Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Post 'Pain' (117) General Discussion

Visit the Episode GuideUNIVERSE SEASON ONE
    PAIN
    EPISODE NUMBER - 117

The ship's crew is plagued by hallucinations that manifest their fears and desires.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >
    SPOILERS! PHOTOS! AND MORE!
    Last edited by Darren; May 17th, 2010 at 08:08 AM.

Default Re: 'Pain' (117) General Discussion

So, the acting was great, the effects were beautiful, and the lasting impact on the characters was interesting... but the plot itself was a little cliche. I would have liked to see a more original reason for the hallucinations, and some moments were a little awkward. Why did Greer hesitate so long if he was so under the influence of the tick? Why was Rush so unable to realize it wasn't real when he's usually so grounded in logic and reasoning and knew what was going on?

Overall, I give it **, maybe **1/2, but no more. A little disappointing after the last string of fantastic episodes.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Okay, I liked it. It felt- well - "Stargate-y", for lack of a better term. I could see roughly that plot happening in any Stargate show or Star Trek or whatever (I think some of the elements have been used before), but that's not a bad thing. It was an enjoyable period of time, and that's all I ask for from my TV shows.

Random observations:
    Was it just me, or did anyone else think the lamps were the cause of the crazy at first? That, and Rush reminded me a lot of Zelenka in Tabula Rasa, if only for the whole 'crazy scientist with a pipe proves to be surprisingly formidable' thing.
    Why are Stargate scientists so awesome?

I was a little disappointed by this episode, in fact I will say the best part of the episode was seeing the blue aliens again. I feel like I would of liked this episode more if it took place in season 2. I liked it a little more than last week's episode though. I really enjoyed the way the episode ended.

Rush and a pipe. That sounds very ... Glaswegian.

Second Lieutenant

Sgu has great actors and I love that the characters are the focus of the show. I feel bad for lt James she is in love with Scott and knows he does t want her. I wish they would show a flash back about James .

Rush is deathly afraid of being taken again
    and his acting is top notch.

I can't stand shooter mcgavin

i liked the episode but after reading tweets from the cast stating how crazy the episode was and seeing previews showing the craziness I was let down a little. I expected more, more fights or something.what would have made this episode epic would have been if the smurfs actually boarded the ****. Overall 3 1/2 / 5

Quote Originally Posted by joeynox View Post
    I can't stand shooter mcgavin
    Who?

Quote Originally Posted by EllieVee View Post
    Who?
    Christopher Mcdonald played Shooter McGavin in the movie Happy Gilmore. lol.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

Anyway, I liked this ep a lot. It felt like Stargate and even used a Stargate plot. So all happy here they are sticking with the SG roots. Had a mix feeling of Doppleganger and Phantoms. Scott's Hallucination reminded me of Carter's Hallucination in "Grace".

Carl, you have made up for the disaster known as "Life". Props to you sir!

I gave the ep a 8.5/10, was orginally higher but was dissapointed that the scene we saw in the MGM trailer with the aliens coming through the Stargate was this ep.

Oh and the music has been really awful. They should get like Lifehouse, or maybe even a Bon Jovi song or something......well that would be the entire budget for the ep. lol.
    <a href=http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11231&dateline=1312816860 target=_blank>http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php...ine=1312816860</a>

I felt they butchered the plot to make room for these character moments. While the character moments gave us great insight into character's subconscious the plot behind it was so weak. More later.
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

Quote Originally Posted by Briangate78 View Post
    Anyway, I liked this ep a lot. It felt like Stargate and even used a Stargate plot. So all happy here they are sticking with the SG roots. Had a mix feeling of Doppleganger and Phantoms. Scott's Hallucination reminded me of Carter's Hallucination in "Grace".

Carl, you have made up for the disaster known as "Life". Props to you sir!
    Unfortunately, I only liked this a little bit more than "Life." I'm trying, I really am.

