Comics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comics?

Anybody here read any of the Star Wars comics? I was looking some of them up on Wookieepedia the other day; I had no idea that there were so many!

I set about 'getting a hold of' Tales of the Jedi, the KOTOR series, and the Dark Times series. Has anyone else got any recommendations?

Also: this would make a great spot for you guys to discuss any of them you've read
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

IMO the comics are better than the EU novels, I starting to collect them a few years again but then lost interest. The Clone Wars graphic novels are amazing. (not the ones based of the two animated series) So is the X-Wing Rouge Squadron series.

Comment

I've read/own some of them.

Not sure Graphic Novels count, but I have Dark Empire, Dark Empire II and Mara Jade: By The Emperor's Hand. The actual comics I have are from Star Wars Episode I. There is the 4 issue comic book version of the movie, signed by Al Williamson, Rodolfo Damaggio, Henry Gilroy and Dave Nestelle. The 4 issues combined to make one signed set was limited to 750.

I also have an Amidala Episode I comic book, that basically shows what Padme and Jar Jar were doing when Qui Gon was doing his thing. It takes place from Qui Gon placing the bet with Watto before the race starts and ends just before the Pod is pushed out. It's signed too, and the cover glows in the dark. I've a Qui Gon version as well, it takes place from when the race is won and shows the consequences of Anakin winning.

I think Amidala and Qui Gon were first and second, there should be two more but I doubt I could get them any more.

Generally though, there are no real good places for comics here. There is one store, they do mostly DC/Marvel stuff, translated manga and so on. I prefer the graphic novels, because with me I can get them to last longer instead of reading something that I can go through in a minute.

sigpic

Comment

i don't read the comics i only look up the legacy comics plots
        R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
          IMO the comics are better than the EU novels
          That's a pretty bold claim, RT. Sure they've got fancier pictures compared with a novel only having a cover, but what of plots?
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
            That's a pretty bold claim, RT. Sure they've got fancier pictures compared with a novel only having a cover, but what of plots?
            Oh, well in terms of plots maybe not but in terms of expanding the universe they are better IMO.

Comment

if any piece of star wars media contrives another situation to make the mon calamari look like perfect military types or innocent victims (and of course both with perfectly calibrated moral compasses)...
              R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

I've read a number of them.

all of KOTOR out in TPB so far
                some of Tales of the Jedi
                all of Republic/Clone Wars (some of the best stuff here)
                some of Empire
                all of the X-Wing series
                Dark Empire
                Crimson Empire
                All of Legacy out in TPB
                some of the Tales compilations

Thanks to jumble, Krissie678, & Pic for the awesome sigs!

Comment

Originally posted by DuncTK421 View Post
                  I've read a number of them.

all of KOTOR out in TPB so far
                  some of Tales of the Jedi
                  all of Republic/Clone Wars (some of the best stuff here)
                  some of Empire
                  all of the X-Wing series
                  Dark Empire
                  Crimson Empire
                  All of Legacy out in TPB
                  some of the Tales compilations
                  ...and? Good, bad, or ugly?

Comment

he was merely answering the original question of the thread so the passively antagonistic "...and?" is unjustified.
                    R.I.P Stargate 1994-2009

Comment

I don't recall writing any antagonism in that post.

Comment

Originally posted by asdf1239 View Post
                        he was merely answering the original question of the thread so the passively antagonistic "...and?" is unjustified.
                        I didn't take it as antagonistic.

As for my favorites, the Republic/Clone Wars stuff probably. There's a lot of focus on Jedi who are not Anakin and/or Obi-Wan, which is nice. The Quinlan Vos/Aayla Secura arcs are standout. Heck, those two actually got bumped into the movies cause of their comics.

X-Wing is good, with some tie-ins to the novel series of the same name.

KOTOR has links to the video games obviously. Malak and Revan both make appearances.

Comment

I didn't take it as antagonistic.
                          Good

As for my favorites, the Republic/Clone Wars stuff probably. There's a lot of focus on Jedi who are not Anakin and/or Obi-Wan, which is nice. The Quinlan Vos/Aayla Secura arcs are standout. Heck, those two actually got bumped into the movies cause of their comics.
                          That's pretty neat, I didn't realize that. It'd be kind of nice to see different Jedi too. I'll probably check it out, thanks

X-Wing is good, with some tie-ins to the novel series of the same name.

KOTOR has links to the video games obviously. Malak and Revan both make appearances.
                          Tie-ins are generally nice, provided they're not completely off the wall and strange in comparison. I'm really looking forward to the KOTOR ones, personally.

Once I get around to any of them, that is

Comment

That's pretty neat, I didn't realize that. It'd be kind of nice to see different Jedi too. I'll probably check it out, thanks
                            If you're looking for specific story arcs, I would first recommend Twilight, followed by Darkness, then Rite of Passage. These three establish Quinlan and Aayla. All essential to get more out of the Clone Wars stories. There are 9 Clone Wars Trade Paperbacks available. All of them are good. There's also a General Grevious TPB. It's so-so.

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                            Tie-ins are generally nice, provided they're not completely off the wall and strange in comparison. I'm really looking forward to the KOTOR ones, personally.
                            They all work. It's mostly small appearances by the characters. And none of them feel forced into the story. For example, Saul Karath makes a cameo during a fleet battle. Perfect use of the character.

Comment

I've started reading the Tales of the Jedi comics, they're pretty neat. I finished the first arc (Golden Age of the Sith) a couple nights ago and just started on the second (Fall of the Sith Empire) tonight. The art is pretty neat, I like how everything has a Star Wars feel to it, and yet has a more primitive feel as well.

I keep imagining Naga Sadow to have the same voice as His Shadow from the first Lexx telemovie

Comment

Working...
                              X