Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Second Lieutenant

Default Re: Getting a bit disappointed with the "random" scenery

Quote Originally Posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
    It gets brought up becuase the show is different. It's a perfectly valid argument.
    Of course it's valid, I just get a "different from SG1 and SGA = better than SG1 and SGA" vibe from this. I could be wrong though. For my money, any given season of SG1 or SGA entertained me more than SGU has so far. Whether or not they made me think more is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
    As for the soldiers on Icarus, and other people that ended up on Destiny, they weren't supposed to be there. Some people maybe know a thing or two but it's not as though they had been prepared for where they were going.
    What I mean regarding the soldiers is that I figured SG personnel would be selected based not only on raw combat skill, but also relative intelligence and also a sense of adventure. It sounds cheesy I guess, but leaving your planet behind and visiting alien worlds would be much easier and more fulfilling if the people had some ambition to do such things.

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hurin View Post
    Of course it's valid, I just get a "different from SG1 and SGA = better than SG1 and SGA" vibe from this. I could be wrong though. For my money, any given season of SG1 or SGA entertained me more than SGU has so far. Whether or not they made me think more is another story.

What I mean regarding the soldiers is that I figured SG personnel would be selected based not only on raw combat skill, but also relative intelligence and also a sense of adventure. It sounds cheesy I guess, but leaving your planet behind and visiting alien worlds would be much easier and more fulfilling if the people had some ambition to do such things.
    I wouldn't say that no one has been guilty of doing that but I do tend to believe that this is a pretty sore spot amongst those who prefer the previous 2 shows to the current one and that you may be seeing offense where none is intended. Tone is hard to read online and some may be stating the obvious: that the show genuinely is different.

It would likely be easier to be enthusiastic if it was just an adventure, one where you could return home afterward. These people have all left something back ob earth so I can understand them not being filled with a sense of adventure.

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

I kinda like the fact we don't know anything about the places we go too, other than what we see. This isn't "classic" Stargate.

Okay I must say that I find the tone in some of the posts above to be unnecessarily feisty (but to each his own I can be rude too hehe), especially since I already stated that I know there isn't a Daniel 2.0 on the team. I don't need reminding, really I know what I wrote there.

Except for the "you are here" dot it was a completely nondescript structure with perfectly nondescript tunnels. Structures don't really pop up out of nowhere. They don't get built for the heck of it. I would have appreciated some context which offers clues on what the use was. Of course they don't need to know the language or history, some logical conjectures that make me go "ahhh that could be it" would suffice. I don't expect someone of the destiny crew to write a doctorate each time the pass a planet at all.
    Last edited by Wayston; May 4th, 2010 at 10:29 AM.
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Chief Master Sergeant erotavlas's Avatar

why would they even want to study and try to explain away the ruins like Daniel Jackson anyway? That is not their purpose as their primary objectives are to procure food, supplies etc to survive or anything that would help them to get back to Earth. Not to mention they only have limited time before they must return to Destiny. naturally they will gloss over many things that for them are unimportant or they don't have time for and they will remain a mystery....

besides....sometimes you just don't have the answer to everything you encounter in life....
    Last edited by erotavlas; May 4th, 2010 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayston View Post
    Okay I must say that I find the tone in some of the posts above to be unnecessarily feisty (but to each his own I can be rude too hehe), especially since I already stated that I know there isn't a Daniel 2.0 on the team. I don't need reminding, really I know what I wrote there.

Except for the "you are here" dot it was a completely nondescript structure with perfectly nondescript tunnels. Structures don't really pop up out of nowhere. They don't get built for the heck of it. I would have appreciated some context which offers clues on what the use was. Of course they don't need to know the language or history, some logical conjectures that make me go "ahhh that could be it" would suffice. I don't expect someone of the destiny crew to write a doctorate each time the pass a planet at all.
    But why? It's not a concrete answer, it's not a fact, it'd just be a guess no better than anything you or I could make. What would it add?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Quote Originally Posted by Wayston View Post
    You're still expecting a group of people not qualified to be making logical conjectures about archeology to do things they can't do.
    I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

so? there's ways to make people say things without necessarily being hard fact
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

daniel had the convienience of every alien being influenced or having influenced earth culture.

given the fact that there are maps, it's a labyrinth, and it's underneath the *what we think is a city*, it might as well have been a coliseum-like structure.

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thekillman View Post
    daniel had the convienience of every alien being influenced or having influenced earth culture.

given the fact that there are maps, it's a labyrinth, and it's underneath the *what we think is a city*, it might as well have been a coliseum-like structure.
    or the outer space version of the DMV

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Sam’s Uneven Parallel Bars

I like having scenery that doesn't serve a plot point. It makes the setting richer. Although I'm hoping that the Destiny remains stuck in the galaxy so that the scenery does matter. For all we know, the planet could be going through a dark age period and the one kingdom near the gate happened to be pillaged. Or the people view the gate as an ill omen and relocated away from the gate vicinity. It's a nice touch to the setting that can be understood from a human perspective.

Second Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by DetriusXii View Post
    I like having scenery that doesn't serve a plot point. It makes the setting richer. Although I'm hoping that the Destiny remains stuck in the galaxy so that the scenery does matter. For all we know, the planet could be going through a dark age period and the one kingdom near the gate happened to be pillaged. Or the people view the gate as an ill omen and relocated away from the gate vicinity. It's a nice touch to the setting that can be understood from a human perspective.
    The way I see it though, that location was a plot point and nothing else. The writers needed the team to become trapped, so they explored an underground maze. what else was it there for?

Sam’s Uneven Parallel Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Hurin View Post
    The way I see it though, that location was a plot point and nothing else. The writers needed the team to become trapped, so they explored an underground maze. what else was it there for?
    I agree that it was a forced plot device to have Destiny jump to a planet without giving a reason why we would want to visit the planet. If Destiny remains in the galaxy and if the crew can extend the range of the gate network, maybe we'll revisit the planet to understand Destiny's goal? Maybe the writers are going for Thor's Hammer in season 1 and then Thor's Chariot in season 2?

I agree that it was a forced plot device to have Destiny jump to a planet without giving a reason why we would want to visit the planet. If Destiny remains in the galaxy and if the crew can extend the range of the gate network, maybe we'll revisit the planet to understand Destiny's goal? Maybe the writers are going for Thor's Hammer in season 1 and then Thor's Chariot in season 2?
    But we do have a reason: Destiny is an exploration project. The whole point of the ship is to stop regularly to see what's there.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

But we do have a reason: Destiny is an exploration project. The whole point of the ship is to stop regularly to see what's there.
    "Not every movie is for you. Not every TV show is for you. Not every song is for you. Find the things you like, and like them. Go nuts liking them. A thing ISN’T for you? Cool. Go find something you like. That’s it. That’s as complicated as it should be." -- David Blue

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
    Probably overriden by the basic "Let's get the **** out of here" instinct that took over.
    This is the best explanation. There's no time to explore when you have man-eating spiders following you, a labyrinth that is collapsing around you, and you're trying to catch up to a ship that counts as your last hope of survival.
    http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6...tleworking.jpg
    Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

maybe after the episode when (if?) the team gets back they should do one of those mini webcasts where they view the kino footage of the labyrinth and ponder about it for a few seconds