Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rise of the Planet of the Apes - News/Discussion/Speculation

'Planet of the Apes' prequel set for June

The prequel to Planet of the Apes has been confirmed for release next summer. According to Entertainment Weekly, Rise of the Apes will be in US theatres on June 24, 2011.

20th Century Fox will partner with WETA Digital to employ groundbreaking technologies to render photo-realistic apes rather than costumed actors.

The plot will be set in present-day San Francisco where Man's experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence of apes and the onset of a war for supremacy.

Rupert Wyatt (The Escapist) will direct from a screenplay by Amanda Silver and Rick Jaffa.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/n...-for-june.html

How absurd. We already know how apes came to be speaking: predestination paradox.

Still though, as long as it ignores the Tim Burton abortion of a remake, I'll probably check it out.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The fact Tim Burton couldn't restart the Apes series doesn't give me much hope for anyone else taking it on. In fact, I think the further along the Apes series got, the more it went down hill.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        The fact Tim Burton couldn't restart the Apes series doesn't give me much hope for anyone else taking it on.
        I think there's a couple factors at play there. First of all, the original PotA is a cinematic work of art. It doesn't matter how hard anyone tries, they aren't going to dethrone it. Secondly, Tim Burton's remake is about the time that I realized he's an overrated hack and that handing it to him was a mistake in the first place. Stick to over-the-top visuals and casting Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in everything you do, Tim, it seems to be the only thing you're good at.

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
        In fact, I think the further along the Apes series got, the more it went down hill.
        Can't argue with that, I'm afraid. The 'into the past' final three Apes movies were progressively lower budget and more crappy. The second movie, Beneath, wasn't bad, but then it wasn't as good as the first either. So it still fits the downward slope paradigm lol
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Well, I'd rather liked the way Burton's PotA ended, I think that would of been fun to have more files in a similar setting. But the rest of Burton's film was......meh. And I usually love Tim Burton.

And this prequel sounds like another CGI-fest.

Comment

Loooooved the original Planet of the apes, hated the terrible, terrible remake. I like to think i'm open minded so I'll give this prequel a chance, it could be good (he says in hope)
            Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
            Well, I'd rather liked the way Burton's PotA ended, I think that would of been fun to have more files in a similar setting.
            To this day nobody has been able to explain that ending to me with any sense.
            sigpic

Comment

I rather enjoyed the Burton ending. I don't expect anyone to understand it, but cheap excuse for a sequel.

There is nothing that could be done to ever top "You maniacs, you blew it up, ******* you all to hell!" in any Apes movie, even if a remake was done using the exact same ending, it would still seem awful compared to the original. However landing on Earth, and having everything the same but with Apes was a nice twist. That's why I was disappointed Burton's movie never got a sequel, especially when you consider how much it made. I'd just want an explanation.

Stick to over-the-top visuals and casting Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter in everything you do, Tim, it seems to be the only thing you're good at.
              If he had did that with his Apes movie, it may have been better received.

sigpic

Comment

I want to see a preview first, but I will most likely check this movie out.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I liked the original but didn't see any of the sequels and I'm not inclined to either as the consensus is that they weren't good. I also didn't mind Tim Burton's remake, it was entertaining and I took it for what it was worth.

I don't have high hopes for this prequel, but I could be wrong. The great thing about the first one was its originality. It put a totally new spin on things and it made for a very imaginative movie. Now we know the twist and there have been loads of movies, so I'm not sure where else they can go with this, especially if its a prequel.
                  sigpic

Comment

"The plot will be set in present-day San Francisco where Man's experiments with genetic engineering lead to the development of intelligence of apes and the onset of a war for supremacy."

It's kind of hard to have a prequel with the ending that given in the new POTA. Guess they are just going to ignore the main character went back in time to find that Apes ruled Earth. I have all the original Ape movies and if I remember correctly 2 of the Apes ended up traveling back in time for the 3rd movie and the female was pregnant. Her baby survived into the 4th movie which is where the upraising happened. So it was their traveling back in time that sent in motion the upraising of Ape slaves not genetic engineering. If the studio wants to go in a totally different direction why don't they just call it their own creation inspired by POTA movies?
                    Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

James Franco to star in Planet of the Apes prequel

James Franco has landed the lead role in Rise of the Apes, Fox's upcoming reboot of/prequel to the Planet of the Apes franchise, according to Deadline. The actor will play a scientist whose search for a cure to Alzheimer's disease inadvertently produces advanced intelligence in an ape test subject. Franco's character thus sets in motion the chain of events that will eventually lead to an ape revolution, although how much of that we'll see onscreen is unclear at this point.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/05/green-g...on-to-take.php

Comment

I do like James Franco. This could be interesting.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Word is that this has been retitled to Caesar (source), and is looking more and more like a remake of the original franchise sequel Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. This is sounding less and less promising =\

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Word is that this has been retitled to Caesar (source), and is looking more and more like a remake of the original franchise sequel Conquest of the Planet of the Apes. This is sounding less and less promising =\
                            That's my favorite of the sequels however the description sounds like they are re-writing the history and not for the better. Making Caesar being able to talk a genetic manipulation instead of son of the apes from the future. I had hight hopes but now I'm wondering if the people making this watched the Tim Burton version (pardon me while I go wash out my brain with soap) and are making a sequel to that as opposed the brilliant original.
                            sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

I wouldn't call Conquest brilliant, but it was flippin' Shakespeare compared to the Tim Burton abortion.

In any case, I agree with the sentiment. It's like they want to remake Conquest, but ignore how Conquest came about in the first place. Which is just moronic, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X