No announcement yet.

Getting a bit disappointed with the "random" scenery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like having scenery that doesn't serve a plot point. It makes the setting richer. Although I'm hoping that the Destiny remains stuck in the galaxy so that the scenery does matter. For all we know, the planet could be going through a dark age period and the one kingdom near the gate happened to be pillaged. Or the people view the gate as an ill omen and relocated away from the gate vicinity. It's a nice touch to the setting that can be understood from a human perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by DetriusXii View Post
      I like having scenery that doesn't serve a plot point. It makes the setting richer. Although I'm hoping that the Destiny remains stuck in the galaxy so that the scenery does matter. For all we know, the planet could be going through a dark age period and the one kingdom near the gate happened to be pillaged. Or the people view the gate as an ill omen and relocated away from the gate vicinity. It's a nice touch to the setting that can be understood from a human perspective.
      The way I see it though, that location was a plot point and nothing else. The writers needed the team to become trapped, so they explored an underground maze. what else was it there for?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
        The way I see it though, that location was a plot point and nothing else. The writers needed the team to become trapped, so they explored an underground maze. what else was it there for?
        I agree that it was a forced plot device to have Destiny jump to a planet without giving a reason why we would want to visit the planet. If Destiny remains in the galaxy and if the crew can extend the range of the gate network, maybe we'll revisit the planet to understand Destiny's goal? Maybe the writers are going for Thor's Hammer in season 1 and then Thor's Chariot in season 2?

Comment

I agree that it was a forced plot device to have Destiny jump to a planet without giving a reason why we would want to visit the planet. If Destiny remains in the galaxy and if the crew can extend the range of the gate network, maybe we'll revisit the planet to understand Destiny's goal? Maybe the writers are going for Thor's Hammer in season 1 and then Thor's Chariot in season 2?
          But we do have a reason: Destiny is an exploration project. The whole point of the ship is to stop regularly to see what's there.
          "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

But we do have a reason: Destiny is an exploration project. The whole point of the ship is to stop regularly to see what's there.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
              Probably overriden by the basic "Let's get the **** out of here" instinct that took over.
              This is the best explanation. There's no time to explore when you have man-eating spiders following you, a labyrinth that is collapsing around you, and you're trying to catch up to a ship that counts as your last hope of survival.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

maybe after the episode when (if?) the team gets back they should do one of those mini webcasts where they view the kino footage of the labyrinth and ponder about it for a few seconds
                I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

Working...
                X