So what's up with the gates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what's up with the gates?

People have theorized before that the timeline goes Milky Way gates, Destiny gates, Atlantis gates. But on Lost they revealed that the gates Destiny uses are a more primitive form than the Milky way gates because they can only gate short distances as opposed to across the galaxy. But if that's the case then how would Destiny gate back to Earth, I mean you'd assume it has that capability.

And while I'm on the subject are the set designers getting dumber? The "original" gates had a spinning ring that allowed each chevron to lock on a different symbol. The Atlantis gates had a more moronic design because nothing spun, the symbols are all fixed in place so the same one would always light up next to the same chevron. The SGU gates make even less sense because the whole gate spins and the symbols light up on their own away from the chevrons. So why does it even have chevrons? Mood lighting?

Originally posted by sum_weirdo View Post
    People have theorized before that the timeline goes Milky Way gates, Destiny gates, Atlantis gates. But on Lost they revealed that the gates Destiny uses are a more primitive form than the Milky way gates because they can only gate short distances as opposed to across the galaxy. But if that's the case then how would Destiny gate back to Earth, I mean you'd assume it has that capability.

And while I'm on the subject are the set designers getting dumber? The "original" gates had a spinning ring that allowed each chevron to lock on a different symbol. The Atlantis gates had a more moronic design because nothing spun, the symbols are all fixed in place so the same one would always light up next to the same chevron. The SGU gates make even less sense because the whole gate spins and the symbols light up on their own away from the chevrons. So why does it even have chevrons? Mood lighting?
    Actually, people have been assuming that it goes Destiny >> Milky Way >> Pegasus, and this episode just confirmed it. These gates pre-date those found in the other two galaxies.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

People have theorized before that the timeline goes Milky Way gates, Destiny gates, Atlantis gates.
      Those people were wrong. That idea certainly didn't came from this forum. For reliable info try Joe Mallozzi's blog.

Rush said in Air that Destiny's gate was the first one, a prototype.

SGU model <- older than the Milky Way model <- older than the Pegasus model.

But on Lost they revealed that the gates Destiny uses are a more primitive form than the Milky way gates because they can only gate short distances as opposed to across the galaxy. But if that's the case then how would Destiny gate back to Earth, I mean you'd assume it has that capability
      By pumping a large amount of power in it, same as they got there. They have to find a power source, find out how to access it without blowing up the ship's energy conduits, and still keep the shield running. See "Earth".

It makes perfect sense:
      old SGU gates - the whole gate spins.
      less old MW gates - only the inner ring spins
      newer PG gates - nothing spins

You have less moving parts and less chances of mechanical failure.
      Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

I'm pretty sure its SGU Gates -> Milky Way -> Pegasus
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by magictrick View Post
          in terms of which gates come first? if sol yes.
          https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
            Actually, people have been assuming that it goes Destiny >> Milky Way >> Pegasus, and this episode just confirmed it. These gates pre-date those found in the other two galaxies.
            Originally posted by magictrick View Post
            Yeah. Exactly.
            Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Still doesn't seem right. Why would the ancients have made semi digital gate system universe uses, to go with the analog version MW uses then go full digital for Pegasus? Think the "Powers That Be" must be slipping n.n;;

Comment

The Atlantis gates had a more moronic design because nothing spun, the symbols are all fixed in place so the same one would always light up next to the same chevron.
                Actually the symbols stay where they are normally when the gate isn't active, but when they dial the PG gate the symbols disappear and the ones you enter spin into their chevron. When the kawoosh happens all of the symbols reappear.

Comment

I don't think I ever questioned this, wasn't it confirmed in one of the first few episodes that Destiny was basically showing to use the oldest Ancient technology at one point, thus.. the oldest gates?

Comment

Lets think about this a little more because all of you are missing one very big piece of info.
                    THE DESTINY GATES DO NOT PREDATE ALL ANCIENT TECH
                    YES SGU gates are more primitive.
                    NO they are not older then the MWGates
                    If they, the(SGU gates)were older they would be 50+million years old. (we know the original earth gate was about this old)
                    We are led to believe the Destiny is not that old, its old, but not predating ALL ancient tech.

The gates are more primitive, perhaps due to the way they are seeded.
                    We know from SG1 that gates draw power from the DHD, SGU gates NO DHD to power=more primitive.
                    To say the SGUGates PREDATE the MWGates is to say the Destiny is 50 million years old.

If you say it is that old, I think you a fool.
                    Once again, Primitive=/=Predate.

A bow and arrow is more primitive then a gun.
                    However, a modern Bow, does not predate a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSmeagol View Post
                      NO they are not older then the MWGates
                      Yes, they are. It has been stated by PTB several times.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                        Yes, they are. It has been stated by PTB several times.
                        Ok great so Destiny is 50 million years old, good stuff.
                        who believes that?
                        Last edited by GoodSmeagol; 02 May 2010, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Well... not billions of years old. That's just silly.
                          ~ When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take back the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN! ~

~ Burning people! He says what we're all thinking! ~

Comment

Originally posted by GoodSmeagol View Post
                            Ok great so Destiny is 50 billion years old, good stuff.
                            who believes that?
                            I could also randomly pull a number out of my... hat. Yes, Destiny and SGU gates have to be friggin' old to match with other series. If that keeps canon consistent, so be it.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MattSilver 3k View Post
                              Well... not billions of years old. That's just silly.
                              Lol and 50 MILLION is not, heh

Comment

Working...
                              X