Destiny's main weapon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Destiny's main weapon

i know this is a bit after the episode but was anyone disappointed with destiny's main weapon when they said bring the main weapon online i got super excited i was expecting some epic beam weapon like the one from the point satilitte defense system from SGA but instead its some little piddly pulse gun i spose ou could call it its just a bigger version of the defense guns stationed all over the ship i mean it looked like the enemy ship wasnt even bothered by taking a hit from the main weapon its not sort of the amazing weapon i thought the anicents would build for probably the most important thing they ever built apart from atlantis so i was just wondering if anyone else was as disappointed as i was and maybe throw out some ideas of what they would have liked to have seen destiny be capable of instead.

The aliens did run after taking a few shots so it was at least having an effect. You have to remember that Destiny is a lot older than Atlantis or even SG1 era tech, so there are less chances of having really powerful stuff.

Also, plot wise, we can't have nice things like a super weapon, it would give our side too much power and remove any sense of danger from the show.
    SG rules state that anything Awesome has to be destroyed by the end of the episode, have its power source depleted, be a limited resource or have unforeseen side effects.
    Carter: "The singularity is about to explode!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike. View Post
      The aliens did run after taking a few shots so it was at least having an effect. You have to remember that Destiny is a lot older than Atlantis or even SG1 era tech, so there are less chances of having really powerful stuff.

Also, plot wise, we can't have nice things like a super weapon, it would give our side too much power and remove any sense of danger from the show.
      SG rules state that anything Awesome has to be destroyed by the end of the episode, have its power source depleted, be a limited resource or have unforeseen side effects.
      haha yea i know but still i wish for once thered be something cool that would just stick around i mean in a sense drones stayed around and they can be concieved as a super weapon.

i do understand destiny is older but still for a race as advanced as the ancients were, they should have some beam weapon around even if it was some weak particle beam id still like that more than a cannon type gun and am i the only one that when i see the destiny firing its defense turrets thinks of the rail guns on the daedulus idk it just doesnt feel ancienty if you get what i mean im used to seing the anicents make these outrageous things heck the ship they left the ori galaxy in was like a mini version of atlantis with its stardrive and everything if that isnt just outrageous then i dont know what is.

Comment

There is already a thread on this.

Destiny's main weapon should be a beam not a phew phew.
        Last edited by General Jumper One; 01 May 2010, 05:16 AM.

Comment

sorry dude didnt see a thread on this

Comment

Originally posted by Vitharr View Post
            i know this is a bit after the episode but was anyone disappointed with destiny's main weapon when they said bring the main weapon online i got super excited i was expecting some epic beam weapon like the one from the point satilitte defense system from SGA but instead its some little piddly pulse gun i spose ou could call it its just a bigger version of the defense guns stationed all over the ship i mean it looked like the enemy ship wasnt even bothered by taking a hit from the main weapon its not sort of the amazing weapon i thought the anicents would build for probably the most important thing they ever built apart from atlantis so i was just wondering if anyone else was as disappointed as i was and maybe throw out some ideas of what they would have liked to have seen destiny be capable of instead.
            I have a little friend you might want to meet, his name is "DOT">>>> .

Comment

You know this is old Ancient tech right?

Comment

Actually, I think the main weapon might never have been fired.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=914&pos=850

If you take a look, the bottom barrel is not being fired. Granted, the muzzle looks quite similar to the others,

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=914&pos=836

but the whole thing is shorter and might work in a different manner.

Also, the cannons could have been at low power.

Comment

Since Destiny is so old it makes sense that its primary weapon would seem weak. We got plenty of opportunities to see Ancient Warships in SGA whose level of technology was contemporary with Atlantis. Those Ancient Warships merely held their own against Wraith hive ships. Once Daedalus and Apollo were updated with Asgard beam technology they showed a distinct advantage over the Pegasus Replicators' Ancient Warships. Destiny is older than the Ancient Warships from SGA, alot older. As a result, Destiny would likely be severely outclassed in a battle against a Wraith hive ship or Daedalus-class deep space carrier, possibly even against a Gould mothership. It could be assumed then that the Smurf vessels are not any more powerful than any of the vessels of the previous shows' antagonistic species.

