Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Default Re: Official episode discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by senilegreen View Post
    Enjoyed this Greer-centric story.

My only objection to the story was how easy it was for Eli & the female to decode the alien display device and system. That seemed waaaayyy to quick.

Quite fine with TJ's pregnancy announcement. It was never going to be not awkward.

As for how the stranded trio can reunite with their comrades: The planet on which they are stuck had a previous civilization - perhaps that might be a plot device. Or, since galaxies' stellar distribution don't just drop off to 0 right away, Destiny may find an outlying star system that is in reach of one other gate. Or, the blue aliens might find them.

On that last thought - remember there are two other planets now with stranded humans, and the blue aliens might be searching all planets with stargates for possible humans, now since they found one with a human (Rush.)
    I have an explanation for that, or what at least makes sense in my mind. I think it was made 'easy' because Chloe was kidnapped by the aliens, and experimented with her. Who knows what they did to her. How I understood it, some of their knowledge, etc. may have been placed in her mind. It would explain how she was able to point out that screen without hardly trying. I don't know, my two cents. I think the aliens did something to her brain.

Onto what I thought. As many should tell, I made a thread commenting on the brave move of the writers. Well, I still think that. This had a great ending. I loved this episode and found it to be one of my favorites. There has been nothing that has let me down in this episode. I know some were a bit with the CGI of the Rancor dino-like creature, but I thought it was great. I thought the planets were awesome and there was a great classic Stargate vibe to this. The Greer flashbacks were great, and well done. (And I thought Rush's were just as great in the previous episode.) Great episode.

I'm even considering this episode better than 'Space'. I may have to re-watch 'Space' again, but I'm leaning that way currently. Awesome episode.
    http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...ignature_3.jpg
    There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
    and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Default Re: 'Lost' (115) Alternative General Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
    Mindswapping ? They didn't swap minds with her. The devices they had mounted on them only worked one way. If we even can't translate languages spoken a long time ago on earth with the context how will we ever be able to understand alien language. Thats why the dead sea scroll where so important we need a reference. And you are right : Everything regarding Chloe just seems so -- convenient.

Btw are they going to be weeks and weeks in hyperspace now ? Wonder if the blue aliens will follow them. Not really trilled with these. They lack danger.
    Spoiler:
    But I remember seeing a promo where they seemed to be stepping out of a gate maybe earth ???
    The stones allowed Scott to see residual memories from Telford, something that definitely wasn't in the manual... It stands to reason that the Blue's technology could do similar things, have unforeseen effects. What happened with Chloe seemed perfectly natural to me.

I'm really going off this show, hugely fast, I'll watch it until the end of series 1, but then I think I'll dust off the box-sets and go back to 'real' stargate.
    highly disappointed that the 9th chevron was wasted in such a series of weak premises.

Second Lieutenant

Default Re: 'Lost' (115) General Discussion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzQ1DszTA-8

promo thought I might advertise it a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    I'm really going off this show, hugely fast, I'll watch it until the end of series 1, but then I think I'll dust off the box-sets and go back to 'real' stargate.
    highly disappointed that the 9th chevron was wasted in such a series of weak premises.
    And I fail to see how this has anything to do with the episode... Especially when it's one of the best episodes yet!

I'm glad they are finally using the gates more and we get to see more of that dialing device and how it works. That planet with the dark crystals was really pretty!

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    Real Stargate...Oy vey!

First Lieutenant

was so expecting them to just beat the ticking clock of doom at the end, so it was a welcome change to see them get stuck,

I quite liked the stuck on caprica storyline in bsg and was kinda hoping for similar in faith, so now i hope they'll stay lost for a while

As for the alien ship, after having rush already stumble on to it, wouldnt the aliens either retreive it or blow it up, though i suppose that is what humans would do, the aliens surely dont think like we do

I'm wondering what happened with Chloe, could just be she recognised something she saw on the alien ship, or could be something more sinister

Quote Originally Posted by dosed150 View Post
    I'm wondering what happened with Chloe, could just be she recognised something she saw on the alien ship, or could be something more sinister
    Perhaps it's some strange remnant of the mind-reading device that the aliens used on her and Dr. Rush? Maybe something of them slipped over during the process. I'll be interested to see if this gets elaborated on more as the season/series progresses.
    Sig by Pandora's Box

Lieutenant Colonel xxxevilgrinxxx's Avatar

Thanks for starting a new thread; I can't get into the 'Lost' folder at all...I suppose I should find that funny, given the title
    Quote Originally Posted by Commander Zelix View Post
    As a political student, Chloe was always a smart girl. After reading Jackson's notes on archeology, she saved everyone by appreciating aliens wall drawings and noticing they were indeed a map with her newly found archeologist eyes. Later on we learn she got some rudimentary knowledge of the Alien languages or symbolism by pointing to Eli the correct page to look at for the map. What a combination. Chloe is in the game now.

