No announcement yet.

Why the episode title HUMAN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carlyle's genius as an actor is his ability to act with his face, especially his eyes. It's why I enjoy watching his work. He changes so drastically from one film to another that the man disappears and only the character is on screen. I mean, are Hamish Macbeth, Begbie, and Nicholas Rush really played by the same man?!

I have to agree that Rush is not, at heart, cold and logical. However, in his dream sequence, he and Gloria talk about the changes that have occurred in him since her death. She says he's become callous. He says he's able to make the hard decisions (something he accuses Young of not being able to do).

There's a children's book entitled, The Boy Who Didn't Want to be Sad or something like that. The child doesn't want to be unhappy, so he rids himself of everything that does: locks his pets outside of the house because one day they might die, won't eat ice cream because it might melt and fall off the cone, throws away his toys because they might break, etc. In the end, the boy realizes that these are the very things that make him happy and that happiness is a part of sadness. You can't have one without the other.

I think Rush has recently discovered the same thing. Until now, we've only seen the post-Gloria Rush. He treats people as objects. Look at his obsequious behavior in front of the Senator, the aggressive, sometimes threatening tone with Young, the peerage mannerisms with Wray, and the patronizing remarks to Eli. This "isn't the man I married" Gloria tells him.

We've seen this in characters in other stories. The pain of losing someone is so great that they believe if they can somehow stop feeling, they can avoid any future pain. Consequently, they come across as "cold and logical." In Rush's case, and this is credit to Carlyle, Rush tries to act cold and uncaring. He won't eat with the others, obviously has no friends, bullies the other scientists, and apparently feels no guilt after framing Young for murder. Yet deep down he knows this isn't who he really is and it comes out at Gloria's bedside. "I've never been your conscience." Carlye's facial expressions throughout the series have been our biggest clue that Rush has an internal conflict, that who he is with others is not who he is at heart.

I think in episodes to come, we're going to see more of the Rush that Gloria knew. Maybe the real Rush was emerging just before "Human," and maybe that's why his internal conflict was wrapped around his need to find the code. Only recently he rescued Chloe, sat down at the dinner table with a group of people, and made a "hard decision" that favored people over purpose ("Divided"). In "Lost" he leads the expedition to find Scott, Greer, and Chloe - not an easy task physically or mentally. And he seems to be altering the way he addresses people - not so much contempt.

In this thread I'm asking how the title, "Human" is appropriate. Previous titles have applied to the group as a whole, but this one applies just to Rush? I'm not so sure. Maybe "Humanity" would have been a better title, but I think most of you are right in that "Lucid" is more appropriate. The dream sequence makes is more clear where to find the code and it clarifies a personal issue Rush is having.

Now look at the other characters in conjunction with Rush. If the B story also benefits by the title, how does "Human" apply to Scott, Greer, and Chloe?
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    X