• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
    Its quite clear. The labyrinth was the alien's version of an opium den
    "Whooooaa maaan, I thought I just saw a GIANT f**kin' spider!" :O

Comment

I find the lack of backdrop explanation for the labyrith a bit disappointing. Okay so they didn't need to find some fancy gizmo in there that would be used in a future story arc, but the least they could have done is write in some dialogue on what the labyrinth was for. It's original that they don't explain everything all the time (like leaving everyone hungering for an explanation on the artificial planet) but one of the great things about SG-1 were Daniel's explanations for whatever they came across. They often didn't really matter to the story but they were cool and interesting. It's definatly not unrealistic considering the team composition (nobody which comes even close to Daniel's expertise), but disappointing nonetheless.
      What explanation do you think they honestly could have given? This is the other side of the Universe. The ancients have no stake here, there are no humans (Jackson was able to ascertain as much as he was because most of the alien cultures existed as extensions of human cultures) and whatever cultures that may have existed here have literally no connection with humanity - there is very little if anything that they could have figured out in the first place, especially with those people and in that timeframe.

Comment

pants...
        sigpic
        Save Mallozzi's Mailbag!

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          It's a conspiracy, black magic is at work, and the writers did it purposely just to piss off you and only you.
          that really does explain quite a bit...those writers are an evil lot!

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          And how, exactly, would the away team know the purpose of an alien ruin billions of light-years from home? It's not like Chloe could just look at it and go, "Oh, these were made to shelter the people in case of storms!" or something. They could have guessed at the purpose, but it'd just be a guess. There's no way they could possible have an answer.
          and for that I am immensely grateful!Even people that are well learned about A, as in ONE, culture rarely know all aspects of that culture, and it doesn't mean that they were even right about that culture, if we look at our own history of archeology. We get things wrong all the time. We get tunnel vision (which is sort of funny, all things considered) and try to fit everything to fit what we think we know instead of what they are. In short, Daniel Jackson "knew everything" because that's how the writers wrote him, not because that's necessarily how things work. It's possible to spend your entire life researching a single Earth culture and not know everything, so an alien world billions of light years away while you're trying to escape and giant spiders are after you? Not so much

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
          Can I ask why it is that whenever someone brings up a gripe with the show that they seem to get dismissed right off with the "this show is different" argument? I mean ok it IS different, no doubt. But these guys didn't just end up in the Stargate Program because they're soldiers. They become explorers as well. Obviously without knowing the history and language of this race, they'd never know what the tunnels were for but I still found it odd that they didn't even speculate.
          It gets brought up becuase the show is different. It's a perfectly valid argument. As for the soldiers on Icarus, and other people that ended up on Destiny, they weren't supposed to be there. Some people maybe know a thing or two but it's not as though they had been prepared for where they were going.

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          ...how would they know the history or language of an unidentified alien race that lives thousands of galaxies further than anyone in the Stargate Program has ever gone before?
          they wouldn't
          Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
          Probably overriden by the basic "Let's get the **** out of here" instinct that took over.
          giant spiders will do that for you!
          Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Its quite clear. The labyrinth was the alien's version of an opium den
          hence the spiders...that's some bad stuff down there! Stay away from the brown...yeah, you know the drill...
          sigpic

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Comment

There is no way that they would have been able to figure out much of anything about the tunnel system. Most notably, no one who was there is a trained archeologist. Secondly, they had a few hours at most to look around, which is no where near enough time to discover the reason some long gone alien race built a bunch of tunnels. I mean, there are dozens of archeological sites in the real world that have been studied by experts for decades that we don't understand.
            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
              It gets brought up becuase the show is different. It's a perfectly valid argument.
              Of course it's valid, I just get a "different from SG1 and SGA = better than SG1 and SGA" vibe from this. I could be wrong though. For my money, any given season of SG1 or SGA entertained me more than SGU has so far. Whether or not they made me think more is another story.

