Kino Technology Inconsistency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eternal Density View Post
    Maybe Rush actually did shut down the Kinos but lied. But it would be too big a coincidence that other stuff happened to shut down at the same time.
    I initially thought this as well, since Riley had one in his face, but like you say, the timing of it all would have been too coincidental. Aside from that, we've seen Rush shout and scream to get rid of annoyances.

Comment

Originally posted by JoseP927 View Post
      Well the castaways managed to find protective suits when the went to the sandstorm planet. At least Eli found something other than his red T-shirt and jacket to wear on that planet.
      I didn't record the episode and it's not up on Hulu yet, but I think Eli just zipped up his BDU jacket. Not sure where the cloth they were using to cover their faces came from, but they weren't wearing protective suits.

Comment

Let's say we accept the premise that the ship is beginning a power conservation mode before entering the void between galaxies as opposed to the sabotuer idea.

As there will be no need for kinos between galaxies as their primary function is to scout the planets seeded with stargates, it stands to reason that the ship would draw the power out of the kino's before entering the void in order to have as much power in its' tank as it can for the trip.

As such why the kino shut down at exactly the same time as the lights would be down to one of two things.
        A) Everything was turned off, and the main console which controls the kinos sent out its' own shut down command to each kino.
        B) Massive coincidence.
        Either way im not that worried, it seems pretty sound to me, If it's (B) it's because Riley took it out of the dispenser while it was being drained, therefore it had less than optimal power.

The reason there was a kino at the end to hound Greer with was because they managed to restore some power to the ship so that they could still work/manage things, i can only assume Riley used this to charge the kino.
        Das guy eating vegetabbles, says 'Waock!' and nice guy obliteratio for sudden.

I always hated that saying...

Comment

idk the kino is weard for me lol thats just one thang i cant understand an im realy open for thangs but wow how dus it flote how dus it gets it info i dont thank it runs on power but id its really confusing for me

Comment

Originally posted by ArchaeoNerd View Post
            I would think the Ancients would have a way to retrieve a kino sent to a toxic planet, as long as the gate is still open and the kino is not destroyed. Although kinos are not as expensive as a MALP, I would assume that there is a finite supply of them on the Destiny and no way to generate more - whereas SGC could always build more MALPs to replace the ones left on other worlds. Maybe the retrieval mechanism is available on the controller Eli carries but he just isn't aware of it.

ArchaeoNerd
            Leaving the kino maybe deliberate. Having it auto dial a return address could bring with it toxic contaminants or even viruses which would be bad. Also with no return to sender address, the kino operator location would not be disclosed to hostile enemies who could either capture the kino or just piggy back/jump into the portal.

The ancients don't seem too concern with going Green and recycling nor does the SGC with the MALPs. A MALP could be installed with an AI to manually dial the DHD with its arm but this has never been shown, for security reason or any other reason.

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
              Would that be unfeasible for the Ancients? Were the Kinos so expendable to them?
              They also had those suits on the ship so if they really needed one they could have thrown on a suit and retrieved it. Eli and co. don't have that luxury on the toxic planet.

Comment

The best explanation is that the Kino's battery was indeed fully charged but that the Destiny sent a shut-down command to the Kino when it entered it's power saving mode. Then Rush was able restart the kino at the same time as the lights and other stuff.
                Currently watching: Dark Matter, 12 Monkeys, Doctor Who, Under the Dome, The Mentalist, The Messengers, The Last Ship, Elementary, Dominion, The Whispers, Extant, Olympus, Da Vinci's Demons, Vikings

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                  Leaving the kino maybe deliberate. Having it auto dial a return address could bring with it toxic contaminants or even viruses which would be bad. Also with no return to sender address, the kino operator location would not be disclosed to hostile enemies who could either capture the kino or just piggy back/jump into the portal.
                  Good points! I didn't think of that.

ArchaeoNerd

Comment

By protective suits, I meant more fabric to cover up with.
                    The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Originally posted by Pizerer View Post
                      Edit: How can anything like a kino be powered wirelessly?
                      Ever heard of the first actual wireless power? PowerMat, very limited in its capacity, however there is much stronger emitters being worked on.
                      There is an excelent TEDTalk on the subject, goto youtube and type out 'wireless power ted".
                      If in 10 years we can have reliable wireless power, why can the Destiny not?

Comment

I've read a news article once where a dude rigged up this mesh to convert radio/tv waves into electricity and all his neighbours were complaining of no reception. He was ordered to stop stealing public radio and tv reception! lol

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
                          I've read a news article once where a dude rigged up this mesh to convert radio/tv waves into electricity and all his neighbours were complaining of no reception. He was ordered to stop stealing public radio and tv reception! lol
                          That's the official story. He probably needed that power to send a sub-space message back to Pegasus... (did he live in a caravan?)
                          Enjoying SGU. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by fmbchris View Post
                            Remember Col. Youngs radio was acting up, so human tech was effected as well. It must be some kind of Sabotage!
                            Maybe that is cause they have been using the ship to charge it up, so somehow the ship knows it's 'CODE" to shut it off when it switches over to power save mode.

I thought the same thing too when they lost the kino to the poisonous planet. There would logically be a way to retrieve it, or more accurately, a way to set it to autodial to the planet it just left
                            The kino itself does not dial, only the remote does.

Comment

Working...
                            X