Just finished watching BSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished watching BSG

So, after working my way through the series for the past several months I finally made it to the end. And, I must say, it's one of the (if not the) best things I've ever seen. The drama, the characters, the story, the action... Everything is so well done

- The characters are amazing. Flawed, threedimensional, and every single one of them is unique, well-rounded and goes through a personal journey over the course of the series. I really like the fact that even though the Cylons are the villains at the start, over the course of the series you kinda start to pity them for some reason. Really shows that there aren't really heroes and villains on the show, just characters fighting for their survival.

- Also like the death rate among important characters. Even though no main cast member bites the dust, the secondary characters are all developed enough that you are still attached to them. Billy, Kat, Cally... Was even sad to see Chrashdown go Gaeta's death was the worst though, I felt so sorry for him

- Also makes it hard to list a favourite character. Gaius Baltar is an obvious choice, but I also really like Lee, and Lampkin rescued season 3 from the scrapheap imo (the New Caprica arc was amazing, and Baltar on the baseship was pretty fun to watch too because of Lucy Lawless, but for the rest season 3 was pretty forgettable). D'Anna and Caprica were great too, albeit for somewhat other reasons

- The plot itself was great too. Politics, religion, scifi, lots of character drama... It got about everything. Was worried that season 4 would ruin it all (heard some bad opinions about it, especially the finale), but I was pleasantly surprised that it still remained quite good, especially the Gaeta/Zarek 'revolution'. The finale didn't bother me as well. I don't see it as a deus ex machina. The existence of 'god' had been foreshadowed as early as season 1, and 'god' didn't even directly interfere, the angels just acted through the characters. I just saw the god/angels as überpowerful alien beings, who might be of the same origin as the Lords of Kobol.

So yeah, you can definitely say that all the time I've spent with the show was worth it
    Mia: Don't you hate that?
    Vincent: Hate what?
    Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
    Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
    Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
    - Pulp Fiction

I started watching BSG and SG1 at the same time on DVD and blu ray last September. BSG was hands down my favorite between the two. It is my favorite show of all time. SG1 is great too but it's lightweight fluff compared to BSG. Gaeta deserved what he got.

I've started watching the whole series again from the beginning and it's cool to see how the characters evolved knowing how things end.

Comment

Originally posted by boo1234 View Post
      SG1 is great too but it's lightweight fluff compared to BSG.
      Yeah, that was an unfortunate side effect of BSG. Every other series is just not as compelling as it. The SG shows are pretty fun and entertaining, but at the end of the day just mindless popcorn series, and BSG took away some of the fun I had with watching it. SGU is attempting to get to the BSG level of awesomeness, so far they haven't reached it yet, but they're on the right track with it. Will have to see how it develops

By the way, I was considering watching Caprica, but heard the show was pretty meh compared to BSG (then again, what isn't? ). Worth checking out?
      Mia: Don't you hate that?
      Vincent: Hate what?
      Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
      Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
      Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
      - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
        By the way, I was considering watching Caprica, but heard the show was pretty meh compared to BSG (then again, what isn't? ). Worth checking out?
        HELL YEAH its worth watching! Especially if your interested in the culture of Tauron, Caprican etc. its visually an art for itself. treat yourself and watch the show, there are episodes which are really slow, but which show does not have it? please watch it
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TBA View Post
          Caprica is definitely worth watching. The show can be slow at times, but fantastic episodes such as There Is Another Sky and End of Line makes it all worth it. It also offers some great insight into the culture of the Twelve Colonies before the Cylon war, not to mention that it's really interesting to watch the creation of the Colonial Cylons.
          sigpic

Comment

I really enjoyed the show. The drama, grittiness and memorable character deaths all made it intense and worthwhile to watch. I thought the finale was a bit disappointing though.
            sigpic

Comment

The finale did everything I expected it to, and most importantly, the characters' stories ended well.

You loved the flawed characters of BSG? Caprica has them in spades. It's lacking in action/space battles, but I don't care personally. The politics, religion, technology, character journies and cool immersive feel the show provides is worth it.
              ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I love BSG

Comment

Originally posted by boo1234 View Post
                  I started watching BSG and SG1 at the same time on DVD and blu ray last September. BSG was hands down my favorite between the two. It is my favorite show of all time. SG1 is great too but it's lightweight fluff compared to BSG. Gaeta deserved what he got.

I've started watching the whole series again from the beginning and it's cool to see how the characters evolved knowing how things end.
                  Noooo! I totally disagree! I completely adore Felix. Recently i re-watched all the seasons in fast procession, and I find his transition from fresh young newbie to one-legged misanthrope so tragic. Poor Felix
                  sigpic

Comment

BSG is awesome. i love how no shields, energy weapons and the crap works SO well.

every battle is worth every penny. visually pleasing, and plot-wise excellent.

loved the battle of the Hub. the music, the way it played out.

DID you know:

Number eight and Cavil appeared on stargate? Eight as an SG Rookie (in the episode where they fake a foothold situation in the SGC to train the guys). Cavil as a Langaran (quinn's planet)

Comment

I think its interesting how Syfy will use their actors in different shows like that. SG1 and SGA's Kavan Smith also appeared in a BSG episode

Comment

Originally posted by mysterywriter012 View Post
                        I think its interesting how Syfy will use their actors in different shows like that. SG1 and SGA's Kavan Smith also appeared in a BSG episode
                        Its not SyFy. Its the limitied acting pool of the Candian entertainment industry
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Its not SyFy. Its the limitied acting pool of the Candian entertainment industry
                          It's limited, but at the same time brilliant when actors you like show up in the all shows you enjoy watching.

sigpic

Comment

kaven was a waste. he was in the opening of 'the captians hand' and that's it. he could have been so much more.
                            https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
                              kaven was a waste. he was in the opening of 'the captians hand' and that's it. he could have been so much more.
                              LOL Kavan with his like 5 lines

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                              It's limited, but at the same time brilliant when actors you like show up in the all shows you enjoy watching.
                              Indeed

Comment

Working...
                              X