Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long will it take for Destiny to get back to earth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long will it take for Destiny to get back to earth?

Well if by some chance they get control of the ship and turn it around....

How many years would it take for the Ship to get back to earth?

Years, Months, Weeks, Days?

Seems like the further away they get with each episode will they eventually get so far away that they will be old folks by the time they get back?
    Continuing to work on my Blog, which is my showcase and other things related to what I'm working on!

Check it out here!

https://tyjos84.wordpress.com

Not in their life time most likely.
    sigpic

Comment

it's been stated more then once in the series. a million years or more. and the most logical step would be to travel to pegasus ands wait for a 304 to pick them up and return to earth
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

That sounds good enough.

Though shame that they can't find where the Ori Galaxy is if they're already passed it and FTL there, find the Supergate and Bam travel through the supergate and be back home.
        Continuing to work on my Blog, which is my showcase and other things related to what I'm working on!

Check it out here!

https://tyjos84.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tyjos2 View Post
          That sounds good enough.

Though shame that they can't find where the Ori Galaxy is if they're already passed it and FTL there, find the Supergate and Bam travel through the supergate and be back home.
          It would seem logical that the Ancients sent their starship away from the Ori galaxy, rather than towards it.
          If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
          Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
          If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
          Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Atem View Post
            the most logical step would be to travel to pegasus ands wait for a 304 to pick them up and return to earth
            The Destiny is "several billion light-years" from Earth. Pegasus is three million light-years from Earth. One billion minus 3 million is stilll pretty much a billion.

Thus, by the time the Destiny got to Pegasus, it would pretty much be home already.
            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
              The Destiny is "several billion light-years" from Earth. Pegasus is three million light-years from Earth. One billion minus 3 million is stilll pretty much a billion.

Thus, by the time the Destiny got to Pegasus, it would pretty much be home already.
              Plus theres another 50 odd galaxies between them and pegasus and they're travelling further away every day, the most logical step would be to, as the black eyed peas put it, to meet them halfway.

Though if Destiny ever is getting back to Earth it would probably be a wormhole or something of the likes
              I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

There are something like 12 galaxies shown on-screen during Air and another 20 or so "beeps" (signifying more galaxies) heard off-screen.

(Every time the star map shows another galaxy it makes a beep)

Also, once you add the distance of dark void between the galaxies, you will find that the only way home is through a Stargate or another wormhole-type device. FTL and/or Hyperspace just isn't fast enough to be home in time for dinner.
                sigpic
                ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                  There are something like 12 galaxies shown on-screen during Air and another 20 or so "beeps" (signifying more galaxies) heard off-screen.

(Every time the star map shows another galaxy it makes a beep)

Also, once you add the distance of dark void between the galaxies, you will find that the only way home is through a Stargate or another wormhole-type device. FTL and/or Hyperspace just isn't fast enough to be home in time for dinner.
                  using current asgard drive technology that the SGC posses it would take ~3.65yrs(min) ---> 25.6yrs(max)

so while it would take some time, its definately doable. This is of course on the assumption that the zpm powering odyssey can 'last' for that long under constant use...

Comment

Originally posted by elitewolverine View Post
                    This is of course on the assumption that the zpm powering odyssey can 'last' for that long under constant use...
                    And assuming they know the exact position of the Destiny in Space.
                    sigpic
                    ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
                      And assuming they know the exact position of the Destiny in Space.
                      That wouldn't be too difficult to pinpoint since Destiny's course is stored in its computers.

But realistically nobody would give the order for Earth's more powerful ship to leave the galaxy for 50 years, to force the crew to live out most of their lives on route and to deplete one of the very rare ZPMs we have access to, just to save 90+ "these are the wrong people". Most of them would be 80+ years old and might not even live to see Earth again.

The only way to get back in a reasonable amount of time is via a stargate/wormhole drive or a technology similar in speed.
                      Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

maybe the seeder ships themselves once done seeding will perform one last function....

break apart and build a supergate themselves...

this way when destiny is done traveling there is a supergate waiting at the end for it...

Comment

Unless a wormhole drive becomes possible with the Destiny, I'm going to say it's not coming back in anyone's lifetime. Traveling at a relativistic velocity towards Earth might get Destiny there in the crew's lifetime, but definitely not that of anyone on Earth. (FTL's aversion of time dilation is fun! I'd bet that the disconnect during the FTL transition is a relativistic effect: can't sync when one side is experiencing time that much more slowly)
                          Meeting the monolith aliens would probably get Destiny to Earth, but we'll cross that bridge when we know what its made of (right now it looks like the one in 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade'). The supergate-at-the-end idea is nice, but that would require having another one already existing in the Milky Way that no one has noticed. (And they're pretty big so...) And supergates would be made of a lot more naquada. One supergate = hundreds of stargates. There's also the issue of reaching the gate-seeding ship, hundreds or thousands of light-years ahead.
                          Do we even know if the Ancients ever built supergates? As far as we've seen, those are an Ori invention.
                          Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
                          The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
                          I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
                          A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
                          That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
                          Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
                          Caboose: They could be worse?
                          Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Unless they use some king of wormhole/blackhole, many generations will have to wait to see Earth again.
                            sigpic

Comment

Well TPTB have said Destiny was launched from earth before Atlantis, meaning Atlantis was launched 5 to 10 million years ago, so it would probably take over 10 million years.
                              thelastgreatprophecy.com

Comment

Working...
                              X