Kino Technology Inconsistency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kino Technology Inconsistency

When auto shutdown cut off the power on the ship, Kino dropped into the floor is a thing that shouldn't be happening. Kino running on it's own power source didn't it?

It can float on any visited planet without a problem. Why suddenly in this episode Kino didn't work like it used to?

Any thought?

Originally posted by Trinary View Post
    When auto shutdown cut off the power on the ship, Kino dropped into the floor is a thing that shouldn't be happening. Kino running on it's own power source didn't it?

It can float on any visited planet without a problem. Why suddenly in this episode Kino didn't work like it used to?

Any thought?
    I think Riley said that he had just pulled the Kino from the tube. Maybe it didn't get a full charge because Destiny was in the process of going into power save mode for the void crossing.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
      I think Riley said that he had just pulled the Kino from the tube. Maybe it didn't get a full charge because Destiny was in the process of going into power save mode for the void crossing.
      Or Destiny just shut it down cos one way or another it is using destinys power, if its not on it won't have to charged and so won't use power
      I dunno what to put in here now..

Comment

Any thought?
        Good observation. The only explanation I can come up with is that the kino wasn't charged because the ship was already preparing for his power-saving mode. Strike that. It doesn't work since the kino drop at the same time as the power to the ship.
        Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

But at the end of the episode Riley has a working Kino to get Greer's story. Strange isn't?

Comment

But at the end of the episode Riley has a working Kino to get Greer's story. Strange isn't?
            Yep.

Ok here's another explanation. I guess now the most logical explanation is that the ship send a shut down signal to the kino's when turning is power-saving mode on (so it doesn't have to charge them), but that its possible to start a kino manually afterward with the control pad. I forgot they did restore some power afterward to the ship iirc.
            Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

I think the problem here is we are making assumptions, that we already understand the technology.

http://blog.ted.com/2009/08/wireless_electr.php

This link will sort a lot of your concepts out in this regard. Long story short, as long as the Kino is on board the ship, it could possible draw its power from the ships main power "wirelessly". This would allow them to operate indefinitely on the ship. The Kino does have a finite life span if it was on a battery. Like this it could operate without limits on the ship.

When its time for it to vist another planet, it then will switch to onboard battery. From here, there are 2 main threads of thoughts. The battery is charged before crossing the gate, or charge by the gate. The other line of thought, is that unless it detects its cross a gate, it does not actually switch over to internal power. Consider it a limitation of the program or design of the Kino.

Wireless power on the ship makes sense, Heck its like the holy grail of the modern world, no need to guess how much it will be used on the ship.

Comment

I have hard time accepting that such wireless powered device would only be recharged when crossing the gate and not out of its dispenser (or even continuously).

Comment

I was under the impression that Rush turned off the Kino from the console. Brody (I think it was him) looked over at him. The lights then turned off and when Brody looked at him after this, Rush said that wasn't him.
                  My Minecraft Stargatesigpic

Comment

Maybe kinos only go on internal batteries when they go through a gate? It wouldn't surprise me if they had that kind of tech built into it: detect signal from gate > switch to internal power; go through gate > detecting wireless power transfers? yes > switch to wireless mode. no > say on internal power.

Comment

I think someone above got it right. The ship just sent a signal to the kino to put it in 'sleep mode'. Since the void is so massive the Destiny has to conserve power anyway she can and shuts down all none essential systems. After all, since the void is empty there are no stars to dive into when power levels are low. Also, the kinos original function was to act as a malp and since there's no need for it in the void it would make sense that Destiny shut it down to conserve power.

I think rush said he could bipass the system and get the lights working again. I assume he did the same thing for the kinos and got them working again. Might turn out to be a bad decision power wise.

Edit: How can anything like a kino be powered wirelessly?
                      Last edited by Pizerer; 01 May 2010, 06:39 PM.

Comment

This was after they'd overriden the power-save feature, however.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by Deckker View Post
                          Long story short, as long as the Kino is on board the ship, it could possible draw its power from the ships main power "wirelessly". This would allow them to operate indefinitely on the ship. The Kino does have a finite life span if it was on a battery. Like this it could operate without limits on the ship.
                          One problem I see with this is that the Kinos worked during Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Starsaber View Post
                            One problem I see with this is that the Kinos worked during Darkness.
                            Different scenarios. Didn't the consoles shut down in "Darkness," or am I remembering that wrong?
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I'm more leaning towards a ship-wide shutdown or sleep mode. Just like flicking the master switch. Everything is automated yaa.

Comment

Working...
                              X