Of course that is all just conjecture and TPTB are free to declare that Destiny is the most powerful ship ever created and the Ancients just got lazy and decided to not build their future warships to be as powerful even though they were locked in a losing battle with the Wraith.

Comment

Originally posted by Vitharr View Post
                    haha yea i know but still i wish for once thered be something cool that would just stick around i mean in a sense drones stayed around and they can be concieved as a super weapon.

i do understand destiny is older but still for a race as advanced as the ancients were, they should have some beam weapon around even if it was some weak particle beam id still like that more than a cannon type gun and am i the only one that when i see the destiny firing its defense turrets thinks of the rail guns on the daedulus idk it just doesnt feel ancienty if you get what i mean im used to seing the anicents make these outrageous things heck the ship they left the ori galaxy in was like a mini version of atlantis with its stardrive and everything if that isnt just outrageous then i dont know what is.

agreed - even more: this ship (the one you speak about) has been around as the ancients left FOR EARTH in the first place (they build atlantis there later - i mean the ancients are only a faction of a larger race and they left in order not to have civil war (or indoktrination via the arc) and they had that technology (star drive) already so atlantis maybe better then what they did have then, but on the other hand: the destiny should be loads better then it is if you compare it to the ship they fled in destiny is a rusty, derelict, old, broken piece of junk....it's like suggesting the ancients devolved (lost some of their technology) then build the destiny and then developped again which is without any logic....

how can i say that atlantis was build later then the run away ship? - the location of the arc was stored in its database, so it must have been build later and as the above mentioned ship was there befor destiny the conclusion is: the ancients must have lost things when building that junker

greetings LAX
                    ps: i still like how the ship looks though (also it should be a little more high tech)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Jansky View Post
                      Actually, I think the main weapon might never have been fired.

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=914&pos=850

If you take a look, the bottom barrel is not being fired. Granted, the muzzle looks quite similar to the others,

http://www.gateworld.net/gallery/dis...um=914&pos=836

but the whole thing is shorter and might work in a different manner.

Also, the cannons could have been at low power.

I thought the same thing. Not to mention the ship is at 40% power. It was feeding the shields & weapons system, might be different when fully powered up.

Comment

Are there any clear references as to when the Destiny was launched? For all we know, it could have been launched long before the divide between Ori/to-be-Alterrans, which could be hundreds of MILLIONS of years ago. Rush says it was launched "100s of 1000s of years ago", which has to be some sort of minimum estimation, since Atlantis could be a few hundred thousad years old, and that's a whole lot more advanced than Destiny.

sorry if any of my "arguments" are outdated, thay haven't aired more than 10 eps in sweden yet, and i haven't been on here for a while.
                        sigpic

Spoiler:
                        Originally posted by IMDB
                        Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                        Hehe

Comment

destiny was launched before atlantis, at the height of the anquieta empire. that must've been some 5 to 10 million years ago

Comment

Still, we do not know at thw height of which empire it was launched. The ancients as a race could have gone through several different cultures both before and after the divide with the Ori, all of which would have had a peak. Since it appears to be so inferior in tech, i would be inclined to believe that it was launched pre-divide. However, it could just seem puny, since we don't know how advanced the "smurfs" are. They were said to be less advanced than the ancients, but not by how much, or when. They could be close to the level of the asgard (and i'm a fanboy, so that means a lot comming from me ), or simply slightly beyond that of the goa'uld.
                            sigpic

Spoiler:
                            Originally posted by IMDB
                            Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                            Hehe

Comment

well Vis Uban would be the crown jewel of the ancient empire, and it wasn't finished because of the plague, while Atlantis was launched because of the plague and they left an infected behind.

so the height and the launch of atlantis were pretty close IMO

Comment

Working...
                              X