Originally posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
              As for the soldiers on Icarus, and other people that ended up on Destiny, they weren't supposed to be there. Some people maybe know a thing or two but it's not as though they had been prepared for where they were going.
              What I mean regarding the soldiers is that I figured SG personnel would be selected based not only on raw combat skill, but also relative intelligence and also a sense of adventure. It sounds cheesy I guess, but leaving your planet behind and visiting alien worlds would be much easier and more fulfilling if the people had some ambition to do such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
                Of course it's valid, I just get a "different from SG1 and SGA = better than SG1 and SGA" vibe from this. I could be wrong though. For my money, any given season of SG1 or SGA entertained me more than SGU has so far. Whether or not they made me think more is another story.

What I mean regarding the soldiers is that I figured SG personnel would be selected based not only on raw combat skill, but also relative intelligence and also a sense of adventure. It sounds cheesy I guess, but leaving your planet behind and visiting alien worlds would be much easier and more fulfilling if the people had some ambition to do such things.
                I wouldn't say that no one has been guilty of doing that but I do tend to believe that this is a pretty sore spot amongst those who prefer the previous 2 shows to the current one and that you may be seeing offense where none is intended. Tone is hard to read online and some may be stating the obvious: that the show genuinely is different.

It would likely be easier to be enthusiastic if it was just an adventure, one where you could return home afterward. These people have all left something back ob earth so I can understand them not being filled with a sense of adventure.
                sigpic

Comment

I kinda like the fact we don't know anything about the places we go too, other than what we see. This isn't "classic" Stargate.

Comment

Okay I must say that I find the tone in some of the posts above to be unnecessarily feisty (but to each his own I can be rude too hehe), especially since I already stated that I know there isn't a Daniel 2.0 on the team. I don't need reminding, really I know what I wrote there.

Except for the "you are here" dot it was a completely nondescript structure with perfectly nondescript tunnels. Structures don't really pop up out of nowhere. They don't get built for the heck of it. I would have appreciated some context which offers clues on what the use was. Of course they don't need to know the language or history, some logical conjectures that make me go "ahhh that could be it" would suffice. I don't expect someone of the destiny crew to write a doctorate each time the pass a planet at all.
                    Last edited by Wayston; 04 May 2010, 10:29 AM.
                    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

why would they even want to study and try to explain away the ruins like Daniel Jackson anyway? That is not their purpose as their primary objectives are to procure food, supplies etc to survive or anything that would help them to get back to Earth. Not to mention they only have limited time before they must return to Destiny. naturally they will gloss over many things that for them are unimportant or they don't have time for and they will remain a mystery....

besides....sometimes you just don't have the answer to everything you encounter in life....
                      Last edited by erotavlas; 04 May 2010, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                        Okay I must say that I find the tone in some of the posts above to be unnecessarily feisty (but to each his own I can be rude too hehe), especially since I already stated that I know there isn't a Daniel 2.0 on the team. I don't need reminding, really I know what I wrote there.

Except for the "you are here" dot it was a completely nondescript structure with perfectly nondescript tunnels. Structures don't really pop up out of nowhere. They don't get built for the heck of it. I would have appreciated some context which offers clues on what the use was. Of course they don't need to know the language or history, some logical conjectures that make me go "ahhh that could be it" would suffice. I don't expect someone of the destiny crew to write a doctorate each time the pass a planet at all.
                        But why? It's not a concrete answer, it's not a fact, it'd just be a guess no better than anything you or I could make. What would it add?
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
                          You're still expecting a group of people not qualified to be making logical conjectures about archeology to do things they can't do.
                          I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

so? there's ways to make people say things without necessarily being hard fact
                            I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

daniel had the convienience of every alien being influenced or having influenced earth culture.

given the fact that there are maps, it's a labyrinth, and it's underneath the *what we think is a city*, it might as well have been a coliseum-like structure.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                                daniel had the convienience of every alien being influenced or having influenced earth culture.

given the fact that there are maps, it's a labyrinth, and it's underneath the *what we think is a city*, it might as well have been a coliseum-like structure.
                                or the outer space version of the DMV
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X