It was a good episode 4/5, i wasnt exited for this one though... im really looking forward for Subversion & Incursion!
    Things i liked:
    -The crew killing themselves lol
    -Rush Screaming hahahaha
    -Finally saw the aliens again since "Space" (was an hallucination though)
    -Wray almost got killed, dammit Greer! just shoot her!
    -Mc Boobies (James)
    -they didnt used the comm stones to visit someone on Earth
    Didnt liked:
    -Music montages.. geez, 2 in one episode?! cmon...
    -Aliens on Destiny an hallucination
    -Wray didnt died
    Last edited by FoX-1028; May 14th, 2010 at 07:24 PM.

Goodbye STARGATE & Gateworld

Quote Originally Posted by Briangate78 View Post
    ...but was dissapointed that the scene we saw in the MGM trailer with the aliens coming through the Stargate was this ep.
    WORD. I was looking forward to an awesome shipboard battle. I mean, there was the bit with Wray and Rush and Greer this episode, but that doesn't make up for it. Trailers lie
    Why are Stargate scientists so awesome?

I liked this more than Sabotage, it was fairly cliche I suppose but it wasn't bad and I can say I was mildly entertained. I guess the best part of the episode was the lead in at the end to the following episode. Not a good sign, but like I said, this was just one of those one-off episodes that struck me as okay, not great, not terrible, just okay.

Chief Master Sergeant

I'll have to watch this one another time or two, before I can say whether I truly liked it or not. Right now it feels kind of flat. There's was nothing extraordinary about the story. Having characters face their fears has been done so many times and this wasn't much a fresh, innovative take on the concept. I'm hoping there are some subtleties that I missed on the first go, to turn it around for me.

I agree that the BA's "returning" that way was a huge let down, but i liked that Wray is even more pissed at Greer now. Other than that, the episode pretty much reset everything at the end.

Pretty decent Stargaty episode, I loved Rush stabbing Wray and 'piping' everyone else. BUT! My goddam* aliens were a psycho thingo so this is ep receives a brutal 2/5 from me ¬¬

Ok, 3/5 thanks to Rush also screaming like a girl!
    One Ring to rule the Dark Side
    http://forum.gateworld.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38160&dateline=1262834287
    Sith Nazghul

Probie

Quote Originally Posted by Otarush View Post
    Random observations:
    Was it just me, or did anyone else think the lamps were the cause of the crazy at first? That, and Rush reminded me a lot of Zelenka in Tabula Rasa, if only for the whole 'crazy scientist with a pipe proves to be surprisingly formidable' thing.
    Haha, nope, I totally was blaming it on the lamps! They seemed to focus in on them for a second or two and then go on from there. Other than that though...this episode was ZZZZZ. Was reading news websites for half the time and still able to follow quite fine; nothing really held my interest. The only part I actually got somewhat excited about was near the end with Greer. Another low point in the roller coaster of quality that is SGU. That roller coaster reminds me of another show I used to like (psst: I'm looking at you BSG!).

To me I find that the episode doesn't really fit with the previous one. Aren't they in the void between galaxies and wouldn't the last planet they where one the one w/ the giant spiders? More people would have ticks. Other than that I think its just an OK episode. I like the idea about the hallucinations being about trying to get the victims isolated too.

This episode was fun to watch, but nothing to write home about if you know what I mean....next
    <a href=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/spimman/media/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg.html target=_blank><a href=http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/spimman/Sig1_zps2497bbad.jpg target=_blank>http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...ps2497bbad.jpg</a></a>

Chief Master Sergeant JayShadow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HaMm3r View Post
    Having characters face their fears has been done so many times and this wasn't much a fresh, innovative take on the concept.
    While the concept wasn't innovative, the thing that set this episode apart from other 'face your fear' scenarios is that we've seen these fears before. Some might think of it as a retread, but that's what I liked about it. Usually an episode like this introduces people's fears, deals with them, then are never heard of again. Many of the issues in this episode are ongoing issues and to me it legitimized originally seeing them the first time. Many of those previous episodes felt like "and this is why this person is messed up" and we'd never see them again.

Not a 10/10 episode or anything, but I appreciate what it was doing. In some ways it felt like a recap of what the characters have been through before going into the final stretch of the season.

Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast