Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Default Re: 'Pain' (117) General Discussion

A major misfire. This is the ultimate embodiment of unnecessary edge wrap around "character development"; in this case, sex, dark unbroding lighting, tons of gore, screaming, flashy camera angles and overly dramatic placement.

This is the second worst episode for me of the season, I can understand what they were trying to do with it; dig deep into the characters, explore their fears... Heck one of the best moments of the episode has to do with Chloe and her dad; it was just such a sweet, sweet moment in that she finally got to have that heart to heart chat and put her mind to ease, she knew it was a hallucination but she didn't care; this was her father, the one who's always been there and the father himself didn't disapoint, we learned a lot about what the connection was with them, what he saw in her, what he wanted in life with her and the fact that she wouldn't let go just made it all the more charming, especially when Eli tried to help. This gave her lots of character and made her more into just a whiny brat.

But many of the moments fall flat; alot of it is just introduced and than quickly dropped. Scott and his son could of warranted some exploration but all we get is one line about "You weren't there for me" in the most flashiest setting ever; sure, we could try to imagine it in the facial expressions but than again, we want to actually see it, not think it. Also this would be the last appearance of his son as the second season erases him completely, even going the extra mile as to change his character's backstory for "Cloverdale". TJ's sex moment is one of the most awkwardest moments of Stargate complete with rock music, CSI like shooting and sex! I detested how the plot started and I didn't care afterwards about how her plot was going mainly because she wasn't convincing in her portrayal, plus I didn't want anything to do with the plot. We get it, you're not a sci-fi show for children. And the one where he freaked out over claustrophobia, I get that it's common but it's seemingly unneeded, this thing is like a test as to how much edge you can take on before you get to the juicy stuff.

Rush and Greer's hallucinations are the only ones that manage to make it through an entire episode but even those are uninspiring. I'll admit, it is kind of cool to see Rush walking around as if he were on an alien ship and Greer being a dude on a mission but there is barely anything that translates to anything major character wise; we get that Rush has been tortured to the brink of destruction and isn't as strong as we'd think and we get that Greer is paranoid; to see what they're hiding is interesting but the more important question is this, what does it do in the longterm? How does it actually effect our characters? (keep in mind that Rush's fassad was starting to break down around the time that "Human" aired.) The situation that they get into is okayish enough as it gives Wray some of her best scenes yet (where she manages to break past genericy and provide a decent dramatic performance, being injured can do that to an actor you know.) but it doesn't make up for the rest of the episode nor does it elevate it to a level of greatness.

I will admit that after watching Revolution's "Kashmir". I do have some admiration for this episode, I mean the characters here were actually trying to do something and at least they managed to include some compassion and life into the thing compared to that episode where all they did was walk around barren subway tunnels all while they rehash what we know about our characters, provide nothing new about our characters and worst of all, include a pandering moment that couldn't be warming if it was near a fireplace. Even though this was mostly a rehash of "Time", they were at least trying even though they haven't got the formula down right.
    Back from the grave.

I didn't watch this the first time around because I saw the words "hallucinate" and "worst fears" in the description, and I hate those kinds of episodes. Either they graphically depict all my current worst fears or they give me some brand new ones that I hadn't thought of yet. Or both. But I did watch it this time, and it wasn't so bad (mostly), and the showdown at the end was pretty entertaining. But even so, it would go at the bottom of the pile for episodes that I enjoyed.

MIdweek, another ep of SGU...

1. Watching everyone losing the plot was cool!

2. Greer losing it was

3. Chloe...I had to sympathise but still...

4. "Mr Wallace" I'd be blushing if I was Eli.

OK ep

Second Lieutenant Lieutenant Sparrow's Avatar

Okay ep.

First time seeing the sex scene was confusing. Not so much this time. Still funny seeing Scott die though.

That soldier had the nastiest hallucination. Ouch. Imagine it all being caused by ticks.

Just remember to take your bug spray.

