Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this Episode is with Life the weakest of Season One although i like it more the Second Time around especially rushs and Greefs hallucinations are awesome Other than that it was kinda meh. And i liked the Young/tj Part a Lot.
    sigpic

Comment

I don't agree about Life but I do think Pain was the weakest episode, simply because the hallucinations were more like little vignettes rather than integrated into the story as a whole. I thought the performances were extremely good but there was no overreaching arc that tied them all together, space ticks notwithstanding.

Comment

This is the worst episode for SGU so far. The plot was boring (and done too many times to count) and was completely predictable. The whole problem could have been avoided by announcing to the crew the problem and get everyone to come to the infirmary. If they had just told Greer that he was hallucinating none of this would have happened. Additionally I thought they were in a void that would take weeks to traverse, how much time has passed and what planet did they get the tics from. The acting was good. Overall this episode could never have happened and it would have been fine. This was a letdown considering how much I have enjoyed the episodes up to this point.
        At the moment it is Phobos (though time is limited; it is suppose to crash into Mars in the next 100 million years )

Comment

Not one of my favorites but I still think it was okay. Some of the hallucinations were rather groovy. But getting to the other galaxy so quickly was rather sudden I thought. How much time had passed I wonder...
          sigpic

Comment

When I first saw Pain and found out it was ticks, I laughed so hard and loved it! If you are a country person like me, and deal with the little monsters on your pets and livestock and self you would appreciate the irony of it. I'm sure which ever writer thought up the ticks, must hate them as much as I do!
            I was also interested to see that Rush was not so "cool" about being held prisoner by aliens as he looked. He had to be traumatized by the experience, and his hallucinations prove the point. Chloes' were of her father, and the alien thing was not as bad for her, as she was only held for a few hours. Rush had to have been there maybe a week.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, at least. And it's possible that it affected Rush worse because he tried, and managed, to use the aliens' equipment against them. He got information from them in a way Chloe didn't (except maybe for her uncanny ability to use their computer to find the gate address).
              sigpic

Comment

I love actor exploitation episodes, even though the situation is pretty silly.

I give it a 6 of 10.

A good time was had by all.

Comment

Good episode.

I though it was funny when Greer was going after Rush at the end of the episode. Greer and his conversation with fake Young, that part.

I getting sick of this sex BS. At least they (the writers) get rid of it in Season 2.

I saw that redhead again.

Monday, the Lucian Alliance is back, and we have a mole.
                  sigpic

Comment

Another hallucination episode! I like them, mainly for the inventive ways Stargate does the variation on a theme!

This time it's ticks. Anything that sucks blood and injects some fluid into the unforunate living thing to facilitate that action is creepy to start with, and these are alien ones!

Of course it's a great way of learning more about what makes our group on Destiny tick,(sorry, just had to be said!)

Scott - Always racked by guilt for everything! In this case the son he feels he's abandoned and not there for.
                    Chloe - Missing the emotional rock that her father was, but helping her grieving process.
                    Volker - Fear of enclosed spaces, he's clearly not happy to be stuck on a spaceship!
                    James - Angry at herself for allowing herself to be used by men, lashes out in her mind violently at the insensitive way she percieved Scott used her by killing him!
                    Rush - Interesting way to see through his seemingly in control facade and see how much he was traumatised by his experiences on the alien ship, locked in that tank of liquid. He knew they wanted Destiny and feared the moment they would finally get on board.
                    Greer - Amps up the paranoia! He really didn't forgive Rush and Camille for leading the civilian uprising against the military.

The incident in the storage room where the paranoid Greer wanted to shoot Rush and Wray, all the time Rush saw Greer and Wray as invading blue aliens made for a great confusing showdown!

.....and of course, a bit of C4 solves everything!
                    Last edited by Krisz; 25 November 2012, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Tis a pity they never explored that facet of rush more, his fear of the blues..

Comment

A major misfire. This is the ultimate embodiment of unnecessary edge wrap around "character development"; in this case, sex, dark unbroding lighting, tons of gore, screaming, flashy camera angles and overly dramatic placement.

This is the second worst episode for me of the season, I can understand what they were trying to do with it; dig deep into the characters, explore their fears... Heck one of the best moments of the episode has to do with Chloe and her dad; it was just such a sweet, sweet moment in that she finally got to have that heart to heart chat and put her mind to ease, she knew it was a hallucination but she didn't care; this was her father, the one who's always been there and the father himself didn't disapoint, we learned a lot about what the connection was with them, what he saw in her, what he wanted in life with her and the fact that she wouldn't let go just made it all the more charming, especially when Eli tried to help. This gave her lots of character and made her more into just a whiny brat.

But many of the moments fall flat; alot of it is just introduced and than quickly dropped. Scott and his son could of warranted some exploration but all we get is one line about "You weren't there for me" in the most flashiest setting ever; sure, we could try to imagine it in the facial expressions but than again, we want to actually see it, not think it. Also this would be the last appearance of his son as the second season erases him completely, even going the extra mile as to change his character's backstory for "Cloverdale". TJ's sex moment is one of the most awkwardest moments of Stargate complete with rock music, CSI like shooting and sex! I detested how the plot started and I didn't care afterwards about how her plot was going mainly because she wasn't convincing in her portrayal, plus I didn't want anything to do with the plot. We get it, you're not a sci-fi show for children. And the one where he freaked out over claustrophobia, I get that it's common but it's seemingly unneeded, this thing is like a test as to how much edge you can take on before you get to the juicy stuff.

Rush and Greer's hallucinations are the only ones that manage to make it through an entire episode but even those are uninspiring. I'll admit, it is kind of cool to see Rush walking around as if he were on an alien ship and Greer being a dude on a mission but there is barely anything that translates to anything major character wise; we get that Rush has been tortured to the brink of destruction and isn't as strong as we'd think and we get that Greer is paranoid; to see what they're hiding is interesting but the more important question is this, what does it do in the longterm? How does it actually effect our characters? (keep in mind that Rush's fassad was starting to break down around the time that "Human" aired.) The situation that they get into is okayish enough as it gives Wray some of her best scenes yet (where she manages to break past genericy and provide a decent dramatic performance, being injured can do that to an actor you know.) but it doesn't make up for the rest of the episode nor does it elevate it to a level of greatness.

I will admit that after watching Revolution's "Kashmir". I do have some admiration for this episode, I mean the characters here were actually trying to do something and at least they managed to include some compassion and life into the thing compared to that episode where all they did was walk around barren subway tunnels all while they rehash what we know about our characters, provide nothing new about our characters and worst of all, include a pandering moment that couldn't be warming if it was near a fireplace. Even though this was mostly a rehash of "Time", they were at least trying even though they haven't got the formula down right.
                        Back from the grave.

Comment

I didn't watch this the first time around because I saw the words "hallucinate" and "worst fears" in the description, and I hate those kinds of episodes. Either they graphically depict all my current worst fears or they give me some brand new ones that I hadn't thought of yet. Or both. But I did watch it this time, and it wasn't so bad (mostly), and the showdown at the end was pretty entertaining. But even so, it would go at the bottom of the pile for episodes that I enjoyed.
                          sigpic

Comment

MIdweek, another ep of SGU...

1. Watching everyone losing the plot was cool!

2. Greer losing it was

3. Chloe...I had to sympathise but still...

4. "Mr Wallace" I'd be blushing if I was Eli.

OK ep
                            I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Okay ep.

First time seeing the sex scene was confusing. Not so much this time. Still funny seeing Scott die though.

That soldier had the nastiest hallucination. Ouch. Imagine it all being caused by ticks.

Just remember to take your bug spray.
                              sigpic

Comment

This is not that great of an episode. But hey SGU was so awesome that it had less bad episodes compared to the other shows. It was bound to happen eventually. The problem with this one is that the plot is weak. Tick that cause you to hallucinate is a weak story which is only more highlighted on the fact of how easy TJ was able to remove them. It was clearly obvious this episode was written to suit the characters not the story. Some of the things that gave the character the most pain was obvious like Chloe and losing her father. It was apparent to me that had given her hardship. Others were a surprise like Greer and expecting a munity. I had to wrap my brain on why a munity gave pain. Others were just boring like James unable to get over Scott. So we have a weak plot with only some the of the characterizations being interesting. Finally I never liked how we were in a new galaxy so suddenly. A few episodes ago we have Rush going on how vast the distance between galaxies is and yet it is crossed in a episode. Weak idea
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X