The Sombrero Galaxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sombrero Galaxy

In this episode we see two shots of galaxies. First one in the far distance, to which they are headed. Later one is shown in the background, supposedly the one they are just exiting.

This latter one is I believe an image of the Sombrero Galaxy, and they are likely using a Hubble image.

Here is the page of Hubble images of the Sombrero Galaxy, with some rather high res files, if you want to use them as backgrounds on your computer:

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/galaxy/pr2003028a/

Enjoy!

PS If the image used in this episode is indeed of the Sombrero Galaxy then the ship is only 28 million light years from Earth! Oh well, so much for continuity....

I just clicked the link, looks nothing like the image on SGU. Could be just a CGI image, or one of several thousand Hubble images. Hollywierd cant get it right all the time.

Comment

That shot left me thinking "whose DeviantArt page did they 'borrow' that from"

Comment

You know, it would be rather cool if Destiny visited a named galaxy, like the Sombrero.

Comment

if teh destiny is sooo far away it wouldnt be visiting galaxies we can see or at least not the way we see them, remember light takes a while to get here

Comment

This thread is a bit silly. Of the hundreds of billions of galaxies out there you think you've found the one a fictional series' CGI is meant to be representing? Really?

Comment

While I don't think it was intended to literally be the Sombrero galaxy, it was most definitely in image of the sobrero galaxy, or at least the sombrero galaxy was used as a model. I recognized it, as did my friend who is an astrophysics major.

Good eye, senilegreen.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

You know there are billions of other Sombrero galaxy's in the universe besides that one....

Comment

Originally posted by The Swarm View Post
                  You know there are billions of other Sombrero galaxy's in the universe besides that one....
                  Aside from the Fedora galaxy?

Comment

the PA galaxy
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

More than one of that type, sure, but this is the one that was shown: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sombrero_Galaxy

Comment

even if thats the picture the used, remember its 29 Mly away ? that pic just shows what the galaxy was like 29 Million years ago.

As per wikipedia, the outer edge is supposed to be the birthplace of stars, while the very bright inner core is gaseous.

cant tell whats the current state of the galaxy - the bright core may have reduced to much smaller size if the gaseous mass got compressed near the centre and the outer edge got the stars.... its also uncertain if it has broken down to multiple galaxies.

whatever, the pic of sombrero galaxy doesn't look much starry .....

Comment

I don't think anyone was saying that they are literally in the Sombrero galaxy... only that the image of the Sombrero galaxy was used in this episode. Stargate has always done things like this, mainly in Atlantis.

It's kind of fun to try and spot things like that.

Comment

well... here is a picture ! it's beautiful !

Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

with such a epic name that galaxy is going to be awesome.
                              https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Working...
                              X