Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Obligatory Rush Thread

Because we have to have one, obviously.

I expected, from the spoilers put out about this episode before, that Rush would be a lot more controversial in this episode. Happily, either the show was rewritten or whoever wrote those casting calls needs to have their pencils broken and barred from ever writing again for causing such a needless controversy.

So anyway. Rush is coming along quickly these days, and we at last know something about what's going on in his head. I was touched by the entire relationship with Perry, and I hope that this isn't just something that never gets used again. I'd like to see her throghout future episodes. I also liked Rush's compassion toward Franklin (holding his hand was a nice touch) and also grabbing Young's arm and insisting that he give Franklin a chance to sit in the chair (irony, much?)

But maybe I'm too quick in celebrating Rush's strides toward redemption. I'm very biased. What do you all think?

Definately agree on the controversy issue. All that hype and they just hug.

Is Rush redeeming himself? The compassion towards Franklin was a nice touch, sure, but stopping Young from using the chair seemed a lot like the old Rush, to me, except with his kid gloves on. I could almost see the frustration and futility in his eyes when Young told him to "walk me through it". Trying to explain to a luddite how to use modern technology can be challenging, but when you have to do it in an alien interface, in a language Young hasn't shown much aptitude for, that would be a nightmare and rather hopeless.

Still, it was nice to see that different side of Rush.

Comment

Rush didn't need to redeem himself because most of the stuff he's hysterically accused of is people making stuff up.

Comment

Either the writers went back and did some script revisions... or the fandom did what they do best and blew it waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of proportion. Yay us.

And I liked Rush here overall. He was honest, and wasn't playing any games. Which is just nice.
        ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
          Rush didn't need to redeem himself because most of the stuff he's hysterically accused of is people making stuff up.
          Yep we made up him stranding everyone on Destiny, framing a man for murder, and mantipulating people to stage a munity
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
            Yep we made up him stranding everyone on Destiny, framing a man for murder, and mantipulating people to stage a munity
            Don't question Ellie, Jel! I can't lose you both after she tries to kill you for questioning Rush and you respond and you die in the process of killing her. NOOO!
            ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

I think Rush got a dose of his old self when he sat in that chair. He said it himself, the man that he was - the man that shared something special with Gloria that very few others have had - died with her. Now that he was able to reconnect with her memory in such a visceral manner, I think he was reminded that that's not true - she was never his conscience, as she said - and he was also able to realize that the few questionable things he's done (i.e. framing Young) would've disgusted both Gloria and her memory, and he doesn't want that.

So yeah, Rush has had a life-changing event happen to him thanks to that chair, and though he's still ascerbic and brutally honest at times (which is Awesome), I think he's now trying to mend some fences with those he may perceived as ones who he's wronged, and he's well on his way to being a, uh, "normal person", so to speak. Who knows, maybe being stuck on an ancient death trap at the ass end of the Universe is the best thing that could happen to him right now.

Now, Rush in this episode was extra interesting because he had a new foil in the form of Mandy. He was a lot more amicable and vulnerable here, and it made me wonder whether he was like this when he was with Gloria, and what that could mean should Mandy ever return. Perhaps having Rush getting into a relationship with Mandy could be the final step in him finally getting over Gloria's death and his own guilt over neglecting her in her final days.

It also seems that Rush's affection for Mandy "leaked" into his other relationships, particularly with Young. I was shocked when he physically tried to restrain the Colonel from sitting in the chair - maybe even more shocked than Young. Again, I wonder if this is Rush's way of trying to pay back for what he did to Young, or is it just Rush's utilitarian ways rising up again (because it's pointless for Young to try that stunt when Franklin makes much more sense). Meanwhile, Young still seems cold to him, but after what happened tonight, that may change.

I love how these relationships are evolving and being tested all the time! Wooo!
              Last edited by PG15; 07 May 2010, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAnotherVoice View Post

Is Rush redeeming himself? The compassion towards Franklin was a nice touch, sure, but stopping Young from using the chair seemed a lot like the old Rush, to me, except with his kid gloves on. I could almost see the frustration and futility in his eyes when Young told him to "walk me through it". Trying to explain to a luddite how to use modern technology can be challenging, but when you have to do it in an alien interface, in a language Young hasn't shown much aptitude for, that would be a nightmare and rather hopeless.

