Getting a bit disappointed with the "random" scenery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a bit disappointed with the "random" scenery

I find the lack of backdrop explanation for the labyrith a bit disappointing. Okay so they didn't need to find some fancy gizmo in there that would be used in a future story arc, but the least they could have done is write in some dialogue on what the labyrinth was for. It's original that they don't explain everything all the time (like leaving everyone hungering for an explanation on the artificial planet) but one of the great things about SG-1 were Daniel's explanations for whatever they came across. They often didn't really matter to the story but they were cool and interesting. It's definatly not unrealistic considering the team composition (nobody which comes even close to Daniel's expertise), but disappointing nonetheless.

This sort of explanations are in fact exactly what the Ancients intended for Destiny in the first place! They must be turning in their graves with these lolzering noobs that have taken over their ship I tell ya.
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

It's a conspiracy, black magic is at work, and the writers did it purposely just to piss off you and only you.
    ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

labyrith ? SGU? did i miss something ?

did word keeps popping up and i don't know why>
      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
        ...one of the great things about SG-1 were Daniel's explanations for whatever they came across. They often didn't really matter to the story but they were cool and interesting. It's definatly not unrealistic considering the team composition (nobody which comes even close to Daniel's expertise), but disappointing nonetheless.

This sort of explanations are in fact exactly what the Ancients intended for Destiny in the first place! They must be turning in their graves with these lolzering noobs that have taken over their ship I tell ya.
        1) Daniel understood stuff because he had studies the aliens that were were finding records of in many cases, he was an expert on the Goa'uld and other ancient languages. We are far far away from the familiar and don't have an expert, amazing that things aren't the exact same...

2) Can you tell me where you discovered the exact reason why the Ancients built Destiny? Thanks!
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Wayston View Post
          I find the lack of backdrop explanation for the labyrith a bit disappointing. Okay so they didn't need to find some fancy gizmo in there that would be used in a future story arc, but the least they could have done is write in some dialogue on what the labyrinth was for. It's original that they don't explain everything all the time (like leaving everyone hungering for an explanation on the artificial planet) but one of the great things about SG-1 were Daniel's explanations for whatever they came across. They often didn't really matter to the story but they were cool and interesting. It's definatly not unrealistic considering the team composition (nobody which comes even close to Daniel's expertise), but disappointing nonetheless.

And how, exactly, would the away team know the purpose of an alien ruin billions of light-years from home? It's not like Chloe could just look at it and go, "Oh, these were made to shelter the people in case of storms!" or something. They could have guessed at the purpose, but it'd just be a guess. There's no way they could possible have an answer.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Can I ask why it is that whenever someone brings up a gripe with the show that they seem to get dismissed right off with the "this show is different" argument? I mean ok it IS different, no doubt. But these guys didn't just end up in the Stargate Program because they're soldiers. They become explorers as well. Obviously without knowing the history and language of this race, they'd never know what the tunnels were for but I still found it odd that they didn't even speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Hurin View Post
              Can I ask why it is that whenever someone brings up a gripe with the show that they seem to get dismissed right off with the "this show is different" argument? I mean ok it IS different, no doubt. But these guys didn't just end up in the Stargate Program because they're soldiers. They become explorers as well. Obviously without knowing the history and language of this race, they'd never know what the tunnels were for but I still found it odd that they didn't even speculate.
              ...how would they know the history or language of an unidentified alien race that lives thousands of galaxies further than anyone in the Stargate Program has ever gone before?
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                ...how would they know the history or language of an unidentified alien race that lives thousands of galaxies further than anyone in the Stargate Program has ever gone before?
                ^^ Indeed.

I really enjoy it this way. Wondering about things allows your imagination to run wild
                "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Wayston,

So, who's the Daniel Jackson on Destiny? Rush is a Mathmatician with significant experience with Ancient Tech. Who else is there to offer instant pat explanations for whatever they encounter?
                  All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story... All plot and no character makes for a dull story...

"Scott isn't out. Actually, he'll probably soon get back in, then out, then in, then out, then in, with rhythm and stamina." reddevil 4/22/2010

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    When did I ever say they would know it? In fact, I said the opposite. My point was that I found it weird that they didn't even seem that interested. In the other shows, even when they had no previous contact with a race the characters would speculate and bounce ideas off each other regarding the purpose, age, etc. It's basic curiosity.

Comment

It's basic curiosity.
                      Probably overriden by the basic "Let's get the **** out of here" instinct that took over.
                      ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                        Probably overriden by the basic "Let's get the **** out of here" instinct that took over.
                        True, even before that though Greer and Scott didn't seem too eager to explore. I guess I just miss the old exploration storylines. Yes, I know it's a different show but they've barely even shown them exploring much of the ship.

Don't take this as me hating the show or anything, I like it a lot. I just think it could be closer in feel to its' predecessors without compromising the basic "darker, edgier" premise.

Comment

OK I tell everyone about the Labyrith, since everyone is soooo upset!!!

It was originally a place to hide from all the spiders on the surface of the planet...one problem...

...the spiders evolved to travel underground!
                          sigpic

Comment

If you're looking for explanations about absolutely every thing the crew encounters on alien planets you're pretty much asking for SG-1 and SGA all over again. I mean that's what those shows were about - exploration and that leads to an adventure. The point of SGU is to focus on other aspects. Yes, some times it'd be nice to know the history of some of the things they encounter but lets be honest, in this case it was a labyrinth on a planet that's located in a galaxy on the other side of the universe from Earth. I doubt even Daniel Jackson would be able to find an answer about it just from being inside it for a few hours.
                            sigpic

Comment

Its quite clear. The labyrinth was the alien's version of an opium den
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X