send her to the Nox. Or send her to Kheb. Or impregnate her skeleton with nanoscopic Replicator cells a la Wolverine to restore her mobility. Who knows.

Maybe the SGC just has a policy about "no miracle cures" for civvies, and they never told her about the healing technology they possess. How exactly would she explain that to her civilian doctors, or her friends and family? She just...got better?
    a lot of her problems would stem from nerve damage in her spine, not neurological, so i doubt a symbiote can help, why would they even try.

Quote Originally Posted by droid327 View Post
    Probably. Perry is still able to perform her duties while in a wheel chair. Like all lazy employers, why give out a bonus if you don't have to. If Perry wanted to retire permanently for medical reasons then I'm sure if the SGC valued her talent they would offer to cure her provided she signs on for another 10 years or whatever.

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Astrofighter View Post
    How so? If you want to be more precise about it. In reality its a cannon hole, which is to say cannon is the overall story and "plot" of the the show, therefore a hole in pre-established plot is a hole. A continuity error would be something like a character walks out of a room with a shovel then in the next scene has no shovel, then in the scene after that magically has the shovel again...
    A plot hole refers to a gap of how something happens in a single story. The original is talking about contradicting established cannon which is past continuity
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

So we can travel half the universe with a wormhole, but we cant cure this crippled broad? I'm not buying it. I am starting to agree with Sen Kinsey, all this money into a stargate program that is supposed to yield new tech and they cant heal one cripple? BS

First Lieutenant

Chevron Re: A Cloned Body?

Quote Originally Posted by gildor23 View Post
    So we can travel half the universe with a wormhole, but we cant cure this crippled broad? I'm not buying it. I am starting to agree with Sen Kinsey, all this money into a stargate program that is supposed to yield new tech and they cant heal one cripple? BS
    Most of the new tech is destined to weapons programs for planetary defense against hostile aliens and so on. The only ones able to heal her rather extreme condition in the Stargate universe would be a prior, the Orici or an ascended being.
    The world hath known no greater love than this, to give one's life for his friends. John 15:34

The banning of images in SIGs suck.

So what about the sarcophagus? Also the ENTIRE repository of Asgard knowledge? No I dont think the Asgard learned how to repair spinal injuries. If the writers used the new tech to heal instead of hurt it would be better for the show than each new tech constantly changing the balance of power. They could introduce new healing tech each week and it wouldn't really effect the show that much in regards to the power struggle withthe bad guys.