Still, it was nice to see that different side of Rush.
                I don't see how stopping Young from sitting in the chair could be anything but a good action. I mean, I suppose, yes, it was much more logical to have the near-vegetable take the risk of losing his life. But, as Rush and Young were very careful in making sure of, that's what Franklin wanted this time (and I still think that the first time around, Franklin also chose to sit in the chair.)
                If anything, Rush before "Human" might not have wanted Franklin to sit in the chair because there was very little time and Franklin's reaction to the trauma of having things downloaded into his mind would have an even worse effect on him than it did the first time around, considering the damage it caused. A safer bet would be the more robust and capable Young. And I think old Rush would probably have been okay with that, considering the bad blood between them.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                  I think Rush got a dose of his old self when he sat in that chair. He said it himself, the man that he was - the man that shared something special with Gloria that very few others have had - died with her. Now that he was able to reconnect with her memory in such a visceral manner, I think he was reminded that that's not true - she was never his conscience, as she said - and he was also able to realize that the few questionable things he's done (i.e. framing Young) would've disgusted both Gloria and her memory, and he doesn't want that.

So yeah, Rush has had a life-changing event happen to him thanks to that chair, and though he's still ascerbic and brutally honest at times (which is Awesome), I think he's now trying to mend some fences with those he may perceived as ones who he's wronged, and he's well on his way to being a, uh, "normal person", so to speak. Who knows, maybe being stuck on an ancient death trap at the ass end of the Universe is the best thing that could happen to him right now.

Now, Rush in this episode was extra interesting because he had a new foil in the form of Mandy. He was a lot more amicable and vulnerable here, and it made me wonder whether he was like this when he was with Gloria, and what that could mean should Mandy ever return. Perhaps having Rush getting into a relationship with Mandy could be the final step in him finally getting over Gloria's death and his own guilt over neglecting her in her final days.

It also seems that Rush's affection for Mandy "leaked" into his other relationships, particularly with Young. I was shocked when he physically tried to restrain the Colonel from sitting in the chair - maybe even more shocked than Young. Again, I wonder if this is Rush's way of trying to pay back for what he did to Young, or is it just Rush's utilitarian ways rising up again (because it's pointless for Young to try that stunt when Franklin makes much more sense). Meanwhile, Young still seems cold to him, but after what happened tonight, that may change.

I love how these relationships are evolving and being tested all the time! Wooo!
                  I'm not sure Mandy much affected Rush's moral compass in this episode, but perhaps. I think him stopping Young is further evidence of how the reliving of Gloria's death changed him, or at least reminded him that he was doing wrong. I think the bigger effect Mandy had is on showing everyone else Rush's softer side; they were practically holding hands the entire episode, to the bewilderment of everyone. It must have been extremely odd to watch.

I really want Mandy to come back or at least be referenced often. I want Rush to have a reason to come back to Earth, someday, even if ultimately he can't or feels he shouldn't. I want that detatchment to pain him, just because the writer in me loves to torment a character; the more torment, the more I love them.

Ellie,

^_^ How'd I know you'd say that? The important thing is, I think, that Rush feels like he's got something to atone for, even if some of us don't.

Comment

I think Rush is just "dealing" at this point. Yes, the chair may have been life changing but it's also possible that he, like Young, has settled down. After all, we know his relationship to Amanda was forged long before she came aboard destiny. So the idea that it was touching shouldn't be that much of a shock. It's the first friend he's had aboard Destiny.

I don't know that I can read the Young/Rush/Franklin stuff yet. It could be anything at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Azzers View Post
                      I think Rush is just "dealing" at this point. Yes, the chair may have been life changing but it's also possible that he, like Young, has settled down. After all, we know his relationship to Amanda was forged long before she came aboard destiny. So the idea that it was touching shouldn't be that much of a shock. It's the first friend he's had aboard Destiny.

