Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just trying to get this summed up. How things stand at the season 1 cliff-hanger finale.

1. Chloe, TJ & Telford are all bleeding to death.
    2. Greer & Scott are outside the ship & in danger of getting zap-fried by a gamma burst if they don't make it to the alleged air-lock that Eli is running to open.
    3. Col. Young & military personnel are, by all appearances, about to be executed by Lucien Alliance tuffies.
    4. Everybody may die, if Rush can't figure out how to get the ship into FTL again.

Anything else?
    sigpic My Twit-name (@fwupow) is the same!

Comment

I've just rewatched Incursion.
      Can I say... I really... Really... hate cliffhangers...
      But what a cliffhanger.

Not having Sky or any form of digital television I have to wait for the DVDs.

ttyl
      Starfist
      "What do you mean by 'Oopps'?"
      Team Starfist protects all. But having a fully loaded P-90 helps...
      Reality is an illusion... Created by those who cannot handle Stargate...!
      Jankowski's Rules: Rule 1: Check your Six!
      I'm not perfect. But parts of me are excellent I also cook...!
      To thy own self... Be true
      May the odds.... Be ever in your favour..!

Comment

Awesome finale. I'm just fortunate enough to be watching on DVD and able to start the next season tomorrow!

There were some fabulous FX shots, especially of Scott and Greer walking on the outside of Destiny. Man, she's huge!
        sigpic

Comment

Dang, what an ending/cliffhanger. I actually forget how a good chunk of these cliffhangers are resolved.

Joel's score during the whole "we're screwed" sequence was great.

Monday, The beginning of our final leg in our journey though the franchise.
          sigpic

Comment

The SGU season finale...

1. Forgot about TJ getting shot.

2. Ah, we come accross Varro for the first time...

3. Who's in charge of the LA contingent at this point?

4. Of course, some 2010 predictions were off base but meh.

Tense way to end a season if nothing else.
            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

So for cliff hanger season enders.. where does this one rate?

Comment

Now this is more like it; the characters aren't resorting to cliches, there's a sense that we're actually getting somewhere and it's actually tense. However, this ends the season with a whimper.

I do admire them form trying to learn from past mistakes though, this show has had a rough time (heck it was even canceled) and much of that time has been the result of trying to adapt to a new formula. Trying to figure out what works for the show, trying to figure out ways to build the story and progress the show and much of Season 2 would have some of the flaws worked out but to me, the formula isn't the problem. More so it was the writers and producers trying to reteach themselves in the production of quality entertainment; I mean how else could you explain the lack of character exploration, overeliance on dramatic cliches and even lack of direction with the story? Furthering that is the fact that the second half of Season 4 and Season 5 of Atlantis sucked and those shows are based off of the usual SG formula; both had gimmicky plots, story arcs that went nowhere, characters that became jokes, (I'm looking at you Todd.) two parters that proved flashy and inconsequential ("First Contact" and "The Lost Tribe") and situations that lacked tensity and at some cases, ultimately relying on the tugging of emotional heartstrings. (Dr. Keller...)

I felt bored out of my mind watching this, slightly less bored but bored nonetheless. They barely do anything with the LA nor the characters; sure it's more aggressive (as they shoot their guns more frequently, get into more fights and utilize the shaky camera more, these scenes are definately a plus given the slow mood) but barely anything is done. These people have taken over a ship, they're the most powerful factions according to the show itself so why doesn't it feel that way? Part of the problem is that barely any of them show that supposed grey area that the show proclaims to have, only showing them as the bad guys. It would be nice if we got more of a (sense of exploration/common ground) or even a reasoning for why they're doing it (Which would be revealed but slightly in the 2nd season) but instead, they're playing the common bad guy route.

Even the characters themselves aren't immune though it's only limited to Wray and TJ. Few people know that Wray's actor has been in a Disney animated film "Mulan"; a film that was praised for it's performance and won many awards, to see the actor sprouting out lines in a generic way, to see her playing her role in the most commonplace way is just disappointing and frustrating. I want to like her, I want to feel for her but the only thing that she can do that effectively shows character is be with her girlfriend and that's with Earth; when on the Destiny, she just loses all sense of affection and becomes a robot.