Let's recall season 1 was already written and filmed before the premiere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex Luther View Post
    Everything regarding Chloe just seems so -- convenient. one minute she's Scott's useless bimbo girlfriend, and the next she's Jonas Quin, speed learning Daniel Jackson's work faster than light! Next week she'll be a doctor, the week after that a firefighter, and who knows what other skills she'll dubiously acquire. She must be a Pretender.
    I'm tacking up the "Chloe is a bimbo/airhead/stupid" to just another echo chamber where people keep repeating the same thing over and over again, hoping it'll stick and that, in the repitition, they can give it validity. Young and naive, yes. Stupid? No.

Nothing any of the fans has said has affected anything that's already been written so the complaining hasn't changed anything.

SGU-RELATED FANART | IN YOUNG WE TRUST | FANDUMB

Staff Sergeant

WOW! This episode has a lot of the "old" Stargate feel to it. Much thanks to the planet-jumping. The ending was both surprising and not so surprising. With this I mean: First when they started to dial the gate I thought : Wow,they made it,but then I remembered that Rush`s team was`nt back so when the gate on Destiny opened I understood right away that it would be Rush and not Scott,Eli and Chloe. I did however believe that if they only did`nt give up after trying once they would make it,but I did`nt know how much time that was left. (Why does some teams always wait until the last minute before going back to the Destiny?) I thought that Rush would arrive more than just minutes before The Destiny went into FTL,so in the end the episode managed to surprise me after all. Interesting that one of the most used action/drama plots in movies (the 1 second left bit) could make me surprised only because it had a double part: 2 teams out,one came back in the last minute,the other is lost because of the first one`s in the last minute arrival. Eh... Did anything of what I wrote here make any sense to anyone else? Its difficult to explain in writing what I meant so I can only hope that my best efforts was good enough.

Over to the other side-stories here:
    TJ/young/child: Nice to see they did`nt use more than 2 episodes (is it?) to wrap this "secret" up. I will give TJ the honor for that. TJ`s character is IMHO one of the best in show. I did expect her to actually try to have that "long talk",but then she surprised me and just said it before there came another interruption. Young did however seem as worried as her to raise/have a child on that ship. Many here have their opinion about his reaction when he was hugging her and so on,but I just sow it as if he was worried,surprised and maybe even scared. Which I will say is understandable. It had to be a big shock to him. So when he said the things he did (maybe things TJ wanted to hear) he really did tried to cover his feelings and worries to think more about TJ in all that rather than himself. It might be because I like Young that I prefer to think this way,but I sincerely believe he is a man with a lot of feelings he feels obligated to hide. It works to some extent,but we`d seen him "loose it" a couple of times,but we might (maybe) get to see a Young with deep worries and maybe even a depression. Who knows really.

Greer`s background story: I did like Rush`s story in "Human" ,but I felt Scott`s story from "Air?" was more boring,and even Young`s wife drama and the wife/Telford-drama I did`nt care for so much,Greer`s was OK. It did not take up to much time from the main plot of the episode,and that is good. I was never bored in this episode,but I am rarely bored when watching SGU anyway. I will however admit that while I watch`ed the episode I always waited for the Scott,Eli and Chloe part,but this episode had a good mix. I like Greer a lot,and I still do. The only worries I have for him now is if he changes because the others had to go. If that happens then am not sure if he is what I thought he was. So I hope his silence and the feelings we sow from him has more to do with him feeling he lost HIS team. Because he did`nt fail that is whats makes him so great.

Rush: Can it be? Is he changed? I always liked Rush`s character and admire his knowledge about so many things,but he has been a "crazy" man. Now he listened to people,taking advice`s and even did a lot to look for the lost people. This to me looks like a changed man. A person that could be what all the people on Destiny needs.

Nice that one man continued Eli`s work recording things.
    James needed someone to talk with,and who is better than TJ?

Well,this only leads to one thing...How in h*** could they get back to the Destiny now? IMO I hope it happens soon. Eli is to important to this show to let it take to long before he`s back on the ship. Even Rush admits (for himself at least) Eli`s importance to understanding Destiny.

This episode is boarder line to perfect,the only thing I can complain about is that its 6 days before the next one. I need a time machine. 9/10

I loved getting a peek into Greer's past. It's nice to see the reasons behind who he is today.