I don't know that I can read the Young/Rush/Franklin stuff yet. It could be anything at this point.
                      Excellent point. Through that established relationship, we finally get to see the real Rush. Eli was shocked that Amanda could have been attracted to him, but her reaction to his shock looked to me like "You don't know him."

I'm so glad the writers chose not to go down the stone!sex route. It would have been so wrong on so many levels, and it is a beautiful insight into Rush's character that he refused her on both moral and emotional grounds.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lahela View Post
                        Excellent point. Through that established relationship, we finally get to see the real Rush. Eli was shocked that Amanda could have been attracted to him, but her reaction to his shock looked to me like "You don't know him."

I'm so glad the writers chose not to go down the stone!sex route. It would have been so wrong on so many levels, and it is a beautiful insight into Rush's character that he refused her on both moral and emotional grounds.
                        I was so happy when he refused Amanda, for the same reason you said. While I have all the sympathy in the world for Amanda's desire to take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I think it shows a lot about Rush that he turned her down. My hope is that, since we know that those who go through the stones from Earth sign consent forms pretty much allowing the visiting person to do what they like (as explained in the most recent kino) someone on Destiny would give their permission for Amanda to do the same. But that's a lot to ask, especially considering how most of the people on the ship feel about Rush, and the probability of lasting consequences like pregnancy.

When Rush refused, my mother, who likes Rush 'as a character' but so far has been extremely critical of him, said "Wow. He is a good guy!"
                        This moments after going "Oh no, he's going to rape Wray!" and me, going off the spoilers, saying "I'm so dissappointed in him..."

One wonders if such spoilers aren't put out intentionally to get us all riled up and also to continue with the theme of "Rush is a bad person!" that the first part of the show used.

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
                          I was so happy when he refused Amanda, for the same reason you said. While I have all the sympathy in the world for Amanda's desire to take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, I think it shows a lot about Rush that he turned her down. My hope is that, since we know that those who go through the stones from Earth sign consent forms pretty much allowing the visiting person to do what they like (as explained in the most recent kino) someone on Destiny would give their permission for Amanda to do the same. But that's a lot to ask, especially considering how most of the people on the ship feel about Rush, and the probability of lasting consequences like pregnancy.
                          I also think it would have been extremely distasteful and disrespectful to Wray's sexuality. The way it was handled was all-round win.

When Rush refused, my mother, who likes Rush 'as a character' but so far has been extremely critical of him, said "Wow. He is a good guy!"
                          This moments after going "Oh no, he's going to rape Wray!" and me, going off the spoilers, saying "I'm so dissappointed in him..."

One wonders if such spoilers aren't put out intentionally to get us all riled up and also to continue with the theme of "Rush is a bad person!" that the first part of the show used.
                          That wouldn't surprise me at all - it has been said by many casting directors that they don't always tell the truth in casting sides because they become spoilers, and I'm glad to see that being the case here.
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't see how stopping Young from sitting in the chair could be anything but a good action. I mean, I suppose, yes, it was much more logical to have the near-vegetable take the risk of losing his life. But, as Rush and Young were very careful in making sure of, that's what Franklin wanted this time (and I still think that the first time around, Franklin also chose to sit in the chair.)
                            The near vegetable, (paraphrasing James) had the lights turned off, but someone was home. Having someone like Franklin, brain damaged/scrambled/whatever is still infinitely preferable to Young who has not shown any skill with navigating the Ancient computer, or any comprehension of Ancient outside of the flight controls (which could just as easily be memorised by rote). Young wanted Rush to "walk him through it", which, as far as I understand it, isn't possible, since he'd be in that dream world (like was Rush in Human). I don't think Rush could have walked him through it, even if he wanted to, and the situation on board just made it doubly impractical.

I'd compare the task to trying to decipher a program you've never used, in an OS in another language with the threat of a gun to your head, with the instructions being given on a telephone line with a lot of static.

Comment

^_^ How'd I know you'd say that? The important thing is, I think, that Rush feels like he's got something to atone for, even if some of us don't.
                              Does Rush feel like he has something to atone for or are you just projecting that he feels that?

Comment

Working...
                              X