FTL Visibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
    I have to laugh at those who think Wikipedia is not good enough to be a source for a Stargate forum thread about a hypothetical Faster than Light drive.
    Bingo.

Wouldn't doppler? Red-shift? Some sort of strange light issues be experienced when traveling between galaxies at a speed greater than c?

For starters, I'd think that no light from behind you would ever reach you, so everything to the rear of Destiny would be as dark as you can possibly imagine?

What would happen to light coming directly at you? Light coming from an angle?

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
      This has been scientifically theorised to a degree. Star Wars hyperdrive is an accurate depiction of going into FTL as light hits the windscreen. Something about light moving into the center and then a quick flash of white.

Comment

Originally posted by Avenger View Post
        Check the sources in the posted links and make up your mind on whether they're legitimate or not. Don't just assume that because it's wiki that the information is wrong.
        as the poster SHOULD have checked the sources for the linked wiki article................. they could have posted those source links instead! would make me more inclined to read them, rather than read a wiki, then check its sources because the poster of the link couldn't be bothered................. or didn't check them at all!! which is most likely.
        why the hell are we supposed to check your(or whoever's) 'research'(and i use that term loosly) twice!!

either way, 'bloke down the pub' said what we see on SGU is what actually happens, and he is a rocket scientist so he knows............... its the red lion pub near my house so go check that if you want? can't be bothered?............. welcome to our world.
        sigpic
        EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
        -Liberty Prime

Comment

It looked dang cool and I'd love to see it more often, like Destiny flying by/through a cool nebula. Generic starfields gets old.
          It's non-hyperdrive travel. Don't question it.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

Originally posted by beafly View Post
            Bingo.

Wouldn't doppler? Red-shift? Some sort of strange light issues be experienced when traveling between galaxies at a speed greater than c?

For starters, I'd think that no light from behind you would ever reach you, so everything to the rear of Destiny would be as dark as you can possibly imagine?

Thats one of the funny things about special relativity, though...no matter how fast you're moving, an object traveling at the speed of light will always appear to be moving at the speed of light. Its the classic "flashlight on a train traveling at c" thought experiment. Doppler shift will happen, and light from behind might get redshifted out of the visible spectrum, but you'll never just get no light of any wavelength.

And if FTL bends normal space-time (unlike hyperspace, which creates an extra-spacetime conduit), then light entering the FTL bubble would be essentially lensed, and to an observer within the bubble, the galaxies may appear closer than they actually are, due to the speed of light increasing as the photons cross the barrier and the value of c changes locally.

Comment

what you'd see in real FTL would be a big blue light in the front and a big red light in the back. however it would probably all be blurry. whatever the exact color in the front and back, these are small lights and the surroundings will be black.

Comment

Did we ever actually see the galaxy they're leaving from FTL?

Comment

Originally posted by Flibby View Post
                  Did we ever actually see the galaxy they're leaving from FTL?
                  yes and saw the new one all in the same ep. "sabotage"
                  https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                  X