• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Pain' (117) General Discussion

Visit the Episode Guide
    STARGATE UNIVERSE - SEASON ONE
    EPISODE NUMBER - 117

The ship's crew is plagued by hallucinations that manifest their fears and desires.

VISIT THE EPISODE GUIDE >>
    Last edited by GateWorld; 02 February 2021, 07:27 PM.

So, the acting was great, the effects were beautiful, and the lasting impact on the characters was interesting... but the plot itself was a little cliche. I would have liked to see a more original reason for the hallucinations, and some moments were a little awkward. Why did Greer hesitate so long if he was so under the influence of the tick? Why was Rush so unable to realize it wasn't real when he's usually so grounded in logic and reasoning and knew what was going on?

Overall, I give it **, maybe **1/2, but no more. A little disappointing after the last string of fantastic episodes.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Okay, I liked it. It felt- well - "Stargate-y", for lack of a better term. I could see roughly that plot happening in any Stargate show or Star Trek or whatever (I think some of the elements have been used before), but that's not a bad thing. It was an enjoyable period of time, and that's all I ask for from my TV shows.

Random observations:
      Was it just me, or did anyone else think the lamps were the cause of the crazy at first? That, and Rush reminded me a lot of Zelenka in Tabula Rasa, if only for the whole 'crazy scientist with a pipe proves to be surprisingly formidable' thing.
      Why are Stargate scientists so awesome?

Comment

I was a little disappointed by this episode, in fact I will say the best part of the episode was seeing the blue aliens again. I feel like I would of liked this episode more if it took place in season 2. I liked it a little more than last week's episode though. I really enjoyed the way the episode ended.

Comment

Rush and a pipe. That sounds very ... Glaswegian.

Comment

Sgu has great actors and I love that the characters are the focus of the show. I feel bad for lt James she is in love with Scott and knows he does t want her. I wish they would show a flash back about James .

Rush is deathly afraid of being taken again
            and his acting is top notch.

I can't stand shooter mcgavin

i liked the episode but after reading tweets from the cast stating how crazy the episode was and seeing previews showing the craziness I was let down a little. I expected more, more fights or something.what would have made this episode epic would have been if the smurfs actually boarded the ****. Overall 3 1/2 / 5

Comment

Originally posted by joeynox View Post
              I can't stand shooter mcgavin
              Who?

Comment

Originally posted by EllieVee View Post
                Who?
                Christopher Mcdonald played Shooter McGavin in the movie Happy Gilmore. lol.
                sigpic

Comment

Anyway, I liked this ep a lot. It felt like Stargate and even used a Stargate plot. So all happy here they are sticking with the SG roots. Had a mix feeling of Doppleganger and Phantoms. Scott's Hallucination reminded me of Carter's Hallucination in "Grace".

Carl, you have made up for the disaster known as "Life". Props to you sir!

I gave the ep a 8.5/10, was orginally higher but was dissapointed that the scene we saw in the MGM trailer with the aliens coming through the Stargate was this ep.

Oh and the music has been really awful. They should get like Lifehouse, or maybe even a Bon Jovi song or something......well that would be the entire budget for the ep. lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

I felt they butchered the plot to make room for these character moments. While the character moments gave us great insight into character's subconscious the plot behind it was so weak. More later.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                      Anyway, I liked this ep a lot. It felt like Stargate and even used a Stargate plot. So all happy here they are sticking with the SG roots. Had a mix feeling of Doppleganger and Phantoms. Scott's Hallucination reminded me of Carter's Hallucination in "Grace".

Carl, you have made up for the disaster known as "Life". Props to you sir!
                      Unfortunately, I only liked this a little bit more than "Life." I'm trying, I really am.

Comment

It was a good episode 4/5, i wasnt exited for this one though... im really looking forward for Subversion & Incursion!
                        Things i liked:
                        -The crew killing themselves lol
                        -Rush Screaming hahahaha
                        -Finally saw the aliens again since "Space" (was an hallucination though)
                        -Wray almost got killed, dammit Greer! just shoot her!
                        -Mc Boobies (James)
                        -they didnt used the comm stones to visit someone on Earth
                        Didnt liked:
                        -Music montages.. geez, 2 in one episode?! cmon...
                        -Aliens on Destiny an hallucination
                        -Wray didnt died
                        Last edited by FoX-1028; 14 May 2010, 06:24 PM.

Goodbye STARGATE & Gateworld

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                          ...but was dissapointed that the scene we saw in the MGM trailer with the aliens coming through the Stargate was this ep.
                          WORD. I was looking forward to an awesome shipboard battle. I mean, there was the bit with Wray and Rush and Greer this episode, but that doesn't make up for it. Trailers lie
                          Why are Stargate scientists so awesome?

Comment

I liked this more than Sabotage, it was fairly cliche I suppose but it wasn't bad and I can say I was mildly entertained. I guess the best part of the episode was the lead in at the end to the following episode. Not a good sign, but like I said, this was just one of those one-off episodes that struck me as okay, not great, not terrible, just okay.

Comment

I'll have to watch this one another time or two, before I can say whether I truly liked it or not. Right now it feels kind of flat. There's was nothing extraordinary about the story. Having characters face their fears has been done so many times and this wasn't much a fresh, innovative take on the concept. I'm hoping there are some subtleties that I missed on the first go, to turn it around for me.

I agree that the BA's "returning" that way was a huge let down, but i liked that Wray is even more pissed at Greer now. Other than that, the episode pretty much reset everything at the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X