The best moments for me has to be Young who's performance manages to be comeback season providing a brilliant conversation with Rush that just showcases the energy and determination that he has. Seriously it is just an amazing performance which rushes you with everything that you got, this is a leader who despite his flaws, is still willing to fight for his ship, is still willing to do everything he can not letting anything get in his way. Jelgate himself would be proud of this and of course, the requisite Eli/Chloe scenes which get even better here. A guy getting shot and some unexpected surprises inject the episode with some suspense and there's even some beauty in a few of the SG shots and some musical scores which aren't droning boring electro scores; many of which are within the Eli/Chloe scenes.

However, despite the action, despite the suspense, despite the drama. This is still weak. And it's ending is an example of overindulgance; much of it is drawn out with fancy shots, slow motion scenes and droning music playing in the background and this lasts for about 5 minutes. I'm not saying this ending couldn't of worked but they play it out for so long and they focus on it for an unnatural amount of time that it felt like I was in a theater watching a Michael Bay flick or Pirates of the Caribbean 5; which is to say I felt annoyed and unimpressed. At least it got a second season.
                Back from the grave.

Comment

Good ep.

The ship sure did like causing trouble when the negotiations were happening.

Kiva is a hard *****. Just walking in and shooting the soldier like that. I don't think it was a smart thing to do though considering the situation.

The CGI of Scott and Greer on the outside of the ship looked fantastic.

Chloe opening up to Eli like that. Probably just made things harder for him.

Nice move from the earth soldier near the end. Pity it got him killed. And TJ shot.

Very tense ending.
                  sigpic

Comment

A good build up to what is a good cliff hanger for me.

Young ends up reaping what he sowed with not venting the gateroom. Hostages in the hands of a ruthless invasion force leader.

Now what?!

With the pulsar no one ends up with the upper hand, all in the same boat, have to work together to get out of this one, but how to get the upper hand back? This is where Young's decision to save Rush wasn't a bad one in the end, he would know what to do when the time came. Telford working on the inside, working on a plan too, so maybe not so dire after all.

Kiva was one of the best villains to come along in Stargate for a while, cold, calculating and intelligent, she really added to the tension with her no nonsense approach, a villain who wasn't just a cliched bad guy. She had some sense of purpose and entitlement, as well as honour, this made her a very tricky customer. She wasn't going to be fooled that easily as shown by Young's failed attempt at taking back the ship. Nicely played too.

Every time I see the scene of Greer and Scott on the outer hull of Destiny realigning the force field emitter I'm reminded of the scene of Picard and Worf on the hull of the Enterprise D trying to stop the Borg transmitting their signal in 'First Contact'!

The way everything built up to the climax, the wonderful music score as desperation sets in for various individuals was well done. I couldn't wait to see how everyone would fare, who would live or die. Young looking upwards, fearlessly, yet with some element of regret, fully accepting whatever may come as a result of his decision, nicely done, I loved that moment.

Comment

I study radiation with major emphasis on gamma rays. And let me just say their is no way gamma rays could ionize that much to cause that much damange to a person and that short amount. Its just not possible. But at the same time I acknowledge and am use to the fact Stargate messes up with science even if I do hold SGU to a higher standard.

Ronald Greer is a medic. That line just relishes in awesomeness. I found the Chloe and Eli stuff a little cringe worthy. And I was never in the camp who thought CHloe was a selfish brat that was using Eli. That line of reasoning never made sense. But the Eli crush on Chloe was just dull to me. It got old fast when it became obvious she did not see him that way. The best part is Young and Rush bickering and trying to outsmart Kiva. I remember the scene where Kiva throws Wray dead bodies to be especially powerfull They failed at almost every turn but it was interesting none the less. I really liked how the episode ended with almost in danger. Young about to be killed. Chloe and TJ passed out from gunshoots and Greer and Scott running down the hull of the ship to escape after fixing the shields from radiation. It was a great ending and made me excited for S2
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Most soldiers are trained in field medicine, so i can easily see greer being a medic.

Comment

The show stated TJ was the only medic so no he can't. It was just funny him pretending to be
                          Jelgate is right

Comment

There is a big difference between someone being certified in field first aid and someone being a full field medic.

Comment

Ture but the arguement is Greer being a medic when Young lied to Kiva not if Green has medical training.
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

I was not happy with this ... What happened to exploration and survival?

The way I see it, there was too many "to be decided later" from the writers, and throughout season 2 it becomes clear that they could not tie all the loose ends together...

Too bad, this show was impressing me the first half of season one. I even said in an earlier post, it could become my favorite show ever. Then it just went downhill, thanks to Lucian Alliance and other boring stuff...

Comment

Working...
                                X