The Beach of naked Sebeceans and margarita shooter

This is not that great of an episode. But hey SGU was so awesome that it had less bad episodes compared to the other shows. It was bound to happen eventually. The problem with this one is that the plot is weak. Tick that cause you to hallucinate is a weak story which is only more highlighted on the fact of how easy TJ was able to remove them. It was clearly obvious this episode was written to suit the characters not the story. Some of the things that gave the character the most pain was obvious like Chloe and losing her father. It was apparent to me that had given her hardship. Others were a surprise like Greer and expecting a munity. I had to wrap my brain on why a munity gave pain. Others were just boring like James unable to get over Scott. So we have a weak plot with only some the of the characterizations being interesting. Finally I never liked how we were in a new galaxy so suddenly. A few episodes ago we have Rush going on how vast the distance between galaxies is and yet it is crossed in a episode. Weak idea
    Quote Originally Posted by aretood2 View Post
    Jelgate is right

I liked this one, but it wasn't above the average.
    I was happy for Chloe that she got some (imagined) time with her dad.

Really liked this episode. I thought Scott actually might have died there for a moment. I think I liked Greer's breakdown best but the others were cool also. Don't forget the bug spray was the best line for me.

Paranoia in space- its a popular theme and this was well done. I'm glad there was an actual reason for their paranoia and it wasn't just 'space fatigue' or something.

That has changed the relationship of Camille and Greer. I hoped something like that would happen due to the aggro between them. He obviously feels guilty about hurting her- he's full of rage but not a woman beater. Although I suspect he's an android- he's physically indestructible!

Interesting that when Rush is in trouble, the first person he calls is Young. I thought he'd call his buddy Camille to say what's happening? Are the military in league with the aliens? are you alright?

I wish Young had caught a tick and we'd seen what he was worried about. As usual he was just the observer. And I wish he and TJ would discuss the baby more.

I think Eli and James would make a good couple. They're both a bit innocent and cute.

And why doesn't Eli have girlfriends? He's good looking, kind. A bit chubby but so what?
    ~~~I like to see both sides of things~~~

After I first saw this episode I was beginning to think Stargate had done more episodes on the 'hallucination' theme than any other over its 3 series run! They certainly got the variation on a theme down to a fine art, how many more ways can you find to get people hallucinating?!

I too would have liked to see Young's 'fears', but unfortunately we don't find out any more about him, it would have been fun to see him really freak out though! Watching Rush lose it was interesting, those blue aliens really did a number on him.

Major General

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnn View Post
    And why doesn't Eli have girlfriends? He's good looking, kind. A bit chubby but so what?
    He's a stay at home geek. That should be enough of an explanation.

Staff Sergeant

I'm really looking forward to re-watching the finale, which pretty much begins with "Subversion." But first, it's time to watch an episode that felt quite a bit like an SGA episode. Here's my take on "Pain."

Reconsidering Stargate Universe: Pain

Major General

As with the prior ones, i loved it..

Especially the use of the intro and final music, as a basis for why this ep was going to be much different from the others..

That's one of imo the best things of SGU, how they USED the music to help set the stage..

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    As with the prior ones, i loved it..

Especially the use of the intro and final music, as a basis for why this ep was going to be much different from the others..

That's one of imo the best things of SGU, how they USED the music to help set the stage..
    Thanks. I think that SGU sometimes get a little too on the nose with the lyrics of the music, but they set the tone really well. The intro of "Pain" is definitely one of the better examples.

Major General

I would love to know.. How many overall awards FOR musical score has SGU won??

As always I enjoyed your latest revisit to SGU.

For me the use of popular music was generally well done even though it took a while for me to get used to the fact it was being used frequently. Popular music has never really been used as part of Stargate's storytelling so it just seemed to me like it was jumping on the bandwagon and using it as it was a 'trend' in various TV shows at the time.

Looking forward to your continuing trip though SGU.

Staff Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Krisz View Post
    As always I enjoyed your latest revisit to SGU.

For me the use of popular music was generally well done even though it took a while for me to get used to the fact it was being used frequently. Popular music has never really been used as part of Stargate's storytelling so it just seemed to me like it was jumping on the bandwagon and using it as it was a 'trend' in various TV shows at the time.

Looking forward to your continuing trip though SGU.
    Thanks! I'm hoping to do Subversion very soon. I feel like the music sometimes felt a bit too obvious, but when it clicked, it added a lot to the show. I agree that it made SGU feel different than the other shows.