No announcement yet.

A Cloned Body?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's also possible that she may not want to be cured. Many people with disabilities tend to see the disability as an important part of who they are. While many disabled people accept tools to help them function in society one of their key beliefs is that the disability makes them who they are and feel that if they could be turned into an able bodied person they would lose a signifgant part of their identity. Now granted, much of this may also have to do with the fact that we don't quite have the technology to cure spinal cord injuries.

For Perry the trip to Destiny may have been a nice escape, but she may not have wanted to live there forever.

Originally posted by escyos View Post
    1. tretonin doesnt work like a symbiote, its just a means to build internal immunities. that is all it does, nothing more
    2. A tok'ra (or other symbiote) would not be able to heal such a thing, we have seen how severe lymphoma was difficult for a tok'ra to cure, Selmak had to rest for a few hours before even being moved. They simple canno heal such an affliction
    3. A tok'ra wouldnt even try, it would be suicide. They would prefer healthy hosts...as would goa'uld
    An illness confined Adrian Conrad to a wheelchair and after he was taken as a host was able to walk like an able bodied person.
    Last edited by jsonitsac; 09 May 2010, 05:06 PM. Reason: details

Comment

Originally posted by escyos View Post
      1. tretonin doesnt work like a symbiote, its just a means to build internal immunities. that is all it does, nothing more
      2. A tok'ra (or other symbiote) would not be able to heal such a thing, we have seen how severe lymphoma was difficult for a tok'ra to cure, Selmak had to rest for a few hours before even being moved. They simple canno heal such an affliction
      3. A tok'ra wouldnt even try, it would be suicide. They would prefer healthy hosts...as would goa'uld
      If that is all it does then how is teal'c still alive? he has been using it for 50 years and all he has to show for is a streak of white hair, if all it did was work on his immune system he would be old and weak by now

also the tokra said they deal with cancer all the time in their hosts, the reason why it took selmak so long was because it was fighting to keep its old host alive up to the point it got with jacob and was exhausted to begin with

its all mute though, think about it how many ships to the free jaffa have now? a lot and of those ships you think zero have a sarcophagus...if the tauri wanted one they could get one, then all they would have to do is say "one time use only" no one uses it multiple times in a short time span and bam no negative effects why dont they ? its a tv show they want to have more stories to tell and not have all disease and injury taken away from writing

Comment

Originally posted by jsonitsac View Post
        It's also possible that she may not want to be cured. Many people with disabilities tend to see the disability as an important part of who they are. While many disabled people accept tools to help them function in society one of their key beliefs is that the disability makes them who they are and feel that if they could be turned into an able bodied person they would lose a signifgant part of their identity. Now granted, much of this may also have to do with the fact that we don't quite have the technology to cure spinal cord injuries.

For Perry the trip to Destiny may have been a nice escape, but she may not have wanted to live there forever.

An illness confined Adrian Conrad to a wheelchair and after he was taken as a host was able to walk like an able bodied person.
        FRAISER: Burchadts Syndrome. It's a condition that affects the immune system leaving the body vulnerable to a host of diseases. And there's no known cure.
        perry was a quadriplegic.

THORAN(TOK'RA): Physical trauma is much more difficult to deal with than disease."
        BAM!

Comment

It's also possible that she may not want to be cured. Many people with disabilities tend to see the disability as an important part of who they are.
          I don't know where you get your statistical data from but since I enjoy a good root, and ability to take a shower and clean myself, I would have to be insane to not have my quadraplegic cured.

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
            I don't know where you get your statistical data from but since I enjoy a good root, and ability to take a shower and clean myself, I would have to be insane to not have my quadraplegic cured.
            I'm just talking about some of my experience with people in the disability movement. I personally agree with you if it were myself.

Comment

Somehow with all the Goa'uld that we have defeated we've never managed to get our hands on a sarcophagus. That always struck me as a plothole. However, I understand that it would cause major problems for the show if they could cure death just like that.

I'm surprised that even with alien tech available at the SGC, they haven't been able to help Amanda. Perhaps
              Spoiler:
              she really should join the Lucian Alliance and get a sarcophagus from them.

Comment

...the disability movement...
                I'm a horrible person for seeing a pun here.
                "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Originally posted by yanna View Post
                  Somehow with all the Goa'uld that we have defeated we've never managed to get our hands on a sarcophagus. That always struck me as a plothole. However, I understand that it would cause major problems for the show if they could cure death just like that.

I'm surprised that even with alien tech available at the SGC, they haven't been able to help Amanda. Perhaps
                  Spoiler:
                  she really should join the Lucian Alliance and get a sarcophagus from them.
                  Considering the side effects of sarcophagus use SG-1 found pretty early on, I doubt the SGC would make sarcophagus research a priority.

Comment

Maybe Tau'ri medical technology has lagged behind other fields. Keep in mind the focus was on getting technologies to defend Earth, so we wound up with ships, weapons, energy generation, etc. The Sarcophagus has very negative side effects, the Tel'chak device creates zombies, and those Goa'uld hand healing devices can only be used by a host/somebody who joined with a goa'uld or tok'ra (more or less limiting it to Vala or Carter).

Comment

Maybe Tau'ri medical technology has lagged behind other fields. Keep in mind the focus was on getting technologies to defend Earth, so we wound up with ships, weapons, energy generation, etc. The Sarcophagus has very negative side effects, the Tel'chak device creates zombies, and those Goa'uld hand healing devices can only be used by a host/somebody who joined with a goa'uld or tok'ra (more or less limiting it to Vala or Carter).
                      The Sarcophagus has very negative side effects when used multiple times over a short time period. Daniel Jackson used the sarcophagus in the Serpent's Lair. It didn't make him into a megalomaniac then. Only when he overused it in Need did he start becoming rather self-absorbed.

Comment

face it, you are arguing over a plot hole

its clear the tech exists, its just not used in the show because it would be too easy and take away from all sorts of stories

Comment

Originally posted by Astrofighter View Post
                          face it, you are arguing over a plot hole

its clear the tech exists, its just not used in the show because it would be too easy and take away from all sorts of stories
                          I wish people would learn their terminology. The word is continuity error and even that is a stretch.
                          Originally posted by aretood2
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

Daniel Jackson used the sarcophagus in the Serpent's Lair.
                            And it wasn't even his first time. He also used it in the movie. Not to mention all those times O'Neill was put in it in Abyss and it didn't seem to have made him crazier. Yes, the side effects are there but we have seen proof that the sarcophagus takes a lot of time and repeated use to corrupt someone. Perry would be put just once.

I believe that sarcophagi should have been addressed after the fall of the Goa'uld and some explanation should be cooked up as to why we can't get one or even have an episode where we do get one and there's a huge issue regarding non-disclosure to use it.

Comment

i doubt a sarcophagi would work, all info points to them causing the body to regenerate in the same way it normally would but much quicker, as an affect it would revive a dead person

if sarcophagi can heal her then that means that they could also bring someone who has been dead for 20 years back to life in pristine condition...

Comment

I think the Asgard cloning technology is a better solution. Asgard could life over an eon using cloned body. The only disadvantage is cannot reproduce. It would be sufficient enough for Perry getting out of disabilities. But there is side issue has yet known to us such as we never saw an Asgard using the communication stone. Would they able successfully switch their consciousness and back again to their cloned body?

Still, getting Perry permanently transfer to Destiny is like already found the solution getting people on Destiny back home.

Comment

Working...
                                X