Staff Sergeant

Absolutely loved this episode. Greer's backstory was great. I really thought the ending would be typical 2-episode SG1/Atlantis cliffhanger story with them getting back on the ship and was TOTALLY shocked when they didn't make it. Scott, chloe and eli are big people in the story so hopefully they get back on the ship soon and i am expecting something really cool with how that goes down. This is the first SGU episode where i cannot wait to see the next episode!

First Lieutenant

Quote Originally Posted by dasNdanger View Post
    Excellent episode! Loved Greer's backstory - explains so much about the type of guy he is...that he went back for his dad in the fire. That defines his character...his loyalty. What I liked most about this ep is that it showed a contrast between Greer's sense of duty towards Scott in Air - and Scott's sense of duty (or lack thereof) towards Greer.

Greer never assumed his dad was dead in that fire...he never assumed that Scott was dead in the desert...but with very little effort Scott assumed Greer was dead, and then let Eli call all their next moves. Poor example as a leader. That doesn't mean, however, that I dislike Scott. I like him - I also like the weakness he shows, and wonder if these experiences will eventually make him a better soldier, and a better man.

Good ep - lots of insights into the characters.

das
    I don’t think you can fairly say that Scott was disloyal to Greer. Scott saw the roof collapse directly on top of him. They tried to dig him out and repeatedly yelled and used the radio to try to contact him with no reply. The odds at that point were very slim that he was still alive. If it had been safe to continue to dig then I agree Scott should have done so until they found a body; but remaining in the tunnels was too dangerous. They were very unstable as evidenced by their recent collapse and continued shaking and could have come down on all of them at any moment. Scott made a command decision that it wasn’t worth the risk to continue digging on the very unlikely chance that Greer was still alive.

I can understand how Greer felt they had abandoned him but if it had been him instead of Scott I bet he would have made the same imo correct decision.
    Last edited by Blackhole; May 1st, 2010 at 09:21 AM.

First Lieutenant

Something that bothered me as Greer was running back to the gate was why he didn’t fire his weapon into the air. The sound could have alerted them that he was still alive.

Sweet episode!

Loved the spider again. I still think this was a home planet of the blue aliens. Especially with Chole recognizing things on the map. That rancor was sweet, heard the thud thud thud and thought ...dinosaur? NO A RANCOR!

Quite the mix of planets, very old school sg. Its kinda cool they have to leapfrog gate to gate. So they coulda gone back for the 2 the lost in air if they had wanted to...

I suspect when they are in a galaxy now they will leave destiny with a chart of gates along destiny's course so they are totally screwed if they get left behind. It would be as annoying as hell and scary, but they could jump planets and catch up in an emergency.

I was really on the edge of my seat when Greer was running for the gate! Oh and his dad's a @#$%.

ok, things just keep getting better and better, the only plot i did not like is how they handeld the pregnancy thing. other than that, awesome episode and i think greer is with eli one of my favorites now.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxevilgrinxxx View Post
    Thanks for starting a new thread; I can't get into the 'Lost' folder at all...I suppose I should find that funny, given the title

I'm tacking up the "Chloe is a bimbo/airhead/stupid" to just another echo chamber where people keep repeating the same thing over and over again, hoping it'll stick and that, in the repitition, they can give it validity. Young and naive, yes. Stupid? No.

Nothing any of the fans has said has affected anything that's already been written so the complaining hasn't changed anything.
    Completely agree with this.

Chief Master Sergeant

How does Greer know that he was abandoned on the planet? For all he knows, the others might have been trapped by another cave-in or at least still lost in the labyrinth.

It is possible, however, that even though he was unconscious, he still heard Scott tell him sorry. People that are in comas can sometimes recall events that happen around them.

Chief Master Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by dosed150 View Post
    There was a symbol on the screen that was shaped like the destiny.

I liked this episode, but didn't see it as "classic SG1" like some have said, other than Scott, Eli, and Chloe being the "young and hip" team from episode "200". Thought the dinosaur/evil turtle thing was very bad CGI, about as bad as the CGI from SG1's Uninvited. So two things like SG1.

Other than those two items, I liked the episode. At least the story is moving along.

There are two ways I can immediately think of for the lost three to get back to the Destiny. I just hope we don't get more bickering and backstabbing amongst the three before they get back. Nor amongst the rest of the crew on Destiny. I've about had it with the bickering and backstabbing.

I wouldn't have expected any overly joyfull reactions from any of the crew upon their return to the Destiny since there were still 3 missing people. I thought that was played very well.

I can see Greer feeling like he lost the other three as he was the most experienced person and a senior noncomm. You don't get to his rank without taking care of your people. The flashbacks show he always went after his people even against all odds, so I expect he'll find them or make the situation so the lost three can find him.