No announcement yet.

Kino Technology Inconsistency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oibviously destiny started shutting everything down for it s journey across the void

Comment

Nah, the ship will make one last refueling stop before the void. I believe the kinos use wireless power on the ship.

Spoiler:
      That being said, i also believe the saboteur is already at work screwing with the systems, they really dont want Destiny to leave. Rush should have figure this one out

Comment

Computer virus. Probably an unknown concept for the Ancients.

Personally, I'm more intrigued as to why the Kinos don't have a recall system in case they end up in a planet with a toxic atmosphere and can't be retrieved manually.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
          Computer virus. Probably an unknown concept for the Ancients.

Personally, I'm more intrigued as to why the Kinos don't have a recall system in case they end up in a planet with a toxic atmosphere and can't be retrieved manually.
          They'd need to have their own dialing system for that to work, and once the wormhole shuts down, they might not know the address to dial back to.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
            They'd need to have their own dialing system for that to work, and once the wormhole shuts down, they might not know the address to dial back to.
            Would that be unfeasible for the Ancients? Were the Kinos so expendable to them?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
              Would that be unfeasible for the Ancients? Were the Kinos so expendable to them?
              I would think the Ancients would have a way to retrieve a kino sent to a toxic planet, as long as the gate is still open and the kino is not destroyed. Although kinos are not as expensive as a MALP, I would assume that there is a finite supply of them on the Destiny and no way to generate more - whereas SGC could always build more MALPs to replace the ones left on other worlds. Maybe the retrieval mechanism is available on the controller Eli carries but he just isn't aware of it.

ArchaeoNerd

Comment

Originally posted by ArchaeoNerd View Post
                Although kinos are not as expensive as a MALP, I would assume that there is a finite supply of them on the Destiny and no way to generate more - whereas SGC could always build more MALPs to replace the ones left on other worlds.
                Actually, Kino Room synth says the Kino dispenser manufactures and dispenses Kinos.
                sigpic

Comment

Remember Col. Youngs radio was acting up, so human tech was effected as well. It must be some kind of Sabotage!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Egle01 View Post
                    Actually, Kino Room synth says the Kino dispenser manufactures and dispenses Kinos.
                    You could still argue they need resources to make KINOs which have to be finite. They just don't pop out of thin air
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                      You could still argue they need resources to make KINOs which have to be finite. They just don't pop out of thin air
                      Yes. But my response was aimed at that there's no way to generate more. There is a way.
                      sigpic

Comment

but it's not an inconsistency.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchaeoNerd View Post
                          I would think the Ancients would have a way to retrieve a kino sent to a toxic planet, as long as the gate is still open and the kino is not destroyed. Although kinos are not as expensive as a MALP, I would assume that there is a finite supply of them on the Destiny and no way to generate more - whereas SGC could always build more MALPs to replace the ones left on other worlds. Maybe the retrieval mechanism is available on the controller Eli carries but he just isn't aware of it.

ArchaeoNerd
                          Well, if they'd been going to that planet from the ship instead of another planet, they could have put on space suits to go retrieve it.

Comment

I think that it was just coincidental that the kino ran out of battery at the same time the ship powered down, or it takes a minute or so for the kino to switch from the ship's wireless power to its own internal power (i.e. maybe it reboots when it switches power sources; it uses a break before make switch?).

I thought the same thing too when they lost the kino to the poisonous planet. There would logically be a way to retrieve it, or more accurately, a way to set it to autodial to the planet it just left (remember the gates are one way so they'd have to shut down and dial back from the destination planet). The remote can retrieve a gate list wherever it arrives. The kino would just need the gate address it came from which it should know from the Point Of Origin.

Well, if they'd been going to that planet from the ship instead of another planet, they could have put on space suits to go retrieve it.
                            Well the castaways managed to find protective suits when the went to the sandstorm planet. At least Eli found something other than his red T-shirt and jacket to wear on that planet.
                            The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Originally posted by Deckker View Post
                              I think the problem here is we are making assumptions, that we already understand the technology.

http://blog.ted.com/2009/08/wireless_electr.php

This link will sort a lot of your concepts out in this regard. Long story short, as long as the Kino is on board the ship, it could possible draw its power from the ships main power "wirelessly". This would allow them to operate indefinitely on the ship. The Kino does have a finite life span if it was on a battery. Like this it could operate without limits on the ship.

When its time for it to vist another planet, it then will switch to onboard battery. From here, there are 2 main threads of thoughts. The battery is charged before crossing the gate, or charge by the gate. The other line of thought, is that unless it detects its cross a gate, it does not actually switch over to internal power. Consider it a limitation of the program or design of the Kino.

Wireless power on the ship makes sense, Heck its like the holy grail of the modern world, no need to guess how much it will be used on the ship.
                              I think Riley said that he had just pulled the Kino from the tube. Maybe it didn't get a full charge because Destiny was in the process of going into power save mode for the void crossing.
                              both things combined are the answer (i think)

One problem I see with this is that the Kinos worked during Darkness.
                              maybe their batteries where full charged
                              Watching SGA and SGU

Comment

Maybe Rush actually did shut down the Kinos but lied. But it would be too big a coincidence that other stuff happened to shut down at the same time.
                                "Most people who are watching TV are semi-catatonic. They're not fully alive." - U.S. District Court Judge Timothy Batten Sr.
                                Ronald Greer is also a medic. Your argument is invalid.
                                Originally posted by J-Whitt Remastered
                                Secondly, I think that everything DigiFluid is good.
                                Sandcastle Builder: The game of XKCD: Time

Comment

Working...
                                X