Greer's issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pipi View Post
    The SGC still holds a trump card called the communication stones. As long as the stones function and every civilian wants their personal time back on Earth, they will have to submit to military authority. There's no way the US government will permit people of an 'independent alien state' to run free on Earth just because they are nice and friendly. The SGC will still expect Colonel Young to obey their commands and the moment he refuses based on Destiny's civilian goverment, imagine what will happen.
    Um, what?

Comment

Originally posted by pipi View Post
      The SGC still holds a trump card called the communication stones. As long as the stones function and every civilian wants their personal time back on Earth, they will have to submit to military authority. There's no way the US government will permit people of an 'independent alien state' to run free on Earth just because they are nice and friendly. The SGC will still expect Colonel Young to obey their commands and the moment he refuses based on Destiny's civilian goverment, imagine what will happen.
      No, you are absolutely wrong. The SGC has already faced the situation of someone disobeying commands in "Earth," trying to replace them, and failing utterly. They cannot replace every person aboard that ship, and they cannot rely on the glitchy stones. This means they have very little tangible influence. Yes, they control the visits. But if they cut them off, then they'd have no ability to even know what's happening aboard Destiny. That's the extent of their power right now. They are merely interested observers. Young has already made it clear that his personal decisions as commander carry more weight than that of the government that placed him in charge. If he was to start sharing that power, it might make SGC mad, but it probably would delight the IOA. Remember, there are complex politics back on Earth too, and there's no such thing as a united presence from the homeworld.

And if the crew forms a mini-nation, that doesn't mean that they won't be allowed visits. We let people from 'independent alien states' run around the US all the time, meaning 'alien' as in foreign, not extraterrestrial. And the Destiny could never be an extraterrestrial nation; they're human, and they're from Earth, even if they aren't there any longer. SGC, the US government, the IOA - all they can do is advise, intimidate occaisonally, and hope that the connection that Young and the rest of the crew feel to Earth stays strong. Ultimately, without a physical presence aboard that ship, they have no real control.

Comment

Originally posted by KEK View Post
        I think he's starting to slowly realise that if he carries on treating people as he does then he's going to end up dying alone.

Um...wha?

Frankly his issue is this

His father abused him and he lived in a disfunctional family, thus his often thunderous silence, I know this from personal experience. Growing up with someone who seems to not care nor notice you can give you serious issues. Greer imo is a psychologists dream

He lives/lived in a disfunctional family, a child living in those conditions is often more stronger and strong minded (if you don't believe me check).

Thus his side affects
        Thunderous Silence
        Claustrophobia
        Stronger
        Epicer

Note: I wish they had shown him decking Telford

Honestly theres not much to it so why debate it.
        Last edited by spinny magee; 07 May 2010, 04:25 AM.
        Tst

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Zelix View Post
          It was not really a military settings or situation here. There's no implication for the global war. Its not a situation of the good of the many here. The many being like 2 other people beside you. Yes Young was right at shooting at the attacking aliens ships when Rush and Chloe were in it. If the Destiny explode Rush and Chloe would die anyway.
          It is not, but as a miltary man we are also taught to think more of the mission. Which at that time was the safety of the 2 others.. You don't needlessly risk 3 lives to save one.'

Comment

Originally posted by Daro View Post
            No, you are absolutely wrong. The SGC has already faced the situation of someone disobeying commands in "Earth," trying to replace them, and failing utterly. They cannot replace every person aboard that ship, and they cannot rely on the glitchy stones. This means they have very little tangible influence. Yes, they control the visits. But if they cut them off, then they'd have no ability to even know what's happening aboard Destiny. That's the extent of their power right now. They are merely interested observers. Young has already made it clear that his personal decisions as commander carry more weight than that of the government that placed him in charge. If he was to start sharing that power, it might make SGC mad, but it probably would delight the IOA. Remember, there are complex politics back on Earth too, and there's no such thing as a united presence from the homeworld.

And if the crew forms a mini-nation, that doesn't mean that they won't be allowed visits. We let people from 'independent alien states' run around the US all the time, meaning 'alien' as in foreign, not extraterrestrial. And the Destiny could never be an extraterrestrial nation; they're human, and they're from Earth, even if they aren't there any longer. SGC, the US government, the IOA - all they can do is advise, intimidate occaisonally, and hope that the connection that Young and the rest of the crew feel to Earth stays strong. Ultimately, without a physical presence aboard that ship, they have no real control.
            I agree with your assessment of Earth's limited influence on Destiny.

Comment

I think the military command is best for the Destiny and the people, democracy is not right for situation as it's not a politcal problem, it's same reason why you don't elect Head of the US military.

As for Greer, I agree he shouldn't have gone off round the corner but I don't think it was an order was it. He didn't reliase there was a risk of a cave-in and just wanted to find a way out, there might be some animosity between Scott and Greer to begin with but Greer will understand, I think it will be Scott who will feel overly guilty for leaving him.

What has Destiny got to do with the SGC isn't that just the facility under Cheyenne mountain. I thought it was down to Homeworld Command to oversee destiny.

Comment

Working...
              X